Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Social Welfare Ireland / UK

• 20-02-2009 5:54pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 677 ✭✭✭

Just so all the "rip off" moaners can see where the extra charges go, here is a direct comparison of the 3 main social welfare payments between UK & Ireland. Currency rate = €1.15 / £1

Unemployment benefit
    UK = €69.75, Ireland = €204.00

Childrens Allowance
    UK = €23 / week 1st child, €15 a week subsequent children
    Ireland = €39 per week first & second children, €46 / week subsequent children.

Pensions
    UK = €105 / week contributary pension
    Ireland = €219 / week pension.

Don't forget you only get a reduction on your council tax & must pay water rates in full.

Anyone for moving to the UK for saving 10% - 20% on their shopping ???????

I used to live there (til 2003)- NEVER ever ever again!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,736 ✭✭✭ch750536

Naa, you're trying to reason with people who don't give a damn. Look at the fella moaning about how he has to pay VRT on his new car every year.

I'm alright Jack, got my cheap goods without supporting the local economy.
    :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,096 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

ch750536 wrote: »
    Naa, you're trying to reason with people who don't give a damn. Look at the fella moaning about how he has to pay VRT on his new car every year.

I'm alright Jack, got my cheap goods without supporting the local economy.
    :rolleyes:

Does buying stuff from Maplin in the UK count as supporting your local economy?:P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,212 ✭✭✭Jaysoose

darc wrote: »
    Just so all the "rip off" moaners can see where the extra charges go, here is a direct comparison of the 3 main social welfare payments between UK & Ireland. Currency rate = €1.15 / £1

Unemployment benefit

Childrens Allowance

Pensions

Don't forget you only get a reduction on your council tax & must pay water rates in full.

All this highlights is that the irish govement cant do maths as they dont have enough money to maintain this level of welfare payments. I personally know people on the dole in the north and the south, the difference being down here they are happy to "pass go and collect €200" every week.

ejmaztec wrote: »
    Does buying stuff from Maplin in the UK count as supporting your local economy?:P

Not talking about the occasional purchase here, €100 out of the country is no major issue.

The people getting vans to load up from the north has a big impact on the economy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,191 ✭✭✭✭Latchy

Wages / social welfare payments / pensions were always better in Ireland than UK but cost of living was also higher in Ireland.However with this recession probably hitting UK harder than most EU countries ( uk statistics) , food prices and other esentials rising and current downturn in Irish Economy ,it remains to be seen were best to live / shop for bargins .Obiously people will continue to shop up north regardless of their circumstances .Patriotism doesnt come into it in most peoples lives were getting a bargain is concerned ,north or south including brits going over to france to stock up on ciggies / booze .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭richiepoorman

Unemployment benefit

Childrens Allowance

Pensions

Other than the social welfare payments/council tax we are been ripped off in nearly every other aspect in this country,
    Examples include, anything to do with motoring, insurance costs, annual road tax, maintance/servicing, dont even start me on VRT, even petrol prices are closer to each other now than ever.
    Everyone knows about weekly shopping prices, what about magazine's, lack of competion between utility companies, postage/delivery cost's, price's and quality of public transport, not sure but I think they pay less tax than us and have greater tax free allowances, cheaper broadband and telephone charge's, Sky TV.....etc,
    I could go on and on but i think you get my point
    I lived there for years as well , but came back in 2006.:confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,706 ✭✭✭craichoe

Other than the social welfare payments/council tax we are been ripped off in nearly every other aspect in this country,
    Examples include, anything to do with motoring, insurance costs, annual road tax, maintance/servicing, dont even start me on VRT, even petrol prices are closer to each other now than ever.
    Everyone knows about weekly shopping prices, what about magazine's, lack of competion between utility companies, postage/delivery cost's, price's and quality of public transport, not sure but I think they pay less tax than us and have greater tax free allowances, cheaper broadband and telephone charge's, Sky TV.....etc,
    I could go on and on but i think you get my point
    I lived there for years as well , but came back in 2006.:confused:

You are sorely mistaken,
    Lets take your examples:

My insurance in Ireland TPF&T

Holland - Same car:

Road tax Ireland:
    528 euros / year

Road tax Holland:
    1120 euros / year

Congestion tax Ireland:
    None

Congestion Tax Holland:
    180/year (Also 70 of that is for Nordrhein Westfalen in Germany since I travel there)

Cost of a service on my car in Ireland (Indy mechanic):
    120 euros

Cost of a service in Holland(Indy Mechanic):
    160 euros

*rate of labour was the same for both mechanics 20/hour and I bought my own parts !*

VRT ... Its called BPM here, roughly around 30% on an Import (depending on Co2 emissions)

Petrol was 1.28/L this week, I got my Diesel for 94c/Litre , was 1.08 in Neuss (Near the border) this week

The two words you mentioned that I agree with as being inadequate is "public transport, thats about it"

The rest, well you were living in la la land for the last 10 years, its only going to get worse, things may get cheaper but thats only because your spending power will be reduced.

