Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Irish Dragons Den

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 641 ✭✭✭lanod2407

Jake1 wrote: »
    I have coming up, what is to me anyway, a very important meeting, next week, and as Ive watched the show, Ive used it for tips on maybe what to do, what not to do, so, for me, just starting off, Its great.
    I havent been to business school, I didnt even finish regular school, so at the very least its given myself the opportunity to see how people in business operate.

Jake1

Remember - Dragon's Den is a programme made for entertainment purposes ............... so be careful what you use as a "tip" for your own real-life business pitch .......... it might make good TV, but may not be what the board-room is looking for!

lanod2407 wrote: »
    Jake1

Remember - Dragon's Den is a programme made for entertainment purposes ............... so be careful what you use as a "tip" for your own real-life business pitch .......... it might make good TV, but may not be what the board-room is looking for!

Point well taken, and appreciated :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 143 ✭✭leon76

what a dick

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,677 ✭✭✭staker

that's desperate tack.
    please don't let my resolve break down next week,this is the third week i've vowed not to watch it:o:o:o
    pure and utter tripe!!:mad::mad:

sorry, thought i was posting on the tv forum in my rage....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 768 ✭✭✭EIREHotspur

How exactly does the dragons taking "equity" in any business.

Do they get 20% (or whatever %) of the profits each year and are they entitled to 20% payback at whatever the business is worth at whatever point they wish to extract themselves from said business??

How does that go?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭niceirishfella

20% shares i would have thought..

• Registered Users Posts: 438 ✭✭nellie07

whats the deal with that mouthy Sarah one wearing the same clothes, surely to God the whole 8 series were not filmed in one day???

What a cheeky madam she is so bloody rude, she is a poor mans Deborah Meaden on the UK version.

Gavin Duffy is the only one with his head screwed on. Niall hasnt a clue and thinks everything revolves around black tie. Poor Bobby I love him but want to hug him not take his money, himself and his yella tie!! And Sean he's ok but only because he drives a range rover! someone I one day dream of when I win the lotto

nellie07 wrote: »
    And Sean he's ok but only because he drives a range rover! someone I one day dream of when I win the lotto

RR's are sh1te .....terrible reliability.
    Seans Co Smarthome's is near bust these days, it could be going back to the finance co the way things are.:rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,176 ✭✭✭✭josip

Every time Sarah Newman opens her mouth I think, "Poor DJ"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 218 ✭✭D.W

josip wrote: »
    Every time Sarah Newman opens her mouth I think, "Poor DJ"
    I laughted when I read that Josip but have to say I wouldn't fancy looking for a bit of lovin from her on a cold night in Kilkenny after a hard nights training. I'd say she'd be the one wielding the hurl!:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 703 ✭✭✭lecheile

How exactly does the dragons taking "equity" in any business.

Do they get 20% (or whatever %) of the profits each year and are they entitled to 20% payback at whatever the business is worth at whatever point they wish to extract themselves from said business??

How does that go?

Oh you can be sure that their investment is made under very strict conditions and applies to % of the company. They will also conduct some due dilligence on each of the firms before they part with any cash to verify all the claims made during the pitch - which is all very sensible if you are investing in something. I'd love to know how many of the people actually get the money!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,857 ✭✭✭professore

fergalfrog wrote: »
    Does anyone know how things work after a deal is made on dragons den?

If a deal is made and I work full time on the idea can I give myself a salary from the company (presuming it is making money)?

Or do I need to wait til the company is profitable and I get a percentage of the profits. When someone sells a percentage of their company I assume they are effectively selling a percentage of the profits and assets.

No, you sit there and do very little except recommend the product/ service to your golfing buddies. Then you wait until the company is a big success and some big multinational buys it for € 10 million. You then collect your 20% or whatever. For the other 9 investments they go bust and you lose your 50K. So the one good company nets you € 2 million and the nine bad ones lose you 450 K. Thats how it works. Do you really think if they make 10 investments they can dedicate 7 days a week to each one?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,276 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

nellie07 wrote: »
    whats the deal with that mouthy Sarah one wearing the same clothes, surely to God the whole 8 series were not filmed in one day???

What a cheeky madam she is so bloody rude, she is a poor mans Deborah Meaden on the UK version.

Gavin Duffy is the only one with his head screwed on. Niall hasnt a clue and thinks everything revolves around black tie. Poor Bobby I love him but want to hug him not take his money, himself and his yella tie!! And Sean he's ok but only because he drives a range rover! someone I one day dream of when I win the lotto

the whole thing is filmed in one day, they are all in the same clothes

and dont need to win the lotto to buy a rr sport, the values are falling like stones ;)

wouldnt you think at least they could have had one bloody change of clothes, how can it all be done in one day, and they were bigging it up like there were thousands looking for money when obviously thats a lie,

and yeah you're right at the way things are going i'll be able to afford a range rover sport!! then all the big knobs who spent a fortune on them will be raging!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,003 ✭✭✭bijapos

The show was filimed over several days. They have the same clothes so the producers can chop and change the show as they wish. For example on any given day there might be 5 good ideas that they will invest in. On the next 3 days 25 useless ideas. To make the show look good they chop and change so that in every screened programme they have a few 'failures' and one 'success'. makes for 'good TV'.

