Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Irish Dragons Den

• 20-02-2009 5:28pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 384 ✭✭

What's your opinion????? Oliver

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 185 ✭✭TechieEddy

I thought it was allright by Irish Standards. Thought the guys from pedigreecattle had a really good idea. Certainly a good gap in the market for that type of business.
    The only problem would be the internet usage of the farmers.
    My dad is a farmer and he wouldnt know the first thing about using the internet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,478 ✭✭✭GoneShootin

I think the hardest thing to do with websites like that is to keep it unique, as when it comes to listings websites they are easy enough to copy. They were definately the most confident of those that presented their ideas.

I enjoyed the show.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,267 ✭✭✭DubTony

Definitely a better presentation than the hatchet job that was done with Millionaire. Although the producers obviously felt the need to dumb it down a bit as the presenter seemed to overexplain some things. Could be first episode introductions, but do we really need that?

The Dragons don't do much for me. They aren't as slick as their British counterparts, although given a few episodes that might change. I could confidently predict the answers the entrepreneurs would get as soon as most of them opened their mouths. I was surprised that Niall OFarrell was so keen to go with "CowTrader". Didn't seem much like his thing, although with property the way it is ...

It'll be interesting to see if the Dragons become more aggressive in how they tell applicants that they're wasting their time. For entertainment value you can't beat Theo Whatsisname and the blonde woman on the BBC show letting rip. I'd really like to see Gavin Duffy lay into one or two of them ... for the craic. :D I'm so bad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,282 ✭✭✭Bandara

Haven't seen the Irish one but the UK one is crap, its all tabloid television, so few of the ideas ever get taken up after the show despite "agreements" being made during it. The amount of the old contestants who said they were never even contacted by the dragons after the show and it took them weeks and months to finally get told they would not be proceding.

Its all for show imo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,212 ✭✭✭MrPillowTalk

I thought the aquarium idea was interesting enough and was surprised the panel was so negative. I thought the fact that he was allready in office equipment meaning he would have a market base and supply line to go to straight away would certainly mean you could make a decent enough business out of it. They were spot on about his timing though he couldnt have got it worse.

I would have given the cattle lads the 50k myself, I think that is a cracking idea the key to which is probably getting the farmers journal on board in some sort of licencing/revenue sharing agreement. I cant see how 50k is going to be enough to launch it properly though I would have thought you would need a marketing budget of 150k alone in year 1.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,212 ✭✭✭MrPillowTalk

The clean money thing was hillarious, this country is shagged if that idea was good enough to make the show.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,478 ✭✭✭GoneShootin

this country is shagged if that idea was good enough to make the show.

dont forget that there has to be an element of entertainment too - its a tv show after all

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,281 ✭✭✭PullMyFinger!

Hammertime wrote: »
    Haven't seen the Irish one but the UK one is crap, its all tabloid television, so few of the ideas ever get taken up after the show despite "agreements" being made during it. The amount of the old contestants who said they were never even contacted by the dragons after the show and it took them weeks and months to finally get told they would not be proceding.

Its all for show imo.

No not true.

There is something called "Due Diligence" which is carried out after a deal like this has been struck. Having read your previous posts Im sure you're aware of what this is Hammertime, but for the rest; its a "Tick List" that both parties must go through before signing anything final.

70 to 75% of the UK Dragons' Den deals go through fully complete. This is from Duncan Bannatyne himself. Although its not gospel and its probably closer to 60% this is still nowhere near 'so few of the ideas ever get taken up after the show" :)

The Irish version was a good first episode but the scheduling of it it is completely wrong. This is a 9pm show not a 10.15pm one. Why oh why must RTE always make a balls of their scheduling? (See: "24" for more)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 384 ✭✭YellowSheep

Ah well. If producers just would go and have a look at this board. One could have written 10 episodes already. Cheers Oliver

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,841 ✭✭✭✭cormie

UK Dragons are definitely more slick alright and I'd probably be more confident with them. They look healthier too!

