Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool v Man City [Match Thread] Sun 3pm

• 20-02-2009 5:53pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,492 ✭✭✭

It's a big one and would have to be classified as a must win for Liverpool, even if Utd don't pick up three points against Blackburn (highly unilkey)

Gerrard is definitely out so the big question seems to be will it be Lucas and Masch in the middle or will Rafa pull a surprise with Aurelio doing a job. It is interesting to see Spearing has made the squad but I would be seriously surprised if he was in contention for a starting place. Another note of interest is no Insua in the squad which I would presume means Rafa thinks he needs more recovery time from his trip away. Slightly strange that the BBC have listed 19 players in the squad when team plus seven subs is 18 so I don't know how accurate this "squad " is.

On the City side of things, I would be hopeful they continue their poor run of form away from home in the league - just one win, fours draws and sevens losses. From what I read about their game in Copenhagen it sounded like a pretty poor performance particullarly in terms of fight and spirit. However maybe having Dunne back might make some difference.

I would be expect the formation to be 4-2-3-1

Reina
    Arbeloa Carra Skrtel Aurelio
    Lucas Masch
    Kuyt Benayoun Riera
    Torres

Liverpool : Cavalieri, Hyypia, Agger, Dossena, Babel, Ngog, Spearing, El Zhar.

In terms of former players Liverpool have Riera, while City have Bellamy.
    Hopefully the mini-break will provide useful to Liverpool as this is the start of a tightly packed run of games with City, Boro and Sunderland between now and March 3, while United take on Blackburn, Newcastle and Tottenham.
    Liverpool v Man City
    PREMIER LEAGUE
    Venue: Anfield Date: Sunday, 22 February Kick-off: 1500 GMT
    Coverage: BBC Sport website, BBC Radio 5 Live & highlights on Match of the Day
    Gerrard tore his hamstring during the FA Cup defeat to Everton
    Steven Gerrard has been ruled out of Liverpool's clash with Manchester City on Saturday with a hamstring injury.

Liverpool, who are also without the suspended Xabi Alonso, had hoped that Gerrard would be fit enough for a place on the bench.

Manchester City defender Richard Dunne is available after serving a ban.

Nedum Onuoha and Vincent Kompany both impressed in Dunne's absence but one will have to make way. Gelson Fernandes remains out with a hamstring problem.

Liverpool fear Gerrard may also miss Wednesday's Champions League game with Real Madrid.

"We don't know if he'll be back for the game in midweek," said manager Rafael Benitez. "But he will not be involved against City."

Gerrard was forced off after 16 minutes during Liverpool's FA Cup fourth repay defeat at Everton on 4 February and Benitez is keen to make sure his captain is fully fit rather than risking further injury.

"He is improving but we cannot take any risks so he won't be in the squad," added the Spaniard.

Liverpool (from): Reina, Arbeloa, Carragher, Hyypia, Skrtel, Agger, Aurelio, Dossena, Babel, Benayoun, Mascherano, Lucas, Riera, Torres, Kuyt, Ngog, Cavalieri, Spearing, El Zhar.

Man City (from): Given, Hart, Schmeichel, Richards, Onuoha, Dunne, Kompany, Bridge, Garrido, Zabaleta, Elano, Caicedo, Ireland, Robinho, Bellamy, Vassell, Weiss, Logan, Evans, Berti.

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 9,648 Mod ✭✭✭✭mayordenis

It's definately a massive game every game we don't match a united win or capitlise on them dropping an point from here on in is more or less fatal, I'm not speaking in absolutes as anything can happen of course, but yea pretty fair to call it must win.
    Which I think (hope strongly) we will.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,281 ✭✭✭slingerz

It's a big one and would have to be classified as a must win for Liverpool, even if Utd don't pick up three points against Blackburn (highly unilkey)

Gerrard is definitely out so the big question seems to be will it be Lucas and Masch in the middle or will Rafa pull a surprise with Aurelio doing a job. It is interesting to see Spearing has made the squad but I would be seriously surprised if he was in contention for a starting place. Another note of interest is no Insua in the squad which I would presume means Rafa thinks he needs more recovery time from his trip away. Slightly strange that the BBC have listed 19 players in the squad when team plus seven subs is 18 so I don't know how accurate this "squad " is.

