Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

assassinate hitler?

Options
  • 20-02-2009 5:10pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 417 ✭✭

Not sure if its been discussed before, but...

How plausable would it have been to sneak some elite allied special forces sniper teams within a thousand yards of Hitlers locations in a bid to snipe him if he came out from a house or bunker?

Was it possible/valid
    Was it tried?
    Did they have the capability - was sniping that popular at long ranges (1000m+?) as it is today?

Just a thought after watching saving private ryan and the snipers suggestion of getting him within a mile of hitler with him and his rifle...

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 397 ✭✭motherfunker

There was a documentary on a few times over the past couple of years, looking at this I presume it was Operation Foxley, but I thought it actually had gone ahead but did not succeed but this seems to have been cancelled, maybe it was about a plot to kill someone else and Hitler appeared as a target but this was not sanctioned, this could be from the Dirty Dozen though, things are a bit hazy.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0360715/#comment

http://www.offthefence.com/content/programme.php?ID=518&Categories=2

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Operation_Foxley

• Registered Users Posts: 4,072 ✭✭✭marcsignal

On youtube in 6 parts, enjoy ;)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭blinding

Hitler was such a bad military leader that it would probably have been a mistake to assasinate him for fear of getting a competent military leader in his place.

Better the devil you know than opening the door for a better(worse?) leader!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

But it would have been Goering who would have taken over? Sure he was no military genius either.

I'm aware Doneitz took over at the end but however competent he was it was too late for him to do anything.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 593 ✭✭✭Zuiderzee

I believe the alternative plan to kill hitler could be referered to as
    Operation WWII

• Advertisement

I believe the alternative plan to kill hitler could be referered to as
    Operation WWII:p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,539 ✭✭✭jimmmy

blinding wrote: »
    Hitler was such a bad military leader that it would probably have been a mistake to assasinate him for fear of getting a competent military leader in his place.

Better the devil you know than opening the door for a better(worse?) leader!!

True. The lessons the Allied powers learned was that by the forties it was too late. Had Hitler been killed in '36 or '37 then maybe it may have prevented WW2 ? Its also why the Allies got rid of Hussein after his track record.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,034 ✭✭✭deadhead13

mikemac wrote: »
    But it would have been Goering who would have taken over? Sure he was no military genius either.

Goering was a dope fiend and living in his own little world by then so how effective he would have been who knows. But I suspect the war would have ended sooner.

jimmmy wrote: »
    True. The lessons the Allied powers learned was that by the forties it was too late. Had Hitler been killed in '36 or '37 then maybe it may have prevented WW2 ? Its also why the Allies got rid of Hussein after his track record.

Nah, the Allies left Saddam Hussein in power because it suited them.
    We knew about the gassing of the Kurds and the persecution of Shia in the South, but that did not even raise an eyebrow provided he was a conterweight to Iran.
    Israel was condemned for hitting Osriaq, the west never complained about it - it was a French reactor.

When Saddam went into Kuwait, that increased his oil control percentage and threatend Saudi - so then they took action

Why they went in to remove him after years of sanctions was based on the WMD arguement - why they actually went in, I really dont know - but it was part of a neo conservative agenda.

Besides on Feb 22 this year Iraqs electricity Minister Karim Wahid invited France to help Iraq build a nuclear power plant - despite their massive reserves of oil and solar potential, not to mention the Hydro potential of the Tigres and Euphrates.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,539 ✭✭✭jimmmy

Zuiderzee wrote: »
    Nah, the Allies left Saddam Hussein in power because it suited them.
    They ( the US, UK, and lots of other countries ) actually fought his army and invaded his country in the end. They made the mistake of stopping at his border at the end of Gulf War One. Where is Saddam now....see what happened to him.

• Advertisement
Advertisement