Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Interrailing for Dummies

• 20-02-2009 7:32pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 879 ✭✭✭

Myself and a friend are looking at going interrailing in July, with a view to starting off in Croatia and ending up in Amsterdam.
    The only places we have decided on visting so far are Prague and Krakow.

Does anyone have any suggestions or tips they can bestow upon us? :)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,857 ✭✭✭Valmont

Just buy Europe on a shoestring and go for it, it isn't that difficult you know! Based on my excursions around Europe via train, I would completely avoid Croatia. The sea-side resorts remind me of the costa del sol except crappier and Zagreb is fairly **** too. Start out in Bosnia or Serbia if you can. Sarajevo is a great city.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,650 ✭✭✭cooperguy

One thing Id be interested in finding out is do people recommend booking hostels in advance or just arriving and finding somewhere then?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 729 ✭✭✭scruff321

cooperguy wrote: »
    One thing Id be interested in finding out is do people recommend booking hostels in advance or just arriving and finding somewhere then?

buddy just do a search on this forum about interailing theres about 10,000 threads about the same things.but to answer your question about booking done it twice or three times, wasnt really bothered, think you get it cheaper at times if you book it but who wants to know were theyr staying all the time!
    thats bollocks about croatia btw its a very nice country.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,857 ✭✭✭Valmont

scruff321 wrote: »
    thats bollocks about croatia btw its a very nice country.

Well you aren't exactly showering it in praise either...

• Registered Users Posts: 39 alison_q

i had a savage time in croatia, hvar was gorgeous. particuarly because of the fact that we had been slumming it around europe for 2 weeks previously and hadnt planned to go there so didnt know what to expect. We just got told by some croatian girl we were talking on the way to ljubljana that hvar was fun - so off we went.
    zagreb was alright i suppose, we happened to be there during some independence celebration and there was a concert on in the main square but aside from that there was nothing major to do.
    only place I hated was Milan (dirty and boring), the only reason we stayed was because we were meeting a friend.
    vienna was brilliant too - go to the bermuda triangle, there's a bar in that area that sells vodka by the BOTTLE (and its cheap too)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 553 ✭✭✭Futurism

Suppose I might as well throw a question or two in ;)

Price. I know that everything comes as a factor, but how much would I be looking at needing (roughly!) for around 22 days in September? Countries in mind were Czech Rep. Poland, Slovenia, Austria*, Italy*, Germany*. Not planning on drinking much so that should minimize cost. Eating at restaurants would probably be the biggest cost. And I'm not sure whether a Rail pass is necessary or whether I'll just get tickets when I get to the station.

* They're more expensive I think so we'll either avoid them or minimize our stay. Maybe just replace them with cheaper countries.

Also, anyone got an idea of a route that's nice? Obviously I'm open to changing it to fit things in but it's so hard deciding what to do when there's so much.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,618 ✭✭✭Civilian_Target

You can cheap it, but an interrail where you don't worry about you money costs about e100 a day (a little more in the west, a little less in the east, a lot less if you leave the EU)

For some countries (France, Germany, Switzerland), a rail pass if worth it after 2 trips. In Eastern Europe, it's mostly a liability

Advertisement