Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sonairte Bottle Banks

Options
  • 20-02-2009 7:58pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 512 ✭✭✭

Has anyone seen this? Basically all the bottle banks that were located at Sonairte Ecology Centre have been moved to Laytown. As I understand it, Meath county council came up with the brilliant idea of locating the recycling facilities in a new children's playground which is being constructed. The locals went mental and 3 days later the containers were moved to the corner of the car park.
    4 things:
    - Why in God's name were they moved from Sonairte in the first place? It was an ideal location for them. People could pull into the parking bay and dispose of the glass. I do realise that this spot was abused at Christmas whereby some tossers left all kinds of rubbish but why not invest in some CCTV equipment so they can be presecuted. In terms of collecting the glass too, it was a no-brainer, the trucks had lots of room to pull in and lift the containers.
    - Who came up with the hair-brained idea of locating them on the children's playground? It might serve to 'educate' kids about the need to recycle but I believe that thinking should start in the home.
    - You now have the containers located in the corner of that car park. If anyone knows this area, they will be familiar with the fact that this car park is full 5 days a week for the entire week, due to the train station next to it. I would like to see a collection truck come into there, nevermind the fact that the entrance to the car park has one of those metal barriers to prevent taller vehicles entering. I know they can open this, but again it doesnt make sense.
    I think it will actually put people off trying to bring glass there as it is usually a tight squeeze into the car park, not to mention the lack of room if more than one car if trying to offload glass. Also and I am open to correction on this, but I think that this location would be prone to more abuse than the Sonairte location.
    - Do Sonairte want rid of the bottle banks? Does it not strenghten their eco-image having them next door?

If anyone has any insight into any of this, please let me know.

Background articles:
    - Uproar over Sonairte dumping
    - Bins moved away from playground

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 466 ✭✭aquascrotum

Laytown carpark is a poor place for it but imo Sonairte was inadequate.

No lighting, open to abuse. I work 8-6 and didn't get a Saturday free, so had to stand sorting my brown/clear/green etc bottles in the light of my headlights standing in the p***ing rain. Every time I was there it seemed like there was a new sign threatening to remove it if the illegal dumping didnt stop.

Both locations as bad as each other. IMO in the corner of the Bettystown Tesco carpark would be the best location off the top of my head. Well lit, always people around, lots of space, and in the main commercial area of B'town/Laytown.

• Registered Users Posts: 565 ✭✭✭justagirl

Drax wrote: »
    If anyone has any insight into any of this, please let me know.
    [/URL]

All I can find is a doc from 2007 suggesting they be relocated to a more 'secure' area: http://www.meath.ie/LocalAuthorities/Meetings/ElectoralAreaMeetings/SlaneElectoralAreaMeetings/SlaneElectoralAreaMeetings2006-2007/File,29462,en.doc

That is such a ridiculous place to put them, the new playground is so long awaited - I can imagine the scene already with glass everywhere - it will be a difficult enough task trying to keep the new playground secure without providing missiles yards away from it...

You could email Thomas Byrne
    http://www.bertieahern.ie/person.phpx?pid=211&bid=482&rel=TD&aid=139

And as for having them in the carpark ?? I reckon they just panicked because they were confronted with Pat Boshell (from my knowledge does a great job locally) and others .... and then thought - 'oh, theres an empty spot to put them... ' .. then leave them there for two years until someone can figure out a 'proper' place to put them....:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,504 ✭✭✭bbability

There was CCTV watching it at Sonairte. There were a few convicitons over the years for illegal dumping. Anyway that facility is no way big enough for the population of the area. And that car park is the last place it should go.

Advertisement