Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Need some help please

• 20-02-2009 6:17pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6,281 ✭✭✭

Hello all i've lost some documents and suspect they might be in my documents on my old XP pro install which had a serious issue,Anyway i'm now on a new copy of XP pro and all is ok but how do i access the other document from the older install as i get an error saying access denied because stupidly i protected it from my network.

I'm pretty handy with windows but i'd rather be carefull than mess up the file altogether,Thanks!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 194 ✭✭charlesD

Ricky91t wrote: »
    Hello all i've lost some documents and suspect they might be in my documents on my old XP pro install which had a serious issue,Anyway i'm now on a new copy of XP pro and all is ok but how do i access the other document from the older install as i get an error saying access denied because stupidly i protected it from my network.

I'm pretty handy with windows but i'd rather be carefull than mess up the file altogether,Thanks!

Did you completely reinstall windows?

If you did not completely reinstall windows and the problem is just that it won't let you access the files because they are set to private, you can log in as an administrator, goto the users settings in the control panel, select the user, and change the option that sets the files as private.

Another option would be to use a Linux Live CD, like sysrescue, and copy them to a USB stick.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,438 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

right click start button and explore all users
    then right click on the folder that matches the user name and get properties and in securtity you have to first take ownership and then change the permissions to see the files

if the drive was formatted or you used a recover disk then you are looking at some thing like photorec (google photorec testdisk) to recover files , but IF it finds any they won't have names :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,281 ✭✭✭Ricky91t

Sorry just to add,the older xp install with my protected doc is on another partition!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,438 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

in that case browse to the
    documents and settings
    folder on the other drive and start looking there

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,281 ✭✭✭Ricky91t

in that case browse to the
    documents and settings
    folder on the other drive and start looking there

thats my issue,i can find it but can't access it...

• Advertisement

ah then you are going into properties to take ownership and then change permissions

Advertisement