On the City side of things, I would be hopeful they continue their poor run of form away from home in the league - just one win, fours draws and sevens losses. From what I read about their game in Copenhagen it sounded like a pretty poor performance particullarly in terms of fight and spirit. However maybe having Dunne back might make some difference.

I would be expect the formation to be 4-2-3-1

Reina
    Arbeloa Carra Skrtel Aurelio
    Lucas Masch
    Kuyt Benayoun Riera
    Torres

Liverpool : Cavalieri, Hyypia, Agger, Dossena, Babel, Ngog, Spearing, El Zhar.

In terms of former players Liverpool have Riera, while City have Bellamy.
    Hopefully the mini-break will provide useful to Liverpool as this is the start of a tightly packed run of games with City, Boro and Sunderland between now and March 3, while United take on Blackburn, Newcastle and Tottenham.

that liverpool midfield is terrible. take Alonso and gerrard out abd there is 0 creativity. benyaoun, kuyt and riera are midfielders that mid table teams wouldnt be too happy with

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,678 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

slingerz wrote: »
    that liverpool midfield is terrible. take Alonso and gerrard out abd there is 0 creativity. benyaoun, kuyt and riera are midfielders that mid table teams wouldnt be too happy with

and it begins :rolleyes:
    benyaoun and kuyt are playing very well this season and riera had a brilliant start to the season but has faded off but still looks dangerous

city are ****e away so i expect an easy liverpool win

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,233 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

Benayoun has looked pretty good the last few games I've watched tbh

As Headshot said, City's away form is terrible, Should be a Liverpool win or else a 0-0

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

I think Liverpool should walk this at a canter. That statement is true 99 out of 100 times with Man City. Then again, City might show up and control the game, but I'd be surprised if they did it away.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

I'm predicting an upset here. I fancy City to take a shock lead and for the game to finish a draw.

Superman needs to boss the game which is very possible now that Gerrard's out. Given will need another special game against Liverpool too.

Don't often say this but come on City! :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,904 ✭✭✭DeadSkin

I'm predicting an upset here. I fancy City to take a shock lead and for the game to finish a draw.

Superman needs to boss the game which is very possible now that Gerrard's out. Given will need another special game against Liverpool too.

Don't often say this but come on City! :pac:

Lets hope so, and leave in another 5 :pac: ;)

Headshot wrote: »
    and it begins :rolleyes:
    benyaoun and kuyt are playing very well this season and riera had a brilliant start to the season but has faded off but still looks dangerous

city are ****e away so i expect an easy liverpool win
    #

kuyt/benayoun/riera premiership winning material my hole

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,411 ✭✭✭shotamoose

Maybe, but it doesn't make them 'terrible'. Try a little nuance in your life.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Nuisance? ;)

Ah who cares? The league is a formality according to PP.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 15,552 ✭✭✭✭GuanYin

It really depends on which Man City turns up to play. I've seen at least 3 different versions of the team ranging from Championship quality to Champions League Soccer quality!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

I predict a boring scoreless draw.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,731 ✭✭✭el rabitos

i predict a 10 page long thread if we lose, 5 if we win

• Closed Accounts Posts: 325 ✭✭lint316

shotamoose wrote: »
    Maybe, but it doesn't make them 'terrible'. Try a little nuance in your life.
    Riera is savage. Lucas is a disaster. That will be the difference. If he plays Lucas as opposed anyone else in the middle. Brazilian they say? Looks more Hungarian to me

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,890 ✭✭✭SectionF

Me too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭PiE

12-0 to Liverpool

#

WAH!

lint316 wrote: »
    Brazilian they say? Looks more Hungarian to me

Xenophobia has no place here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,342 ✭✭✭Ardent

