Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New York Post forced to apologize over dead "Obama Chimpanzee" cartoon.

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,841 ✭✭✭Running Bing

"It was unfortunate that a paper with a large circulation was posting a cartoon that might suggest violence against the current president. Not that the average American citizen would be compelled by such a small thing, but that there were gun-toting nut jobs in America that were just looking for any kind of encouragement, and the fact that police were doing the shooting gave it an official feel that it was OK to blow him away."

Hang on now.....are you saying that if George Bush was still pres you (and that student) would be just as upset because it advocates violence against a president?

Fair enough but thats a separate issue to the racism one. It is obviously facetious and in bad taste but a racist cartoon? I think its destructive that it would even be classed as such.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,588 ✭✭✭✭Sand

If anyone seriously believes that cartoon is racist, then they seriously dismiss the seriousness of racism. But nobody actually can believe that the cartoon was making any personal remark on Obama*. It was very, very clearly mocking the stimulus bill itself.

Its just useful for fans of Obama to run about defending their hero by denouncing any criticism whatsoever of his programs, policies or bills [ not the man himself, unlike the slurs against Bush which were very definitly personal] as being inherently racist.

* If anyone does believe it, then they really, really need to get over themselves.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 47,258 CMod ✭✭✭✭Black Swan

Babybing wrote: »
    Hang on now.....are you saying that if George Bush was still pres you (and that student) would be just as upset because it advocates violence against a president?
    Firstly, the statement you quoted was not mine, but of an African American student viewing the cartoon in a coffee house I happened to be in (see my post and the quotation marks). Secondly, I would never advocate violence against GW Bush or any president. Just because I think him:
    • incompetent by not accomplishing anything to mitigate the largest financial meltdown since the Great Depression
    • distrustful by scaring Congress and the American people with nonexistent weapons of mass destruction into the Second Gulf War
    • fiscally irresponsible by allowing the federal deficit to almost double during his 8 years in office
    • corrosive of civil rights by spying on millions of innocent American phone and Internet communications, denying them their rights to privacy and due process
    • violator of human rights by torturing combatants from the wars in Afghanistan and Iraq, and prolonging the incarceration of illegal immigrant men, women, and children in Texas prisons-for-profit (prison corporations traded on the stock exchange).
    Just because I think of him as the worst president in US history, doesn't mean that I would take my shoes off and throw them at him should he come to our USC campus on the lecture circuit.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,706 ✭✭✭Matt Holck

I hadn't thought about the violence aspect.

It's obviously racist as a monkey is not a human
    well nearly human, 97% by genetic code [1]

This suggests that helping others out is something that even a monkey could do.
    After all, they do live in communities.
    Maybe it suggests helping others is natural

To quote a King of the Hill episode

"I've found that most of life's questions can be answered with this question: What would a monkey do?"- Lucky

• Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭ManwitaPlan

Firstly, the statement you quoted was not mine, but of an African American student viewing the cartoon in a coffee house I happened to be in (see my post and the quotation marks). Secondly, I would never advocate violence against GW Bush or any president. Just because I think him:
    • incompetent by not accomplishing anything to mitigate the largest financial meltdown since the Great Depression
    • distrustful by scaring Congress and the American people with nonexistent weapons of mass destruction into the Second Gulf War
    • fiscally irresponsible by allowing the federal deficit to almost double during his 8 years in office
    • corrosive of civil rights by spying on millions of innocent American phone and Internet communications, denying them their rights to privacy and due process
    • violator of human rights by torturing combatants from the wars in Afghanistan and Iraq, and prolonging the incarceration of illegal immigrant men, women, and children in Texas prisons-for-profit (prison corporations traded on the stock exchange).
    Just because I think of him as the worst president in US history, doesn't mean that I would take my shoes off and throw them at him should he come to our USC campus on the lecture circuit.

Hang on, now your saying you dont think Bush was a good president?

Only joking.;) The question still stands are you disgusted by the cartoon because it advocates violence against the president and if GWB was still president would you be equally upset by it?

I think to say it advocates violence against the president is going too far anyway. Satirical jokes are made about politicians all the time. If we were to take everything Jon Stewart and his daily show team said over the past years literally they'd have been run off tv long ago.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,987 ✭✭✭JohnMc1

How did Obama respond to the cartoon, or did he ignore it? I would guess the latter (unless someone brings it up in a press conference).

He probably chuckled and got on with his day and left his mindless sheep to cry like babies over it.

• Registered Users Posts: 83,297 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

GuanYin wrote: »
    I thought the point of the cartoon was "a monkey could have written the stimulus plan" - ya know, like 1 million monkeys at 1 million typewriters....
    So easy a cave man can do it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 795 ✭✭✭Pocono Joe

Overheal wrote: »
    So easy a cave man can do it

Are you calling Nancy Pelosi and Harry Reed Neanderthals? Overheal, I have a new found respect for you! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 83,297 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Pocono Joe wrote: »
    Are you calling Nancy Pelosi and Harry Reed Neanderthals? Overheal, I have a new found respect for you! :D
    lols :rolleyes:

caveman_3.jpg

Not that I have any love for Pelosi or Reed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 795 ✭✭✭Pocono Joe

Just found out the NY Post's evil cartoonist (according to the Rev. Al Sharpton anyway) is a local boy.
    http://www.mcall.com/news/local/all-a1_3cartoon.6797766feb26,0,198920.story

• Advertisement
Advertisement