Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Design of Terminal 2 at Dublin Airport

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭Mill21

Stevek101 wrote: »
    New style signs are up in Gate C now... Strange.

Yeah, haven't been down there in a while but those new signs are going up all over the airport

• Registered Users Posts: 1,281 ✭✭✭Stevek101

They only went up in the last day or two. I still find it really weird they put them up there, as you said they hardly use the section now! As far as I can remember the gate numbers even went up to the ones that don't exist anymore! :confused:

Oh and I meant to say there is a new website on the way. Some was giving out about the maps on the site a while back. They are really going to be pushing "The Loop" (their rebranded shopping section).

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,632 ✭✭✭darkman2

You mean they are changing dublinairport.com?

Is'nt Pier C going to be an integral connection between the two terminals though?

Yep, dublinairport.com. It was suppose to be introduced along with "The Loop" from what I gathered but I know for sure that it is well under way.

I've heard two things. The first being what you said, that Pier C will be the connection. I also heard there'd be direct connection from E to B which makes no sense to me! Why bother when C is attached to T2!

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,750 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

It was a scandalous waste of money building Pier C in 1999/2000 only to have it out of commission within 8 years to make way for T2.:mad::(

Very, very poor foresight on the part of DAA.

• Advertisement

Just look at T1X! The whole entrance has been changed and that's only been open a few months. What about the smoke machine too...

• Registered Users Posts: 9,307 ✭✭✭markpb

JupiterKid wrote: »
    It was a scandalous waste of money building Pier C in 1999/2000 only to have it out of commission within 8 years to make way for T2.:mad::(

I agree it was wasteful but I suspect Bertie's dithering for over a decade about whether or not (and indeed where) T2 would be built caused a lot of confusion in DAA and stopped them making any serious long term plans.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 5,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭spacetweek

JupiterKid wrote: »

They had to do something though. And Pier C is cheap and nasty. Not so much money wasted really.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭D'Peoples Voice

dmeehan wrote: »
    http://www.dublinairport.com/at-airport/airport-maps/pier-c.html

its still there, the link is mysteriously hidden for some reason??? :rolleyes:

How do I get to Pier D from the Departures Area?
    map_departures.gif

I'm sure someone said thats where my Ryanair flight to the UK departs from.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,316 ✭✭✭KC61

Follow the same route as Pier A and it branches off to the right as you take your long walk.....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,476 ✭✭✭ardmacha

There is a strong case for renumbering the gates in Terminal 1 when Terminal 2 opens, so that C is beside D and so on.

ardmacha wrote: »
    There is a strong case for renumbering the gates in Terminal 1 when Terminal 2 opens, so that C is beside D and so on.

Why confuse people more? Regular passengers know exactly where A, B, C and D are already!

Changing pier identities around would only add to the confusion!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,501 ✭✭✭zagmund

So that irregular passengers don't go off on a mad one and think that B is to be found between A & C and that D is to be found after C.

z

• Registered Users Posts: 7,588 ✭✭✭Bluetonic

zagmund wrote: »
    So that irregular passengers don't go off on a mad one and think that B is to be found between A & C and that D is to be found after C.

z
    It already is.

Anyhow it's grand the way it is -> A (anticlockwise) B (anticlockwise) C (anticlockwise) D.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,464 ✭✭✭✭Alun

That's why they have signs. They can call them Z, Q, P and K for all I care as long as the signage is correct.

:(
    How do I get to Pier D from the Departures Area?
    map_departures.gif

I'm sure someone said thats where my Ryanair flight to the UK departs from.

Pretty simple. After you go through security go right along the street (shopping area). It then splits into A and D. Stay right again for Pier D. It's very clearly sign posted.
    Just don't go down to A and you'll have no problems.

And all Ryanair flights go from down there. They like it (as much as they like anything) because they use the stairs and don't have to pay for airbridges

Just look at T1X! The whole entrance has been changed and that's only been open a few months. What about the smoke machine too...

