Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

"Civilian 'slaughter' in Sri Lanka "

Options
  • 20-02-2009 4:26pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭

The campaign group, Human Rights Watch, has accused the Sri Lankan army of "slaughter" and rebels of "brutality" towards civilians in the north-east.
    It called on the government to end its "indiscriminate artillery attacks" on civilians and its policy of "detaining displaced persons in internment camps". Human Rights Watch also condemned the Tamil Tigers for "increased brutality" towards trapped civilians.
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/south_asia/7901321.stm

One wonders if theres any risk of Indian intervention, if not in direct support of the Tamils, but because of the treatment of the civillian population and to indulge in a bit of muscle flexing.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,747 ✭✭✭✭wes

I don't think India will get involved in this, directly. There may be support to the LTTE (or other groups) from the state governments in the south.

I honestly don't think the Indian government is all to bothered about the civilians deaths. Also, they wouldn't want to be seen as supporting "terror".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

wes wrote: »
    I don't think India will get involved in this, directly. There may be support to the LTTE (or other groups) from the state governments in the south.

I honestly don't think the Indian government is all to bothered about the civilians deaths. Also, they wouldn't want to be seen as supporting "terror".

They did stick their beaks in before though. They don't have good relations with the Tamil organisation as a result, but there might be a chance they want to wave the penis around to annoy Pakistan.

Nodin wrote: »
    They did stick their beaks in before though. They don't have good relations with the Tamil organisation as a result, but there might be a chance they want to wave the penis around to annoy Pakistan.

They did support various Tamil groups at one point, but I think after Rajiv Ghandi was assasinated by a LTTE suicide bomber, the federal Indian government relations have cooled with groups there. The Southern Indian state governments may offer some support for there fellow Tamils on the other hand.

Also, I don't see why Pakistan would be all that bothered by what going in Sri Lanka. To the best of my knowledge, I don't think anyone really cares about it there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 532 ✭✭✭Pub07

Come on Nodin. There are a lot more important problems than Sri Lanka to worry about.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,373 ✭✭✭Dr Galen

Pub07 wrote: »
    Come on Nodin. There are a lot more important problems than Sri Lanka to worry about.

what the hells that supposed to mean???

I'm not going to make any assumptions about the context in which you made that comment, but i have a fair idea.

No expert myself on Indian and Sri Lankan affairs, but you'd assume that the Indians would be worried about this sort of thing on their doorstep as such. Certainly, in large parts of southern India, familial links etc exist between the countries.

You never know either, things have been relatively quiet on the India/Pakistan front. Maybe a little sabre rattling over this is a nice subtle message to the Pakisatanis to keep their house in order

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 532 ✭✭✭Pub07

what the hells that supposed to mean???

Well, we have to end apartheid for one. And slow down the nuclear arms race, stop terrorism and world hunger. We have to provide food and shelter for the homeless, and oppose racial discrimination and promote civil rights, while also promoting equal rights for women. We have to encourage a return to traditional moral values. Most importantly, we have to promote general social concern and less materialism in young people.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,373 ✭✭✭Dr Galen

Well, we have to end apartheid for one. And slow down the nuclear arms race, stop terrorism and world hunger. We have to provide food and shelter for the homeless, and oppose racial discrimination and promote civil rights, while also promoting equal rights for women. We have to encourage a return to traditional moral values. Most importantly, we have to promote general social concern and less materialism in young people.

ok phew i thought you were going to come up with something to do with the recession, golden circles/triangles/dodecahedrons or some other such answer which appear to have taken over the politics forum lately.

maybe i'm missing it though, was this a serious answer to the question? As i'd see it, discussing the ongoing conflict in Sri Lanka ties in with what you say we should be doing. Have a read around the subject and then match that to your points above such as stopping terrorism, providing food and shelter, and promoting general social concern etc etc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

Well, we (....)less materialism in young people.

My cup of sarcasm overfloweth.

I deeply apologise for occassionally giving a crap about persons other than myself. I will endavour to bury such notionins under more latte and me,me, me in future.

My next thread will start "What are they whining about now...."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭Serenity Now!

Also, I don't see why Pakistan would be all that bothered by what going in Sri Lanka. To the best of my knowledge, I don't think anyone really cares about it there.

Sri Lanka hosts important strategic bases for US and British navy and airforce so neither Pakistan or India will touch it.

Sri Lanka hosts important strategic bases for US and British navy and airforce so neither Pakistan or India will touch it.

I was unaware of that, but I doubt Pakistan would get involved regardless of a US base being there or not.