Score draw here and the title race to be over.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,999 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

These are the sort of games that Liverpool find easy with the other team willing to take them on.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

i could be watching a Utd game with PHB tomorrow?! oh my this is so exciting! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,604 ✭✭✭200motels

I think we'll win this one 2 0, City's away record is awful.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭PiE

Ardent wrote: »
    Score draw here and the title race to be over.
    That would just make your weekend wouldn't it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,342 ✭✭✭Ardent

No it woudn't. I'm just being realistic.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,731 ✭✭✭el rabitos

Ardent wrote: »
    No it woudn't. I'm just being realistic.

you dont think its realistic that liverpool would beat man city at home?

liverpool dont do realism. see games v stoke etc

el rabitos wrote: »
    you dont think its realistic that liverpool would beat man city at home?

ah just don't bother man it's a waste of time,
    the best we can hope for is a draw :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭Podge2k7

2-0 or 3-0 would be nice.!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,678 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

the brazilians usually dont show up in away games so

ill predict a 1-0 win for liverpool

and Given to be very busy

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

We haven't a snow ball's chance in hell

Reverse psychobabel always works! :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,329 ✭✭✭wcarey1975

I've gone for a bold move of lucas as captain in my fantasy foot team. If given licence, with gerry out, he has the abiity just needs the composure. Prediction Liverpool 3-1

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

Pool have dropped a few points at home, City are awful away from home. Easy pool win sadly.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,246 ✭✭✭Mgoraf

Have a feeling City will get soemthing from this....

Can't believe it's not on TV. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,067 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

Just checked and this game doesnt seem to be on tv. Have I missed something ? Will there be any pubs showing it in Dublin ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Unearthly

Tusky wrote: »
    Just checked and this game doesnt seem to be on tv. Have I missed something ?

I imagine it's not because it was originally scheduled for a Saturday 3pm game and because of the uefa cup it was pushed back an extra day.

Same reason why Man Utd v Fulham last wednesday wasn't on tv.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,725 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

2-2

Reira and Torres

Ireland and Bellamy.

Torres to equalise in the last 3 minutes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,384 ✭✭✭Highsider

Torres hatrick and Bellamy to get sent off. Also the media to put Rafa down after the match for his "crazy" decisions and "unbelievable" starting 11 even though we get the result.:rolleyes:

Opps not forgetting some of our own "fans".....lol

• Registered Users Posts: 956 ✭✭✭internelligent

Torres WILL score. Heard it here first lads!

Anyway, Benayoun may not have the same strength as Stevie but I think he can be very creative so I can see him creating one or two assists for Torres. Hope Kuyt is on the right with Benni in the hole.

No Gerrard OR Alonso does worry me though. :(

Prediction: 3-1

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,095 ✭✭✭zing

Game is on 5 live. I often prefer it to some of the crappy online time delayed streams.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,067 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

I really hope that Benny plays behind Torres. Hes so much more clinical/creative than Kuyt, who is much more effective from the wing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,154 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

2 - 1 pool.

I'm not sure fivelive have it either - unless its on Extra, as there is an early game and a late game, the 3pm game is swamped by both and fivelive won't spurn two live games to concentrate on the one in the middle I'm sure.

mike65 - they have it from 3:15 -> 5:00 so miss the first 15 mins.
    According to:
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/fivelive/programmes/schedules

Ah, hope when they go over its not all over goal wise! :)

sure sod all happens in our games goal wise these days until the last 10 or 15 mins anyway ..

zing wrote: »
    mike65 - they have it from 3:15 -> 5:00 so miss the first 15 mins.
    According to:
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/fivelive/programmes/schedules

http://www.liverpoolfc.tv/ have live commentary. They have every game.

rarnes1 wrote: »
    http://www.liverpoolfc.tv/ have live commentary. They have every game.

If you're a paid up member ..

zing wrote: »
    If you're a paid up member ..

as are most loyal fans

• Registered Users Posts: 956 ✭✭✭internelligent

here we go

• Advertisement
Advertisement