What smoke machine?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,501 ✭✭✭zagmund

What I still don't get is where that diagram actually represents . . .

What's with the lego blocks in the middle of the picture ? What are they ?

I guess land-side is at the bottom of the picture, but I can't relate that to the two different security check areas in Dublin airport.

All I'm saying above is that if you have the piers in order then it becomes relatively simple to navigate your way around. If you start off at A, you're looking for B and you've got to C then you've gone too far. And that's without having to refer to any diagrams or signs other than the one you checked at the start that showed you they were in order.

Don't forget that a large number of people coming through the airport are visitors and are by definition not regular visitors to the airport. They are not in a position to get familiar with the intricacies of the layout. A simple A-B-C-D in order layout can only help.

z

• Registered Users Posts: 21,464 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Don't forget that a large number of people coming through the airport are visitors and are by definition not regular visitors to the airport. They are not in a position to get familiar with the intricacies of the layout. A simple A-B-C-D in order layout can only help.
    :confused: I would have thought that the very first thing anyone with half a brain who was unfamiliar with where to go in an airport, or any large building for that matter, would do would be to look for signs. There doesn't have to be any underlying logic to it in that case.

What I still don't get is where that diagram actually represents . . .

What's with the lego blocks in the middle of the picture ? What are they ?

I guess land-side is at the bottom of the picture, but I can't relate that to the two different security check areas in Dublin airport.

All I'm saying above is that if you have the piers in order then it becomes relatively simple to navigate your way around. If you start off at A, you're looking for B and you've got to C then you've gone too far. And that's without having to refer to any diagrams or signs other than the one you checked at the start that showed you they were in order.

z

The "lego blocks" are the check-in desks.

The security areas are the two areas with the upside down "L Shapes" to the top left and top right of the picture.

I still think you would annoy more people than not by changing pier identities.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,133 ✭✭✭Slice

Did anyone read the article in the Sunday Times last week about the DAA's response to Siptu's suggestion T2 gets mothballed? The head of Dublin Airport was saying that the more likely situation would be that T1 is shut down...

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 5,028 Mod ✭✭✭✭G_R

Slice wrote: »
    Did anyone read the article in the Sunday Times last week about the DAA's response to Siptu's suggestion T2 gets mothballed? The head of Dublin Airport was saying that the more likely situation would be that T1 is shut down...

cant find it online... link?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,032 ✭✭✭DWCommuter

While T2 looks absolutely great and is badly needed, I think SIPTU are bananas saying it should be mothballed, but whats with this talk of closing T2?

And for the record the decomissioning of pier c to make way for T2 really does highlight the balls that FF made of the boom years. Just take a look at all the bypasses now being bypassed! What is the problem us Irish have with developing well thought out plans that achieve results in stages?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,133 ✭✭✭Slice

dannym08 wrote: »
    cant find it online... link?

It doesn't appear to be posted online. It's on the front page of the business section.

• Registered Users Posts: 430 ✭✭Doodoo

3913074212_8ef6c1f561.jpg
    Level 30

3912286995_3d072a389c.jpg
    Level 30

3913067816_0a8036fb9c.jpg
    Level 30

3912280723_8605ced27d.jpg
    Link Bridge

3913025280_07a73b22b3.jpg
    New road headin towards terminal 1

3913029044_84f92b3a62.jpg
    Terminal 2

• Registered Users Posts: 430 ✭✭Doodoo

Nice pictures. It is really coming along! I seen it lit up all blue tonight. Looked very nice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 somethingfunny

Nice pictures. It is really coming along! I seen it lit up all blue tonight. Looked very nice.

6500479.th.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 9,792 ✭✭✭antoinolachtnai

Slice wrote: »

I know a man who will rent T1 from them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 979 ✭✭✭stevedublin

I know a man who will rent T1 from them.

Micko Leary?
    Ulick McEvaddy?

Advertisement