You might sometimes see clips of various people walking up the stairs with their ideas but it never gets screened, these are more 'failures'.

I generally think the UK and Irish programmes mirror the countries very well, for better or worse.

BTW, it seems that Sarah Newman is the only properly self made person on the show. Revenge is surely sweet for hurling fans around the country who suffered on the wrong side of DJ in his prime!

Sarah Newman - when she opens her mouth I wanna just smack her!!
    When she said that she hates games like that really cool "Animatrix" or whatever it was called last week because of all the time / work involved - I just gave up - I bet she tells the kids to shut up and watch tv!!!!

As for Sean "This is a great product, but its not in my area, I'm out" whatshisname .............. a mate of mine was recorded on the show before Christmas and is due on this week - she said he's the best of them to deal with when they were recording ....... but he wrecks my head.

Overall, it's about as good as we can expect it to be - I'm inclined to agree with "bijapos" ............. "I generally think the UK and Irish programmes mirror the countries very well, for better or worse" .......... this is us - whether we like what we see or not.

When we look at our corrupt politicians, crooked bankers, and business-men who won't pay their bills until they are highlighted in the papers (sorry, Niall - but that it you!!), we cannot stand back and treat them like groups of aliens who have just happened to land here ......... they is a slice of Ireland - and represent the people that we are. We need to accept this if we are to move forward as a people.
    Remember the stages we need to go through - Denial, Anger, Acceptance, before we can deal with the problems we have as a country ........ many of us are stuck in the Denial rut!!!

So, let's not scorn the Irish version of Dragons too quickly ............. let's take a look into our souls and see if there's just a little slice of Ireland wrapped up in there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,339 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

lanod2407 wrote: »
    when she opens her mouth I wanna just smack her!!

I want to slash the tyres on their golf buggy...:rolleyes:..!!!

nicky-golf-6.jpg
    Tipp FTW!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 85 ✭✭Good Karma

She's actually quite pretty there! It's when she is viscious that she becomes ugly. I know having an honest opinion from the Dragons is good, but to say that the thoughts of spending quality time with her kids would drive her mad! :D I hope her kids feel the same way!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,630 ✭✭✭Oracle

I like Sarah's direct and honest style. Although as far as I know, she hasn't invested a cent to date. I can't say I blame her though.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11 damien1211

It's unreal to think that were pinning any of our future hopes on these guys, other that Gavin Duffy I don't think any of them have any sort of investment funds.

The panel needs young Irish Entrenepeurs that are willing to take a risk, when I see some of the ideas that deserved a 50/50 chance getting booted while a light for a handbag gets 20,000K just for the crack "make me very worried.:confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,013 ✭✭✭leitrim lad

agreed
    tonight is ment to be the last in the series, i wonder why

and will the essex one make an investment tonight, pointless haven her there waisting a seat

Agreed. She has been a waste of time alright.
    The show overall has been 2/10 for me right thoughout the series.

There's a friend of mine on tonight - apparently it's a really short clip - watch for the dog!!!!;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 42 crystal castle

Its probably been said to the death already, but they have to replace that newman one, she is useless and i'd say i must have more in my bank account than her at this stage. Fair enough she probabky took a scalding out of all this but she dismantles peoples hopes and dreams to cover her own arse and the fact that the she's royally screwed. The whole country, no more than the government can see right through her.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,276 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

i'd say i must have more in my bank account than her at this stage.

id say she is the richest one there

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭dh0661

Cyrus wrote: »
    id say she is the richest one there

You mean she is the only one that has tits ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 417 ✭✭Berti Vogts

He was a bit rude but that was a ridiculous overreaction!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 258 ✭✭southofnowhere

He was a bit rude but that was a ridiculous overreaction!

Agreed. Completely OTT.

Then pretending she really liked the product and would have invested only for him took the biscuit altogether.

If he was the most charming man in the world, it would have been the product she didn't like.

shes a typical english, all talk and no mon,

bring in jp mc manus, sean quinn, jim mansfield, that desmond fellow , and ben dunne

that would be a good set of dragons, who have real money

rather than the wafflers that are there now,

i also think gavin duffy is too big headed and cheeky

ooooooooooooooooooooooooooohhh,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

she made an offer and shes serious, she must have got a loan, out of somewhere to fund that,

has she a bank account in the cayman islands, to fund that 100k

• Advertisement

and she didnt make it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,793 ✭✭✭chillywilly

i think that surf seed idea is a runner

ya, but i think yer one only showed an interest because it was the last pitch and she hadnt made an investment,

it looks to me like rte done a good job of taken the mick out of alledged royalty

well played on their behalf really made a fool out of the uks richest shrudest "buisness woman"

It was only the last idea shown on tonights show....that is the format. There is always two investments made on each seriers, the first one and then the last one. Everything in the middle of the show is ones that just didn't do the deal.