• Advertisement

Ah well. If producers just would go and have a look at this board. One could have written 10 episodes already. Cheers Oliver

AFAIK the're all made already.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,459 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

I think the hardest thing to do with websites like that is to keep it unique, as when it comes to listings websites they are easy enough to copy

pedegrecattle are fairly specalised, I think who ever registered www.cattlezone.ie/ could have a good idea....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,793 ✭✭✭chillywilly

anyone know if there is somewhere on the web i can watch it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,459 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

• Subscribers Posts: 9,716 ✭✭✭CuLT

pedegrecattle are fairly specalised, I think who ever registered www.cattlezone.ie/ could have a good idea....
    CowZone.ie and MooSpace were some funny ones I saw on the twitter feed for the DD...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 49 Party Central

www.rte.ie have it in the streamed media part.

*direct link http://www.rte.ie/tv/dragonsden/video.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭niceirishfella

It was'nt as bad as I thought i might ber, but Richard Curran needs to sort out how he say Entrepeneur!
    The Sarah Newman lady, is that DJ Careys partner?
    The pedigreecattle.ie idea is a goer.........lots of young cattle breeders/famers out there that are interent savvy and will use this - the older famers are dinosors and retiring/dying off, so its a growing and burgeoning idea. The bolt ons to it could be good too like selling cattle handling supplies,machinery,4x4's,trailers,home office IT etc, etc, infact everything needed for the business savvy farmer or breeder - its scaleable if it gets established.
    The booze berry pitch was ok, but then, she melted. If i were a dragon, i could'nt invest in her.
    and the clean cash cash register guys, what a laff!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 123 ✭✭NiallMH

OMG when did it start????

Last Thursday night @ 10.15pm, RTE 1

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 186 ✭✭gags89

whopper vid on bertie,

i agree the UK one is better but again they have 50mil + pop so were hardly going to have the celeb business heads as they did.....that presenter needs to learn how to say entrepeneur too.

good show and it encourages business innovation and creation in a tough time does no evil!

terrible air-time 10.15???why? after the news or something would be better.

filmed where i train for the footy too in tree-rock!

il watch every episode!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,541 ✭✭✭Heisenberg.

This post has been deleted.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 586 ✭✭✭conolan

DD is rather unreal. In the real world you're expected to have your figures with you, have any supporting material you want. It's mainly entertainment.
    Also, given that there are lots of stickies on the boards, could it be un-stickied? On a typical corporate lan machine the stickies take up most of the screen.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 575 ✭✭✭Dabko

Watched DD for first time last, christ, it was painful.

I dont know, maybe its just me, but i just couldnt put the likes of the 'Dragons' in any sort of high regard. They just epitomise the fat cats of ireland.
    Not taking away from their selfmade successs or anything (fair play, im a strong beliver in capitalism ;)) but i think the producers of this show would have done better by finding younger, less tweed wearing entrepreneurs. I mean, these guys portrait themselfs almost like English aristocracy with smoking jackets, hunting and rolls royces!

What the show needs is young, no fancy sh1te, business people. Just my 2 cents.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 468 ✭✭foxhunter

What the show needs is young, no fancy sh1te, business people. Just my 2 cents.[/QUOTE]

Someone like Michael Oleary maybe now that would be entertaining!!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

Watched it last night and fair play to them for investing in the hen party idea, I thought her turn over figures were very optimistic (Due Diligence may prove me right ;) ).

I met one of the producers and they had a real struggle finding 'Dragons' who had their own money, had the time to work on this project and were happy to court the publicity. I think it's a good start and as with the UK version, they could be swapped for others once the format establishes itself here.

Have to say, I'm very disappointed that RTE haven't given it more of a push and that the time slot is pretty rubbish, either 8 or 9 o'clock airing time would have been a lot better.

