Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What do younger voters want???

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭ChristIsMurph

Stephen wrote: »
    I think those appeared because of assholes dumping bags full of household waste into the old style bins with the open tops, rather than paying for their own houshold waste collection. There's always some dickhead out there to ruin things for everyone else.

That is the reason as to why they appeared. But we could have just as easily purchased mediaeval style ones. Its horrible when you are say for example outside the chipper and cant fit your bag into the bin when your finished! Or even something like a small pizza box.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,635 ✭✭✭KatCookie

But we could have just as easily purchased mediaeval style ones. .
    This is how I can tell that you are not a seasoned politican! you are leaving yourself open to attack and questioning from all sides,for example
    -"we" who is we? Who made the decision to have these bins? the voters of Kilkenny?
    -Why didnt you purchase aesthetically pleasing bins and allocate them to low population touristy places?? They are only bins but they are still important!
    By saying "we" you make it sounds like you had a say in the decision, do you stand by this decision?

On a different note, I would support a railway from Kilkenny Via Thurkles to Limerick, other countries dont have this problem, why do we?

• Registered Users Posts: 784 ✭✭✭zootroid

KatCookie wrote: »

On a different note, I would support a railway from Kilkenny Via Thurkles to Limerick, other countries dont have this problem, why do we?

Look at the problems with the western rail corridor, a much more important piece of infrastructure between 2 large cities, Limerick and Galway. If that is having trouble getting off the ground, I don't think there would be much of a will for Kilkenny and Thurles. And I still have reservations about the viability of the project. Aside from students going back and forth to college every week, and tourists using it, I really can't see any market for it.

Also, the cost of rail in the country is ridiculously high by international standards. I remember being in the south of Portugal about 5 years ago, and getting a train journey that lasted about 90 minutes. It cost me 4 euro. Why is the cost of going to Dublin so high? I have heard stories that train drivers are paid 70k a year, hardly surprising in a state-run highly unionised monopoly. My point is the cost of using rail is so high, that even if I thought there was a market for a train line between Kilkenny and Cork/Limerick, the cost would be too high as to deter people.

KatCookie wrote: »
    This is how I can tell that you are not a seasoned politican! you are leaving yourself open to attack and questioning from all sides,for example
    -"we" who is we? Who made the decision to have these bins? the voters of Kilkenny?
    -Why didnt you purchase aesthetically pleasing bins and allocate them to low population touristy places?? They are only bins but they are still important!
    By saying "we" you make it sounds like you had a say in the decision, do you stand by this decision?

Actually no, I refer to we as the people of Kilkenny. The Borough Council also stands for the people of Kilkenny. See this is my mentality in politics. I'm not here to serve my own interests. I'm here to serve the interests of the people. It's democracy. The people elected are elected by the people of Kilkenny. Therefore refering to it all as "we" is not exactly a wrong phrase to use as the decision was made by the governing body of Kilkenny and I am from Kilkenny. It was also paid for by the taxpayer, which again, I am one.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,313 ✭✭✭fabbydabby

People would use a rail network if it was cheap and decent. But it isn't. I can get in my car and travel to any major city in smooth quiet comfort at my own pace with decent tunes and no scumbags drinking flagons/ kids climbing all over me... and pay for petrol (and my car's not exactly efficient) and parking for the day and return to KK CHEAPER than if I got the train.
    I thought mass transport was supposed to be low cost! How the hell can taking a sports car with sh1tty gas milage on your own be cheaper than mass transportation??! The irish pay one of the highest rail ticket prices in Europe for the 5h1ttest service. I recently traveled from Brno to Bratislava in Central Europe, a four hour train journey, for a fiver.

Ever see a rail netwok map from 1800's Ireland? Compared to today, practically every corner and town was serviced! Nnow you have to get the train to Kildare if you want to go to Galway or Cork... Madness.

I'll jump on a train as soon as it becomes economically viable, but until then, I'll stick with the car, thanks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,635 ✭✭✭KatCookie

Fred83 wrote: »
    if i had the power i prob close up the vec school,its a blackhole like the HSE,so much stuff is getting broken and replaced,waste of money,kick out the troublemakers or send the people that want to learn to different schools,the place is just a waste of taxpayers money.
    I've got a funny comment about a teacher I once met from there, but i probably shouldnt say stuff like that here!!
    That 15/16 year old who died out on/near the Callan Road a couple of days ago went to the school if i'm not mistaken (not passing comment, just was told that today)

fabbydabby, i was just saying the exact same thing to someone today! How hard it is for anyone to get to Limerick or that area from Kilkenny or Thurles, Rail would me much more efficient if there were more services and if they travelled quicker (which they can)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 fairy50

well darren you got the ball rolling and a real debate started. Delighted because now I can actually see what younger people are passionate about.

Think your website is great! gas about the mcg pose. Has anyone here heard of this lad? http://www.davidfitzgerald.ie he called to my door a few weeks ago and was dead on. Really interested in what I would like to see changed in the city hence my post.

Really seems the old faithful local politicians are taking a back seat in this election and the new young guns are going to get a break!
    can i just ask with the new polish girl running in the election how are you going to reach out to the polish community? its like she has won them over by default??

fairy50 wrote: »
    well darren you got the ball rolling and a real debate started. Delighted because now I can actually see what younger people are passionate about.

Think your website is great! gas about the mcg pose. Has anyone here heard of this lad? http://www.davidfitzgerald.ie he called to my door a few weeks ago and was dead on. Really interested in what I would like to see changed in the city hence my post.

Really seems the old faithful local politicians are taking a back seat in this election and the new young guns are going to get a break!
    can i just ask with the new polish girl running in the election how are you going to reach out to the polish community? its like she has won them over by default??

I know a lot of the non-nationals in Kilkenny having worked with them in different places. This girl will not sweep the board with them. Like you have to take into consideration how many of them will actually vote, then how many will actually vote for her. Some people may not like her, just as how some people may not like me. I'm young, does not mean every young person will vote for me.

And actually someone said to me the statistics of non nationals in kilkenny a while ago. I think it's 10% of the population are non-nationals, 40% of that are Polish. Considering the population is set to be about say 27,000, 4% of that being 1080 people. That's if every Polish person registers, which they probably won't. I'm not saying they are not interested, it's just not even every Irish person registers! It's usually about 55% so thats about 600 people. But she has to get all of those 600 people to vote for her. Like with how FF are going she has a very uphill battle.

And thank you very much for the kind words about my site! David is my running mate for the election!

Advertisement