Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Empire Total War demo!

Options
  • 20-02-2009 3:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,020 ✭✭✭

Sega has emailed to say that the Empire: Total War demo will hit Steam today at 4pm GMT.

The demo features two battles.

You'll be able to play as the British Empire against the upstart colonials at the Battle of Brandywine Creek.

Then you can try your hand at the game's new naval warfare when you command the French Navy at the Battle of Lagos.

The full game is released on March 3rd. I'm about as excited as excited gets.

Enjoy people!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,987 ✭✭✭Auvers

oh sweet Jesus *drools* my weekend is sorted :D

• Registered Users Posts: 9,249 ✭✭✭Stev_o

Want proof right now!

Auvers wrote: »

Sweeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeet.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,500 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

It will be on Steam very soon.:)

EDIT: http://store.steampowered.com/app/10620/

• Advertisement

It will be on Steam very soon.:)

How soon the links said 4 GMT! God damn Valve time......

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,500 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

Is anyone having any issues installing it? If so, simply restart Steam.

awhir wrote: »
    it that 4pm gmt or usa ?

It is already out. Click here.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,227 ✭✭✭awhir

It is already out. Click here.:)

thanks just found it there :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,742 ✭✭✭Branoic

Oh heaven above, I just came. Stuck in work another hour though :(

• Advertisement

Branoic wrote: »
    Stuck in work another hour though :(

thats what logmein is for ;) my download is complete and ready to play as soon as I walk in the door

Argh this game is painfully slow to load in every aspect. Getting to the main menu takes a age, so does configuring settings and don't even start me about the loading for the battles! Hope this is just me and i can sort it out!

Stev_o wrote: »
    Argh this game is painfully slow to load in every aspect. Getting to the main menu takes a age, so does configuring settings and don't even start me about the loading for the battles! Hope this is just me and i can sort it out!

Yep, same - annoying as hell. I guess its just the demo.

Yep, same - annoying as hell. I guess its just the demo.

Iv just said this to you twice on steam forums and this haha.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,020 ✭✭✭Ardscoil Ris

Not painfully slow to load for me, but then again, I'm using 8 gigs of RAM :D

Arg this is ridiculous! Steam is downloading the demo at an average speed of 40 KB/s!! It says it'll be ready to play in 4 hours! 4 HOURS!

Arg this is ridiculous! Steam is downloading the demo at an average speed of 40 KB/s!! It says it'll be ready to play in 4 hours! 4 HOURS!

Check the download options and make sure selected in the right region.

Check the download options and make sure selected in the right region.

Yep, it was already correctly set to UK / Ireland :mad:

Yep, it was already correctly set to UK / Ireland :mad:

Unlucky you so :P

• Registered Users Posts: 2,378 ✭✭✭Krieg

Ooh, Downloading now

Thanks for the info

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,004 ✭✭✭✭titan18

what size is the file to download?

• Registered Users Posts: 747 ✭✭✭uglyjohn

me too :( its gonna take ages.
    titan18 wrote: »
    what size is the file to download?

2 gigs aprox

Unlucky you so :P

Checked the Steam forums and there were a couple other people with the same kind of download speeds. I changed the download region to East Coast USA and its now downloading a more healthy 320 KB/s. Yay.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,378 ✭✭✭Krieg

Silly steam. I get to 99% and its decides to jump from 500kb/s to 12kb/s
    Gonna try playing around with the region

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭Sean Templar

Sega has emailed to say that the Empire: Total War demo will hit Steam today at 4pm GMT.

The demo features two battles.

You'll be able to play as the British Empire against the upstart colonials at the Battle of Brandywine Creek.

Then you can try your hand at the game's new naval warfare when you command the French Navy at the Battle of Lagos.

The full game is released on March 3rd. I'm about as excited as excited gets.

Enjoy people!

The total war series rocks.I got away with the last one medievil just,but i don;t think the auld pc will be able to handle the new one.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,183 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Well, whats it like, like?

It's pretty damn good.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,685 ✭✭✭✭BlitzKrieg

impressions

It was painfully slow to load for me aswell

But

the flipside is that more so then any other prior Total war entry this has to be the smoothest one to run ingame. Maybe for once I am actually ahead of the bellcurve in the updating hardware of things but I dont think so. I have Medieval 2 on my machine on max out settings and it still has a sligh slug to its motion.

But Empire. Wow, it looked fantastic and it ran with not a single ingame issue of slowdown or tearing or anything.

Felt very satisfying.

I did the two tutorials to get a feel for the changes. THe land combat actually does feel refreshing with a mix of new and old and the maps have a bit more natural feel to them rather then the field with a few hills that made up the majority of the prior games maps, this one felt it was actually somewhere. The tutorial didnt give me access to alot of choices and I am tired so I cant say much on the land battles beyond that.

THe naval battle was where I wanted to be. First, drop dead gorgeous water and ships. Really fantastic. But outside of that the tutorial gave me the basics but sadly not much in the way of tactical tips.

So when I went on to do a full battle I floundered a bit in trying to work out what went where and I lost. My naval tactical knowledge goes as far as knowing to Cross the T if possible. I put my loss mostly down to beign tired and will give it a better try tomorrow.

I might admit that my only worry on naval battles is that they could get a bit repetitive if not much diversity beyond what is shown in the demo is put into them. I hope the campaign allows for a number of scenarios such as priveterring on merchants, storms etc. Either that or unlike the land battles naval units will be treated as something very valuable and you simply cant replace your lossess in a number of rounds making naval battles for both sides something not to be done on a whim.

If I have time tomorrow I'll get proper stuck in. But I admit the long loading times are a bit offputting, but once your pass them, its perfect.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,967 ✭✭✭Pyr0

Playing a game at 6:04 tends to do that to you ;)

Looking forward to giving this a bash and seeing how they pull of the new fighting styles and era as a whole.

• Advertisement

BlitzKrieg wrote: »
    impressions

It was painfully slow to load for me aswell

But

the flipside is that more so then any other prior Total war entry this has to be the smoothest one to run ingame. Maybe for once I am actually ahead of the bellcurve in the updating hardware of things but I dont think so. I have Medieval 2 on my machine on max out settings and it still has a sligh slug to its motion.

But Empire. Wow, it looked fantastic and it ran with not a single ingame issue of slowdown or tearing or anything.

Felt very satisfying.

I did the two tutorials to get a feel for the changes. THe land combat actually does feel refreshing with a mix of new and old and the maps have a bit more natural feel to them rather then the field with a few hills that made up the majority of the prior games maps, this one felt it was actually somewhere. The tutorial didnt give me access to alot of choices and I am tired so I cant say much on the land battles beyond that.

THe naval battle was where I wanted to be. First, drop dead gorgeous water and ships. Really fantastic. But outside of that the tutorial gave me the basics but sadly not much in the way of tactical tips.

So when I went on to do a full battle I floundered a bit in trying to work out what went where and I lost. My naval tactical knowledge goes as far as knowing to Cross the T if possible. I put my loss mostly down to beign tired and will give it a better try tomorrow.

I might admit that my only worry on naval battles is that they could get a bit repetitive if not much diversity beyond what is shown in the demo is put into them. I hope the campaign allows for a number of scenarios such as priveterring on merchants, storms etc. Either that or unlike the land battles naval units will be treated as something very valuable and you simply cant replace your lossess in a number of rounds making naval battles for both sides something not to be done on a whim.

If I have time tomorrow I'll get proper stuck in. But I admit the long loading times are a bit offputting, but once your pass them, its perfect.

I wouldn't jump for joy yet about the smooth gameplay because a lot of textures and high quality models were left out of the game.

Advertisement