Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Engineering Job Advice Required Due To Redundancy

• 20-02-2009 7:42pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 26

Hi,

I really hope you can help.

My boyfriend just lost his job today as his company was making redundancies...

He worked as a Calibrations Engineer in a pharmaceutical company. He now has to start looking for a new job as either a Calibrations Engineer or a Junior Engineer. He has a degree in Electrical & Electronic Engineering.

I was wondering what you think his best bet is in finding a new engineering role? Does anyone know any good engineering job agencies in Dublin? Any advice or ideas would be much appreciated because before he found this job (about 2 yrs ago), he mailed companies through some job sites but he had very little responses so he'd feeling a little overwhelmed at having to go through job searches all over again.

As you can imagine, this is a bit of a nightmare so we'd appreciate any help you can give us.

Thanks,

mwaters.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,259 ✭✭✭Shiny

I find that the Fas website is a good place to find engineering
    jobs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26 mwaters

Oh I must try that- thanks a mill for your reply:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,137 ✭✭✭experiMental

Go to CPL recruitment, Merrion Street in Dublin (www.cpl.ie)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26 newie

Hi all,
    I am currently in the final semester of studying for a degree in Elec Eng. Prior to this I qualified as an Electrician.
    Well basically what Im looking for is any information etc that would help me in getting work for the summer as a junior engineer in a firm, either here in Ireland or abroad. I know the way things are at the moment with the recession but any help would be extremely grateful

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 4,436 Mod ✭✭✭✭Suaimhneach

If you're still in college, go to your careers office, speak with your lecturers and see if they have an alumni with industry links.

Dont work in the engineering field myself, so in terms of outside of college as a recent graduate, I cant advise. I hope someone else can!

• Advertisement

A lot of engineering places are letting people go, not hiring staff, at least in Dublin. I know where I am they aren't hiring... in Dublin. Up in Belfast they are looking for people, so if nothing turns up in Dublin it might be worth looking further afield.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21 GazeeboBrown

The olympics-related building work in London must surely be a big draw for the newly graduated engineers? If I were doing engineering right now, I'd be on the first boat over!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,137 ✭✭✭experiMental

newie wrote: »
    Hi all,
    I am currently in the final semester of studying for a degree in Elec Eng. Prior to this I qualified as an Electrician.
    Well basically what Im looking for is any information etc that would help me in getting work for the summer as a junior engineer in a firm, either here in Ireland or abroad. I know the way things are at the moment with the recession but any help would be extremely grateful

try ESB - they are always looking for new staff, according to "The Metro" newspaper

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 blue_eye

In this economy I would try everything. Unfortunately I don't know any specific engineering jobs but I would post my resume online on all major websites and even on the new ones like www.resumark.com, which actually helped me to find a job(Retail Store Manager).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 67 ✭✭CorkLady1983

Try Eirgrid or Airtricity - always looking for engineers. Be expected to work hard at Airtricity, friend of mine works there, very long hours, weekends included....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 183 ✭✭doledude86

Graduated myself last May, got a job then subsquently got let go 2months later, in a bind at the moment but ya just have to keep going...any advice would be helpful on where to look etc

CorkLady thanks for the Eirgrid heads up...I seen your post and said sure ill see are they recruiting, turns out the closing date for applications for Grad positions was closing at 5 today, got it in there at 4.23 so fingers crossed, Thanks for your lateral thinking.:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 67 ✭✭CorkLady1983

happy to help! I work in Eirgrid myself, If you need any info on things if you're called for interview feel free to message me here or PM me.....

doledude86 wrote: »
    CorkLady thanks for the Eirgrid heads up...I seen your post and said sure ill see are they recruiting, turns out the closing date for applications for Grad positions was closing at 5 today, got it in there at 4.23 so fingers crossed, Thanks for your lateral thinking.:D

Looking there it says no later tan the 6th of April so that makes it monday

So it does thanks for pointing that out mate! Good Luck if you are applying

Applied alright but not much hope really. Im only finishing the normal degree
    this year altough a qualified spark so that might stand for somethin. I heard there was 300 interviewed for the ESB one last week and only 10 jobs up for grabs

Yeah think this one is 3 places and i'd say both 50-100 interviews...wre going have to know our stuff if we get the call alright..

Advertisement