Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Design of Terminal 2 at Dublin Airport

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,792 ✭✭✭antoinolachtnai

Well, I was thinking of Mick O'Leary.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

That would be perfect. divide T1 so that passengers only have access to Piers A and D, then link in pier B to T2 and it keeps Ryanair passengers away from everyon else.

Imagine, a terminal free of people in shellsuits repacking their bags to get them under 15 kilos :D

(Yes, I do fly Ryanair pretty often myself)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,281 ✭✭✭Stevek101

All the better if it were to happen, some well needed competition. Mind you DAA wouldn't do to well out of it.

That would be perfect. divide T1 so that passengers only have access to Piers A and D, then link in pier B to T2 and it keeps Ryanair passengers away from everyon else.

Imagine, a terminal free of people in shellsuits repacking their bags to get them under 15 kilos :D

(Yes, I do fly Ryanair pretty often myself)

There's only one problem with that.

The brand new swanky shopping area, with that caviar place and "waters of the world" is on the way to Pier A.

And worse, they'd have blocked off Starbucks to us Non Ryanairs! NOOO!:eek::eek::eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 430 ✭✭Doodoo

Not sure if the last photos came out as i cant see them and the edit function is gone.

4133542329_aa9e6e3a74_m.jpg

4133539345_480e4501ca_m.jpg

• Advertisement

4174602175_f48379fb23_m.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,133 ✭✭✭mysterious

The design of the T2 is horrendous, montrous, monotonous, curry heap of ****e imo. Its just bloody awful. Hope it looks good on the inside. Who designed it. Seeems like unimaginative desparation here again. Oh lets put a curve on it, might look sexy.

However not really!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,319 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

is O'Leary right that the design is outdated by not taking into account internet check in?

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭Irish and Proud

silverharp wrote: »
    is O'Leary right that the design is outdated by not taking into account internet check in?

Remember, T2 is not a low cost terminal, so internet check-in might not be as big a priority for airlines other those which are low cost. Ryanair will certainly not be using T2, and I guess that Aer Lingus will not use T2 for short haul purposes either - Aer Lingus short haul is low cost too. Also, low cost airlines want the customers to do more of the paperwork in order to keep costs down. It may be a case of the level of service that T2 is designed for. Even if deep queue areas become obsolete, there would still be a need for future additional capacity regarding other aspects of airports - unless Maglev or TGV starts taking over - not likely in Ireland though.

Regards!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,576 ✭✭✭lord lucan

Based on Ryanairs current policy of online check-in no later than 4 hours prior to flight i can't see how it'd be expected of passengers to be turning up 4/5 hours before a flight. I think Mo'L was just using it as another excuse to have a pop at the DAA.

As was pointed out above,it'll be mainly EI/American carriers and other long haul routes operating out of T2 so it's of no consequence to Ryanair what they do with it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭Plowman

This post has been deleted.

Word is that she's on schedule to open in March. Looking forward to going inside it instead of looking at it.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,588 ✭✭✭Bluetonic

Plowman wrote: »
    Was planned for 2010/11 but on hold now.

000178.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭Irish and Proud

Plowman wrote: »

There was a long term plan to add a new pier parallel to Pier E beside the cargo terminal - in effect, it would have been an L-shaped extension of Pier C, so it might well have been called 'Pier C'. However, when T2 was granted permission, one condition was that there'd be no provision for any extension to T2, so time will tell if that Pier will eventually get built as part of a seperate planning application - T3 (for low cost airlines) would probably get planning priority though!

Hope this helps!

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,750 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

I like the design of T2 but it's a bit of a hackneyed copy of plenty of other airport terminals built in the past 15 or so years.

It was criminal the way that Pier C was sacrificed for T2 just 9 or so years after being built itself.

Pier B is OK - very dated now, very much a throwback to 1960s terminal designs but it works fine. Pier A badly needs to be completely rebuilt - it's a mess.

And that's the overall problem with Dublin Airport - visually it's a hotch potch of different styles and designs as oppoosed to a sleek overall consistency.

• Registered Users Posts: 802 ✭✭✭Lollymcd

Pity DAA didn't examine other airports which were recently built, Suvarnabhumi Airport in Bangkok is how all airports should look imo. Sleek, user friendly and not too too big while still handling a large amont of traffic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,133 ✭✭✭Slice

Give it a chance, it hasn't even opened yet

• Registered Users Posts: 3,410 ✭✭✭chewed

JupiterKid wrote: »
    it's a hotch potch of different styles and designs as oppoosed to a sleek overall consistency.

