Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Taking Photography too seriously.....

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 493 ✭✭bradnailer

dunno. but the tracker knackers are definitely closer to home :-)

tracker knackers:D haven't heard that before

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,589 Mod ✭✭✭✭humberklog

Sometimes it's brilliant to leave the camera at home. Today took me to Banbridge and Rosstrevor. A mass with oragemen then Kofte wraps and cornettos on the beach looking over to Carlingford. I took the coast road back to Dublin and on route met over 100,000 starlings casting clouds against a beautiful sunset on the Meath coast. When asked if I regetted not having the camera with me the answer was a resounding No. Occassionally the brain needs to soak in the surrounds thart it hopes one day to catch again. I'm taking a trip out again soon to catch those birds...maybe tomorrow. But I was glad to hear their wings and song today, I would have missed that if I'd been fiddling with the Brownie or A1.
    But they're not opportunities missed, it's a gathering of intent for the next time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,046 ✭✭✭democrates

Good perspective humberklog, being too wrapped up in recording life is similar to a phase I went through of spending more time thinking about life than living it.

Then I look at theBaz and such and how they seem to have integrated photography in their lives, for me I'm still taking a step back in using the camera, stepping out of the moment to capture it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,764 ✭✭✭Valentia

Agree humberclog! Well said.

Where did you see the starlings? Might take a trip myself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,067 ✭✭✭AnimalRights

I disagree Humber!
    For the 1st time tonight I didn't bring my cam going to work as a had a blinding hangover and as I was only in for 2 hours I thought I'd be ok.....I missed a red sky as the sun was setting! :mad:
    I've never taken a pic of that yet....

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,589 Mod ✭✭✭✭humberklog

Valentia wrote: »
    Agree humberclog! Well said.

Where did you see the starlings? Might take a trip myself.

Outside Bettystown. Amaziing display. They move on so they'll be away shortly. Some amazing positions to be had, they nestle in their hudreds on cranes and lift in clouds. I'm probably gonna go tomorrow or Tue. so say hi if you're there.

Animal I do know what you mean but there is a flip-side and that is that there is as much (if not more) to be learned by observing what could make a good picture without having the camera. A bit like thinking about smashing the atom but without a big doughnut in Switzerland. You can be photo mad without the camera. Well that's what I think.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,135 ✭✭✭✭John

I find it strange that so many people are offended at the thoughts of photographing a corpse. Especially considering it used to be so fashionable to dress a body up and photograph them before interring them. Then there's death masks like that of James Joyce. I don't think it's morbid at all to want to a physical artifact of someone at peace.

I have such a photo from someone living abroad and it is one of the most powerful and moving photographs I have seen. Yes it is a sad photo but that only reinforces the good memories.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,344 ✭✭✭Thoie

I'd have no problem with photographs at the "afters" of a funeral, but if I was in the immediate family I'd find it a bit weird and intrusive if people were taking pictures during the ceremonial bits.

As for taking pictures of the corpse - the main reason I wouldn't is that from my experience of open coffins, the person doesn't look like themselves at all, and that's not how I want to remember them.

In one case the mother of a close friend who had died more or less shoved me into the sitting room alone to give him a last kiss goodbye. Between the way he had died, and the clothes he was wearing it just wasn't him at all, and honestly I'd have preferred to keep him in my mind the way he'd always been - I certainly wouldn't have wanted a photograph like that.

Advertisement