So give me a break, Ireland is not the rip off the Irish people think it is, it people moaning comparing it to a Neighbouring contries prices but conveniently leaving out all of their EU neighbours.

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭richiepoorman

craichoe wrote: »
    You are sorely mistaken,
    Lets take your examples:

My insurance in Ireland TPF&T

Holland - Same car:

Road tax Ireland:
    528 euros / year

Road tax Holland:
    1120 euros / year

Congestion tax Ireland:
    None

Congestion Tax Holland:
    180/year (Also 70 of that is for Nordrhein Westfalen in Germany since I travel there)

Cost of a service on my car in Ireland (Indy mechanic):
    120 euros

Cost of a service in Holland(Indy Mechanic):
    160 euros

*rate of labour was the same for both mechanics 20/hour and I bought my own parts !*

VRT ... Its called BPM here, roughly around 30% on an Import (depending on Co2 emissions)

Petrol was 1.28/L this week, I got my Diesel for 94c/Litre , was 1.08 in Neuss (Near the border) this week

The two words you mentioned that I agree with as being inadequate is "public transport, thats about it"

The rest, well you were living in la la land for the last 10 years, its only going to get worse, things may get cheaper but thats only because your spending power will be reduced.

So give me a break, Ireland is not the rip off the Irish people think it is, it people moaning comparing it to a Neighbouring contries prices but conveniently leaving out all of their EU neighbours.

I was comparing cost's between Ireland and the UK, not Holland, Ireland is a rip off compared to the UK. I have never lived in Hollland, if what your saying is true well then Holland is also a rip off ???:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 677 ✭✭✭darc

I was comparing cost's between Ireland and the UK, not Holland, Ireland is a rip off compared to the UK. I have never lived in Hollland, if what your saying is true well then Holland is also a rip off ???:)

And if you were living in the uk with exactly the same job as you have in Ireland you would have take home pay approx. 30% less than what you get here plus then you have to pay council tax & water charges (average £2500 non tax deductable.) Also public transport is WAY higher priced in UK than Ireland.

Shop around in Ireland and you will find value.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,706 ✭✭✭craichoe

And if you were living in the uk with exactly the same job as you have in Ireland you would have take home pay approx. 30% less than what you get here plus then you have to pay council tax & water charges (average £2500 non tax deductable.) Also public transport is WAY higher priced in UK than Ireland.

Indeed its all relative, in comparison the UK looks like a ripoff compared to Germany, but the take home pay is quite low there, depending on where you live of course.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,835 ✭✭✭CamperMan

Unemployment benefit

Childrens Allowance

Pensions

even working in the UK, you have no money at the end of the week to treat yourself.

anyway, we live here in the South and shop in the North, best of both worlds

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,432 ✭✭✭mcwhirter

What public transport? In Ireland that is....

ch750536 wrote: »
    Not talking about the occasional purchase here, €100 out of the country is no major issue.

The people getting vans to load up from the north has a big impact on the economy.

Maybe the government should charge us to cross the border into northern Ireland, that would stop us trying for cheaper goods in our vrt infested cars.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,096 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

I'd say that twenty years ago, the UK paid higher benefits than Ireland. It's only in recent years that amounts here have sky-rocketed.

In the not too distant future, I think the situation is going to go back the other way, as the Irish government will not be able to sustain anywhere near the present level.

mcwhirter wrote: »
    Maybe the government should charge us to cross the border into northern Ireland, that would stop us trying for cheaper goods in our vrt infested cars. propping up a foreign economy to the detriment of our own.

Corrected you there mate, hope you dont mind.:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,559 ✭✭✭Tipsy Mac

CamperMan wrote: »
    anyway, we live here in the South and shop in the North, best of both worlds

+1 :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,443 ✭✭✭Red Sleeping Beauty

Unemployment benefit
    UK = €69.75,

!

Are you sure about that ?
    mcwhirter wrote: »
    Maybe the government should charge us to cross the border into northern Ireland

There's people rollin' in their graves at that suggestion of yours there...

Are you sure about that ?

There's people rollin' in their graves at that suggestion of yours there...