It doesn't mean however these are the order that the businesses pitched in, just made to look that way in the editting suite.

I think the seeds is a fantastic idea and the lads got a bargain at 20% with a 15% limit for dilution of shares. It will do a bomb! Bit pricey at over 3 euro a tube, but if they do the volume they might get their costs down.

I thought they were expensive too, and I didnt know surfing was the largest growing sport in Ireland, would love to know where those stats were dragged from. I think it was the guy himself he was brilliant, I was roaring at the tv, dont invest with that wagon Sarah!!! I was so afraid he was going to, but her big mouth got her into trouble. shes full of it. I heard her on the radio a few months ago saying that the Irish Dragons Den created a record for the most amount of money invested in the first series, what a pile of ****!

• Registered Users Posts: 19 churrusco2

Yes I think they invested in both the guy and the idea.

Those seeds are definitely very pricey though. I still cannot get how can it cost €1.25 from source, when you can easily find seeds (peeled or not) in any mediterranean country at .50/.70 *retail* prices.

"Surf seeds" a great Idea if they can get the price down, people are far more aware of what their spending today. €1 to €1.50 if they want to sell in volume.

The gob monster was only bidding on the business for the crack. I would love to see a show the really promotes Irish Business. Something that shows high potential and sustainable Local and national business in Ireland.

i.e. I see that there is a new Irish gaming company advertising on section of this site "BetJacks" I've had a look at them and it look like they have put a great business together. They have launched the service in the height of the recession which show some ball to be fair

I also see come new renewable energy companies starting up that should be getting more exposure, does everything have to have global potential

I think the reason that they are just under two euro to manufacture would be down to sourcing, then I think they are coated in belguim chocolate, the packaging, running costs of the processing plant, etc.

I think Sarah would get things done, but at the cost of 'fun' and 'sanity'. If you are as serious natured as her, you'd be fine. But yer man was gas. He had so much energy and very colourful too! He chose the right dragons for him. She would probably do just as well with the product, but they would probably fall out in the short term.

"Feed Gronola" massive in the US, reminds me of this product has the potential to be even bigger as a globel brand, if they get the price right I'd buy it.

You man was great he was a very clever chap making sure he had 2 offer before he decided what to do, he was able to read sean like a book.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 218 ✭✭D.W

damien1211 wrote: »
    "i.e. I see that there is a new Irish gaming company advertising on section of this site "BetJacks" I've had a look at them and it look like they have put a great business together. They have launched the service in the height of the recession which show some ball to be fair
    You trying to put D'arcy out of a job?:)

• Advertisement

That lad will never be out of a Job:P

that guy at the moment was filliing the 'surfboard' with seeds by hand, so maybe that would bring down the cost if they had it automated.

I think Seán played it very clever. He loved the product and the man, but may be somewhat lacking in this area of business, hence ensuring Bobby Kerr got in with him. In this instance he will mainly be bringing capital.

I hate when people ask 'can I negotiate'? You either just negoitate or not - don't ask someone 'can I possiably ask you to give me more?'

Or a better one, 'would you be able to move on that figure' - emmm 'no' that's why I said it! What do people think they are going to say, emm yeah sure, here take my stake, and sure have my money for nothing - i'm feeling a bit generous today!

and sean looking for a belly rub on live television

;)

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Music Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,499 Mod ✭✭✭✭Blade

Does anyone have any information on that guy from Skibbereen and his 3D photo idea? It didn't get much airtime cause no one was interested or seemed to have any knowledge in that area. I thought it looked pretty cool but we didn't get to hear anything about it. When the picture on the stand wobbled you could see the 3D effect even on your 2D TV, something thats difficult to do, normally you need some sort of glasses to get that effect.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 827 ✭✭✭Brian Capture

Sarah Newman doesn't care about anybody.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,630 ✭✭✭Oracle

The seeds are a good product and that guy was a great salesman. Although I've seen snack-sized seeds, including the sweet sugar-coated kind, in lots of places. So it's not a new idea, I'm not sure that the addition of a surf board shaped pack will be enough to make it a success. Also the dragons were a little caught up with his sales pitch. If anyone else had pitched a product they were only making 25c on they'd have eaten them for breakfast.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88 ✭✭Bruce11

Will be interesting to see at the end off the series how much each Dragon invested? Then in a year how the companies do?

Does Sarah Newman actually have money? She always says she likes a product and would have invested except for some reason unique to her. Did she invest in anything other than her time and getting paid by RTE?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,462 Mod ✭✭✭✭Axwell

Bruce11 wrote: »
    Will be interesting to see at the end off the series how much each Dragon invested? Then in a year how the companies do?

Does Sarah Newman actually have money? She always says she likes a product and would have invested except for some reason unique to her. Did she invest in anything other than her time and getting paid by RTE?

That was the end of the series wasnt it? :rolleyes:

Advertisement