But I'll tune in and watch to see how it pans out over the series.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 575 ✭✭✭Dabko

foxhunter wrote: »
    Someone like Michael Oleary maybe now that would be entertaining!!

I would give up one of my testicles to watch that!:D

What I notice is the quality of the innovations is not up there with the Uk version.
    Nothing has stood out as of yet, for me anyways.

gags89 wrote: »
    whopper vid on bertie,

i agree the UK one is better but again they have 50mil + pop so were hardly going to have the celeb business heads as they did.....that presenter needs to learn how to say entrepeneur too.

good show and it encourages business innovation and creation in a tough time does no evil!

terrible air-time 10.15???why? after the news or something would be better.

filmed where i train for the footy too in tree-rock!

il watch every episode!

you sure? Its filmed in Taylors three rock pub as far as I know.......are you thinking of three rock hockey pitches? I play footy there too!

Totally agree about the way he pronounces entrepreneur, its really annoying. Its like he is saying "en-trop-on-oor"!

Also they have to lay off the cheesey puns like "on your bike" and "you need stabilisers". Fair play to the guy who pointed it out!

• Advertisement

Last night was really painful to watch. Thanks god I had it taped and could fast forward. Surely enough, somebody needs a business lecture here. If you would go to anybody, even a friend of yours, and ask him/her for 10k he/she will certainly know for what/when/how etc. And here you have 5 "Investors" who are who are trying to entertain us and themselves by investing into "Pre-screened" individuals. Unbelievable. What a joke!!
    10k for a light in a hand bag with blue prints for airport security. Happy days....Cheers Oliver

My connection is too slow to watch it streaming on the website, any suggestions? :(

yeah cormie. I just watched it. Don't bother. Somebody owes me 50 minutes.

Handbags with lights. ffs :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 512 ✭✭✭wilson10

Everyone has their own opinion.

I think it's the best entertainment on the box at the moment.

I nearly passed out laughing when the guy with the handbag said he needed the money to employ a quantity surveyor.

Having said that I think they all have great balls to put themselves out there for us all to judge them.

I think it's the best show too, I love it :D

If anyone knows how I can watch it with a choppy connection, please let me know!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 456 ✭✭sm.org

DubTony wrote: »
    yeah cormie. I just watched it. Don't bother. Somebody owes me 50 minutes.

Handbags with lights. ffs :rolleyes:

I think the lights in your hand bag guy is a bit of a legend.

He was bare knuckle boxing on "Lawless Ireland" on TV3 on monday night and a successful entrepreneur on the Den on thursday night!!

He sure gets around.

• Advertisement

wilson10 wrote: »
    Everyone has their own opinion.

I think it's the best entertainment on the box at the moment.

I nearly passed out laughing when the guy with the handbag said he needed the money to employ a quantity surveyor.

Having said that I think they all have great balls to put themselves out there for us all to judge them.

haha ye the quantity surveyor was a classic, it was a real cringe worthy moment like "oh no, he didnt just say that:o":D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 225 ✭✭fmcc

All duck or no dinner was a classic line which will be kept and used in my conversations for ever more. To be fair we only ever see the editied versions and I presume a lot more questions are asked and answered before an investment is put forward.

I know its not as polished as the uk version (which aint a bad thing) and was glad to see that at least one of the dragons was putting forward the idea of not tearing the candidates apart and to stop using the obvious cliches of on your bike etc that the dragons seem they cant just say its not for me instead of a "witty" punchline and I,m out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,834 ✭✭✭Sonnenblumen

Just watched it for first time, God, the QS and the Handbag was unforgettable!! Whatever you might feel about the ideas, the lack of research and paltry investment investment/funding needs might make for great entertainment but is the best of what material was available.