India on the other hand has in the past got involved in the conflict, and I would not be surprised if they get involved at least indirectly.
    Tamil protesters vent their fury

They were tired. They were irritated. They were staying put.

Hundreds of Tamil protesters camped out in Parliament Square, having been moved on from nearby Westminster Bridge, which they had blocked overnight with a mass sit-down demonstration.

The square, usually occupied only by full-time anti-Iraq war campaigner Brian Haw and a few colleagues, was bustling with people.

A day after their demonstration - aimed at getting Gordon Brown to push for an end to the civil war in Sri Lanka - began, the anger was still evident.

Click here for rest of article

I have to say it was inevitable that the Tamil dispora in the UK would eventually take to the streets. I can fully understand there anger at there fellow Tamils being murdered right now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,476 ✭✭✭ardmacha

The Tamil Tigers are a bad lot and are doing a Hitler bunker defence when the situation is lost. If they had any concern for their own people they would agree to surrender and aks for the UN, Red Cross etc to manage things and ensure that proper supervision is in place for the treatment of prisoners and the like.

ardmacha wrote: »
    The Tamil Tigers are a bad lot and are doing a Hitler bunker defence when the situation is lost. If they had any concern for their own people they would agree to surrender and aks for the UN, Red Cross etc to manage things and ensure that proper supervision is in place for the treatment of prisoners and the like.

I agree the Tigers are bad, but the Sri Lankan government are in no position to claim any kind of moral superiority. They have been treating the Tamil populace as a 2nd class citizenry long before the Tigers showed up.

I doubt Pakistan would get involved regardless of a US base being there or not

Thats what the ISI is for. There are proxy conflicts/ops in action all over the world. Why would an Indian/western supported govt in Sri Lanka not receive any attention?

Thats what the ISI is for. There are proxy conflicts/ops in action all over the world. Why would an Indian/western supported govt in Sri Lanka not receive any attention?

The ISI could care less about Sri Lanka, there whole thing is Kashmir and they see India as the existential threat. There obsession is pretty much to one up India and liberate Kashmir. I don't see why they would get involved in Sri Lanka as it would not benefit them.

Also, India has actually supported both sides in the conflict and some Southern Indian statas are still supporting the Tamils in general due to ethnic solidarity.

A fight to the death in Westminster

London student says he is starving himself to death outside the Houses of Parliament in protest at Sri Lankan attacks on Tamils

By Jerome Taylor

Friday, 10 April 2009

At the age of 21, Sivatharsan Sivakumaravel is preparing to die. Lying under layers of damp duvets and surrounded by passionate and at times tearful supporters, Mr Sivakumaravel is one of two young Tamil men who have vowed to starve themselves to death outside the Houses of Parliament unless Britain forces the Sri Lankan government to call an immediate ceasefire in its war with Tamil Tiger rebels.

Click here for full article

While I certainly can sympathize with the Tamil's cause, I think starving themselves to death is not the best idea. They could surely do more for there cause alive.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,518 ✭✭✭✭dsmythy

While I certainly can sympathize with the Tamil's cause, I think starving themselves to death is not the best idea. They could surely do more for there cause alive.

Obviously he won't be allowed to die. It's a ridiculous protest anyway especially being in London. If he wants to help maybe he could go to Sri Lanka instead.

dsmythy wrote: »
    Obviously he won't be allowed to die. It's a ridiculous protest anyway especially being in London. If he wants to help maybe he could go to Sri Lanka instead.

I doubt he would get very far in Sri Lanka.

As for the protests, well at the very least they are making more people aware of whats going on there.

The ISI could care less about Sri Lanka, there whole thing is Kashmir and they see India as the existential threat. There obsession is pretty much to one up India and liberate Kashmir. I don't see why they would get involved in Sri Lanka as it would not benefit them
    I don't think you read what I wrote. Pakistan only concentrates on its cold-conflict with India on one front??? Yeah right.

Like blowing up civilian centres and targets?

I don't think you read what I wrote. Pakistan only concentrates on its cold-conflict with India on one front??? Yeah right.

How exactly is Sri Lanka a front for the conflict? It makes no sense for them to be involved there. It would be a waste or resources. There more concerned with Indian influence in Afghanistan, as they share a huge border with them. They don't share any kind of border with Sri Lanka and I see no reason why getting involved would benefit them.

• Advertisement

Like blowing up civilian centres and targets?

Well, I was thinking peaceful protest and getting information out about the conflict.

However, your question is rather bizarre in that you seem to think violence is a effective way to get a message out there. I personally think its a bad idea.

Advertisement