Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

[Eircom] Router Stolen

Options
  • 20-02-2009 6:39pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 233 ✭✭

Some b*****d broke into my home and stole my Eircom Netopia
    Wireless router above all things. :mad:

I contacted Eircom and in fairness to them they said they'd send me
    out a new replacement in 5-10 working days free of charge.

I was just wondering a) is a router like actually of any use or value to anyone
    or would it only be compatible with my eircom connection?
    and b) is there anything else I should be worried about, I presume the losing my router won't affect my system or internet connection or put me at risk in any way right?

:confused:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,288 ✭✭✭✭ntlbell

lol

brings a whole new meaning to stealing the neighbors wireless

• Closed Accounts Posts: 134 ✭✭conjamuk

ntlbell wrote: »
    lol

HAHAHAHA

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,669 ✭✭✭mukki

lol, wonder which is more illegal

op I hope nothing important was taken

• Closed Accounts Posts: 233 ✭✭oddone

mukki wrote: »
    lol, wonder which is more illegal

op I hope nothing important was taken

Thanks, no nothing serious thank god.

Glad to see others find it so hilarious, wonder if they would
    if they were in my shoes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 204 ✭✭h8red

LOL HAHAHA ROFL ETC.

To answer your questions OP. The router is not tied to your line it'll work anywhere. There's nothing to worry about when you get your new one from eircom. Just forget about the old one.

Sorry to hear about the break-in.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,288 ✭✭✭✭ntlbell

oddone wrote: »
    wonder if they would

are these your shoes?

funny-shoes-1.jpg

h8red wrote: »

To answer your questions OP. The router is not tied to your line it'll work anywhere. There's nothing to worry about when you get your new one from eircom. Just forget about the old one.

Thank you.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,299 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Glad to see others find it so hilarious, wonder if they would
    We find it funny, as the routers aren't that great.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,502 ✭✭✭thefinalstage

Some b*****d broke into my home and stole my Eircom Netopia
    Wireless router above all things. :mad:

I contacted Eircom and in fairness to them they said they'd send me
    out a new replacement in 5-10 working days free of charge.

I was just wondering a) is a router like actually of any use or value to anyone
    or would it only be compatible with my eircom connection?
    and b) is there anything else I should be worried about, I presume the losing my router won't affect my system or internet connection or put me at risk in any way right?

:confused:

Oh, you are gonna have some fun with the swap out rule....

are these your shoes?

:rolleyes:

• Advertisement

The what now?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,724 ✭✭✭Vanbis

lol

Classic :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,898 ✭✭✭✭seanybiker

ha ha ha thats a bit random

• Registered Users Posts: 3,590 ✭✭✭Tristram

lol

bizarro

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

LOL HAHAHA ROFL ETC.

if he used WPA wouldn't the key he used be stored on the router, so in the unlikely event that he used a password that is used for other things will be in the hands of the robber.

other than that there's nothing to worry about in terms of security of your broadband/router/internet side of things

• Registered Users Posts: 1,451 ✭✭✭Onikage

What a moron. Of all the things to take! Your shoes or jacket were probably right next to it and would have been worth more.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 204 ✭✭h8red

What the fuck is "the swap out rule"?
    if he used WPA wouldn't the key he used be stored on the router, so in the unlikely event that he used a password that is used for other things will be in the hands of the robber.

Even if the robber got that password I'm fairly sure he wouldn't be able to get any information as to what logins were associated with it.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 23,092 ✭✭✭✭beertons

Lol, nice shoes!

Sorry to hear bout the break in though man.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,826 ✭✭✭godskitchen

oddone, chill my friend, I am sure people are not laughing at the fact you got broken in to.

The netoipa router is one of the biggest piles of poop you will ever come across, I think what people find funny is that some wanker of a burgler thought it might be worth a few bob.

"oh a shiney white box with flashing lights, wires, near one of them things the police use to type into, it has to be worth mega $$$$$$"

The notopia router is pretty much worthless.

Funny how the Netoipa router, a router from Eircom that facalitates the "theft" of bandwidth ends up being stolen itself.

I think you should write to Alanis Morissette about this..........she likes these kind of stories.

oddone, chill my friend, I am sure people are not laughing at the fact you got broken in to.

The netoipa router is one of the biggest piles of poop you will ever come across, I think what people find funny is that some wanker of a burgler thought it might be worth a few bob.

"oh a shiney white box with flashing lights, wires, near one of them things the police use to type into, it has to be worth mega $$$$$$"

The notopia router is pretty much worthless.

Funny how the Netoipa router, a router from Eircom that facalitates the "theft" of bandwidth ends up being stolen itself.

I think you should write to Alanis Morissette about this..........she likes these kind of stories.

Aah I see, :) I can see things a little clearer with hindsight, I was a lot more upset when I posted the OP earlier as it wasn't long since I'd discovered I'd been robbed.

Thanks for the replies, was worried it could have been used by someone to tap my account or something, I acan accept the laughs because really all I know about the technical side is how to plug in the right wires and cables and power on the pc.

Anyways, on dial-up at the moment and it is so feckin slooooooooooooow.

How did we ever manage with it?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,987 ✭✭✭Auvers

I reckon the thief does not have any ISP subscription and thinks by nicking the router that he is now going to have a connection once they plug it in at home :D

sorry to hear about the break in though, rotten fcukers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,898 ✭✭✭✭seanybiker

yeah wouldnt worry bout the router . I have about 4 or 5 of em floating around me house.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,718 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

Well it is important for you to call Eircom and to get them to change your DLSAM login details. If you don't the thief could plug the router into his own phone line and use your account to access the internet *.

* Of course it would be pretty stupid for a thief to do that as it would allow the Gardai and Eircom to trace back where he lives.

• Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭Isaac702

This is Eircom we are talking about.
    Unless you were part of the initial subscribers to broadband in Ireland you don't have a personal password for your account. All Eircom customers simply get eircom and broadband1 as a password.

With Eircom you don't have to worry about this. The thief would also have to have broadband anyway to be connected at the exchange.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,184 ✭✭✭Kenno90

he'd be able to use the router , , a mate brought aroung his router and i was able to use it no problem

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,388 ✭✭✭delllat

eircom router for sale-:D

first 5er gets it

came from someones house

He probably saw the antenna and the flashing lights and thought it was an expensive piece of kit. Probably wont even be able to trade it for a bit of skag.

Oh knackers..

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

Even if the robber got that password I'm fairly sure he wouldn't be able to get any information as to what logins were associated with it.
    ohh yeh i didn't mean it's likely but it's something to be aware of.

i know people who have their network keys same as their alarms/bank pins as not to forget them. complete stupidity but if my router was stolen and i had that password shared with anything else - i don't i ain't stupid :p - i'd be changing whatever else shares that password.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

Not just a good WPA password, but always change the default admin password too. Prevents evil websites changing your router's DNS for man-in-the-middle attacks on websites you visit.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,426 ✭✭✭JohnC.

bk wrote: »
    Well it is important for you to call Eircom and to get them to change your DLSAM login details. If you don't the thief could plug the router into his own phone line and use your account to access the internet *.

* Of course it would be pretty stupid for a thief to do that as it would allow the Gardai and Eircom to trace back where he lives.

Isn't the account tied to the actual phone line? So while the router will work elsewhere, the OPs account can't be used elsewhere?

Advertisement