I have a dry sense of humour, it was a sarcastic comment:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 147 ✭✭L.R. Weizel

You do realise that 70 euros wouldn't even cover the rent of most places here? And if you get rent allowance, would only just about cover food? That is pretty insane if it's true. I think you get other kinds of benefits in the UK though.

How much is disability in the UK?

They've different levels of disability as far as I know in the UK.

And indeed 70 Euros wouldn't cover a week's shopping, travel and anything else to facilitate searching for a job.

• Advertisement

As far as I can tell disability isn't much either. That's nuts. I was considering moving to the UK because it's more diverse socially, but I'm still on disability(currently on a National Learning Network course to do something about getting back to work, but I'm only going to be doing part time jobs for a while, even if the economy turns around in a year or so).

Still if you do have a half decent job, I can't see any reason to live in Ireland over the UK.

The Irish government needs to work on bringing down prices so they can bring down the dole. The UK needs to raise it's dole... but of course it won't be able to.

The Govt. won't try and bring down prices. Not a hope in hell. This Govt. is powerless and useless against BBIIIIIIG Business!

The UK's disability might be rubbish but they've a far better health system - with the NHS for instance you only pay about £7 for your prescription regardless of what's on it. The NHS has more holes than a block of swiss cheese and it's in a bad way and they do some nasty things - like address lottos were only say 2 people per area are allowed have a certain operation - but in comparisson with ours, it's miles ahead.

It's also worth noting that the minimum wage in the UK is pathetic, utterly pathetic. It's about £4.50 for <17 year olds, then there's a seperate min wage for 18-24 year olds and then for 25+

Or something like that

You do realise that 70 euros wouldn't even cover the rent of most places here? And if you get rent allowance, would only just about cover food? That is pretty insane if it's true. I think you get other kinds of benefits in the UK though.

How much is disability in the UK?

£68 per week, most of your rent paid though if in sheltered accom.
    Car allowance of £1100 per year I think.

They are changing the system in the UK though, bills being passed soon I think. Rather than doctors saying you are disabled they have to state what you can do.

For example, my dad who cant walk can type.

Therefore he is not disabled, just limeted to certain types of work.

Not sure how this will work out in practice though,.

£68 a week wouldn't even cover food and travel for me, possibly even in the UK. You don't get a free bus pass either. Does the UK government think people should be happy to simply exist?
    For example, my dad who cant walk can type.

Therefore he is not disabled, just limeted to certain types of work.

That's barbaric and nobody that should be considered a human being could have suggested it. My disability is mental/social and I currently can't do ANY work. The whole routine and idea of the workplace is enough to give me a fit every couple of months(as it did last time).

I know they were considering getting people to "work" for their dole, when they get next to nothing to begin with. These kind of right wing extremists should be locked up and never let out.

I think my mind is made up, I'll move to Sweden. They have a "Welfare state" that actually works. Though that said by the time I do I'll probably be working anyway - I just prefer to live in a country that's not run by sociopaths.

There really is no need to force potentially unstable people to work in this day and age.

Notice how countries like Sweden which have welfare up the wazoo don't have any more of an economic problem than Ireland, because they're well-managed and people don't moan about their "hard earned cash" going to people who aren't working.

Rates
    Disability Living Allowance is in two parts - the care component and the mobility component. You may be able to get just one component or both.

Care component-Weekly rate
    Highest rate-£67.00
    Middle rate-£44.85
    Lowest rate-£17.75
    Mobility component-Weekly rate
    Higher rate-£46.75
    Lower rate-£17.75

and they want to reduce this?

It is scary how both the Irish and UK governments seem set on running down the welfare system. They can dress it up all they like but it's quite clear what they're trying to do.

It's a bit shocking... both countries welfare systems will resemble America before we know it :(

Social Welfare's definitely going to get hacked in Cowen's April Fools Day budget.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,753 ✭✭✭Xterminator

Alan Rouge wrote: »
    It is scary how both the Irish and UK governments seem set on running down the welfare system. They can dress it up all they like but it's quite clear what they're trying to do.

It's a bit shocking... both countries welfare systems will resemble America before we know it :(

Social Welfare's definitely going to get hacked in Cowen's April Fools Day budget.

Of course it will. and it has to.

where do you think the money comes from? The tooth fairy?

Less workers paying tax, and double the number claiming the dole = cuts.
    i'm not blaming the unemployed, nor excusing the fact that public sector wage bill have increased 50% since 2004, or the bankers or anyone.

BUT we have to live within our means, ie we cant pay the people who are unemployed more than we can afford to. Its a cold hard fact. It wont change no matter whos in government, if we cant afford it, we cant afford it.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement