Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

IReland during the Second World War

Options
  • 20-02-2009 8:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9,030 ✭✭✭

Wouldn't mind getting my hands on extra info on Ireland during the emergency, anyone have any reccomendations?

Currently reading The Lost Years by Tony Gray but I'd be interested in reading further.

Anything comparing the experiences of the Republic and the 6 counties during the war would be especially welcome.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 670 ✭✭✭Hard Larry

Not sure where you live KOTJ but the Soldiers and Chiefs exhibition in Collins Barracks, Dublin is worth a look.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

I have a pretty good book here. 'The Emergency: Neutral Ireland 1939-45'.

You're welcome to have it as to be honest while I have a huge interest in WW2 it didn't extend to Ireland of the era in the way I thought it might and its taking up space other valuable military books could fill. :p

http://www.amazon.com/Emergency-Neutral-Ireland-1939-45/dp/0330493299

One of the days I'm walking by and thinking 'Wait...was that KOTJ and did he see me? No? Better walk on and pretend I didn't see him either...if he saw me in the first place...."

• Registered Users Posts: 9,030 ✭✭✭Lockstep

I have a pretty good book here. 'The Emergency: Neutral Ireland 1939-45'.

You're welcome to have it as to be honest while I have a huge interest in WW2 it didn't extend to Ireland of the era in the way I thought it might and its taking up space other valuable military books could fill. :p

http://www.amazon.com/Emergency-Neutral-Ireland-1939-45/dp/0330493299

One of the days I'm walking by and thinking 'Wait...was that KOTJ and did he see me? No? Better walk on and pretend I didn't see him either...if he saw me in the first place...."

Would love a loan of that.

And I am seeing you around Galway a lot these days. Strange times.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,021 ✭✭✭johnny_doyle

Landfall Ireland gives details of Allied and Axis aircraft and crew that landed in Ireland. Slightly different perspective from the general war stories....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,191 ✭✭✭✭Latchy

I once had a loan of a large WW2 book book from an English libary with a section in the book called '' Fiesty little ireland / Irelands neutrality ( from a british perspective ) '' with about 10 pages of text and photos .

But I had to give it back .:)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,273 ✭✭✭Morlar

latchyco wrote: »
    I once had a loan of a large WW2 book book from an English libary with a section in the book called '' Fiesty little ireland / Irelands neutrality ( from a british perspective ) '' with about 10 pages of text and photos .

But I had to give it back .:)

See if only you had been more 'Feisty' you'd have hung onto that.

I have a WWI era english book called 'Who is Responsible? Armageddon & After' published in 1914.

It is supposed to be an analysis of the German mindset but its hilarious in parts. Reading it is like watching a black and white harry enfield sketch.

The fact that its from 1914 shows through a lot 'We are faced with a possible expenditure of Tens of Thousands of lives' etc.

'This book attempts to trace out how 'Prussian tradition starting with frederick I has succeeded in corrupting the Germany of today' While the back of the book has a quote ''I rely with confidence upon the loyal and united efforts of all my subjects' The King.' I think the british public who those publications were aimed at were more than a little bit warped.

Advertisement