I mean a Secondary school child would be able to tell you that it is illegal to produce Pizza in a garage, and if there is any uncertainty surely the onus is on the producers to put a call in to the relevant authorities and check before broadcasting potential misleading information etc. I think this series does a disservice to Irish enterprise and I will not be too surprised if scenes from this programme come back as 'Paddy Whackery'. The producers have failed us disgracefully and I think 'The Panto Den' would be a more accurate description for this series.

The producers have a responsibility not just to entertain but not to provide good material to Third Parties that may be used against genuine hard working Irish Entrepeneurs.

Just watched it for first time, God, the QS and the Handbag was unforgettable!! Whatever you might feel about the ideas, the lack of research and paltry investment investment/funding needs might make for great entertainment but is the best of what material was available.

I mean a Secondary school child would be able to tell you that it is illegal to produce Pizza in a garage, and if there is any uncertainty surely the onus is on the producers to put a call in to the relevant authorities and check before broadcasting potential misleading information etc. I think this series does a disservice to Irish enterprise and I will not be too surprised if scenes from this programme come back as 'Paddy Whackery'. The producers have failed us disgracefully and I think 'The Panto Den' would be a more accurate description for this series.

The producers have a responsibility not just to entertain but not to provide good material to Third Parties that may be used against genuine hard working Irish Entrepeneurs.

I couldn't describe it better. Thanks Oliver

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,666 ✭✭✭charlie_says

The Irish Dragons are so rude, ask stupid questions and generally seem to be doing it for the craic of being on TV. It all just seems a silly joke in comparison to the UK Den.

The fat guy in particular really pisses me off. Just gets under my skin.:mad:

• Advertisement

The calibre of the business Ideas thus far is poor.
    Awful infact.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 303 ✭✭R3al

Getting back to the thread topic, the Irish Dragons Den for me is not as good as the UK version. The Irish dragons often seem to be mostly interested in taking the mickey out of the applicants with fairly paltry trivial investments being made when ideas are taken up, one idea was split between 2 dragons at €10000 each.

Some of the ideas do not appear to be very original either i.e. an automatic roller blind and a dustbin with separate recycling compartments

The UK DD is one of my favourite programs but the Irish version is just cringing a lot of the time.

R3al wrote: »
    Getting back to the thread topic, the Irish Dragons Den for me is not as good as the UK version. The Irish dragons often seem to be mostly interested in taking the mickey out of the applicants with fairly paltry trivial investments being made when ideas are taken up, one idea was split between 2 dragons at €10000 each.

Some of the ideas do not appear to be very original either i.e. an automatic roller blind and a dustbin with separate recycling compartments

The UK DD is one of my favourite programs but the Irish version is just cringing a lot of the time.

+1

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21 AlexK

It’s tough for the Irish DD as we will always compare it to the IMO excellent UK DD!!

The problem I have with the Irish Dragons is that they are trying too hard to be "dragons".... They have seen how charismatic some of the UK dragons are and also how that has lifted them to celebrity status and they are as a result trying too hard to distinguish themselves from the pack!

Would I go on it - Yes I think I would for the exposure alone (you can always decline the investment right! :))

• Closed Accounts Posts: 123 ✭✭NiallMH

Just remember how poor IMO UK DD was in its 1st 2 seasons . . !
    Theo and Deborah really added so much to that show so if in two seasons we can ditch Niall and Sarah we'll be sorted!

What are there at? Mumble, mumble, mumble....I am out. With the way they are investing the follow-up show "what are they do now?" will be a very short episode. And especially your woman Sarah. :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 775 ✭✭✭Woodgate

especially your woman Sarah. :eek:
    Have thought her to be very negative and actually ignorant in the way she was laughing at people who were just having a go and doing their best, particularly in the show prior to last nights one. I know most of the people on have had crap ideas but she was very rude laughing through peoples presentations and laughing even when they were in discussion with another Dragon. So far it's not a patch on hte UK one but I'll give it time hopefully it will come good.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,051 ✭✭✭mayhem#

You should follow the comments on Twitter. It's even better than the programme....

• Advertisement
Advertisement