Sounds like Heathrow Airport!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,501 ✭✭✭zagmund

According to todays Irish Times, DAA are renumbering their gates so that they actually follow in sequence. Well done, I say.

You read it here first . . .

z
    zagmund wrote: »
    Any chance they might re-designate the terminal, pier, area and all other numbers while they're at it ?

It seems that DAA is more interested in inventing complicated (to the occasional traveller) naming structures than in making the airport easy to navigate. Does anyone know where areas 1 to 13 went to ? Was there a really, really, really good customer focused reason for designating a new check-in area as Area 14 ?

Given the lack of a public 'terminal 1' designation for the existing main building, it would have made sense (to me at least) to name the first terminal building that you meet on the approach road as Terminal 1 and the second one as Terminal 2. I know it's not essential if people read all the appropriate signage, but it sure makes things easier for people who are trying to work out which lane to get into. Sure, Heathrow doesn't do a good job of it, but I don't think anyone is holding Heathrow out as a great airport design. Schiphol, now that's a different story.

As a matter of interest have a look here - http://www.dublinairport.com/at-airport/airport-maps/departures.html - how many errors can you spot ? Can you even work out where that is a map of ? There are direction signs off to Piers A, B & C, but Pier C doesn't seem to exist any more. No indication of check-in desks either mind you.

Anyhoo, I'm going off track a little here. Back to the original question - any chance they are going to re-designate the numbering system to make it easier to navigate ? And don't tell me that the direction signage is perfect so there's no benefit in renumbering. They made a fair stab at getting the long term car park zones in order.

z

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,632 ✭✭✭darkman2

New pics from DAA website

New_T2_3.JPG

New_T2_4.JPG

New_T2_5.JPG

New_T2_8.JPG

New_T2_14.JPG

New_T2_22.JPG

New_T2_36.JPG

New_T2_38.JPG

New_T2_39.JPG

Link road

New_T2_44.JPG

New_T2_51.JPG

New_T2_52.JPG

New_T2_49.JPG

New_T2_41.JPG

New_T2_40.JPG

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,632 ✭✭✭darkman2

New_T2_50.JPG

New_T2_9.JPG

• Registered Users Posts: 359 ✭✭Tallaght Saint

Really bizarre news here, my girlfriends' dad is working on T2 and he said there was workers arrested yesterday for walking down the fire escape even though it's not open yet :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 57 ✭✭Metrostar

Must say, I am very impressed with the design. The use of natural light gives the place a very calm, spacious and natural feeling. This terminal will project the kind of modern, open and sophisticated environment Ireland needs to compete for investment with other European countries, particularly the PIGS (Portugal, Italy, Greece and Spain).

Unfortunately, the PIGS are already ahead of us when it comes to having underground rail in their capital cities. Madrid, in particular, impresses.

• Registered Users Posts: 250 ✭✭davebuck

It looks very good so far and hopefully the new road layout will work for both T1+T2,I feel it will be worth the extra €2 or so on the passenger charges over all and its there for the next 20 years or so,I don't agree with Ryanair or MOL on their views on the Dublin airport costs but do agree with the €10 departure tax being a joke.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 108 ✭✭eia340600

Lollymcd wrote: »
    Pity DAA didn't examine other airports which were recently built, Suvarnabhumi Airport in Bangkok is how all airports should look imo. Sleek, user friendly and not too too big while still handling a large amont of traffic.

Within a short while of opening Suvarnabhumi there were cracks in taxiways and a huge part of the airport had to be closed.And how you can say it's not to big, I don't know, because on opening it had the biggest single terminal building in the world.And the sleek bit you see is technically the hotel.Can't put down the interior though.

4596132616_1d414f6076_m.jpg
    Departures

4595534075_b2e933d6b1_m.jpg
    Security Checks

4596153498_e67baf0659_m.jpg
    Check in/Departures

4595540479_1b2f247a58_m.jpg
    Check in/Departures

4595544063_fb91de5eca_m.jpg
    Check in

4596162886_e8a4dc50f7_m.jpg