Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Running routes in east Cork?

Options
  • 20-02-2009 8:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,661 ✭✭✭

Lord knows I've been living in east Cork long enough that I should know, but the truth is I've never been interested before. I'm carrying a knee injury so some forestry or other soft ground might be good. I'd probably be aiming for about a 2 mile circuit - I'd be expecting to cough a lung up after about 100 yards. mapmyrun.com has runs in Cork but it's search engine doesn't allow search by area. :( Anybody know any good routes? Closer to Carrigtwohill/Midleton the better. Also the quieter the better - so nobody sees me cough up a lung after 100 yards...

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 823 ✭✭✭MG

There is a route I occasionally do at Garryvoe. Head from the beach past the Mobile home park/minigolf/tennis courts and follow the back road around and will bring you back onto the Ladysbridge to garryvoe road. About 3 miles, nice and quiet, killer hills though

• Registered Users Posts: 6,661 ✭✭✭Blitzkrieger

MG wrote: »
    follow the back road

Can't do road running - the knee won't take it....

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,498 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

what about Glenbower woods in Killeagh?

http://www.esatclear.ie/~exfish/glenbower_frameset.htm

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,498 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

or while I tihnk of it, as you head Castlemartyr, on the same side of the road as the lake, there is a forestry there..it runs all around towards the far side of the ex-Capella - we used to walk it many moons ago when I was in Irish college there :D

That looks like it could be good, thanks. I'll check it out on Thursday. Still worried about the surface though....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,744 ✭✭✭deRanged

what about the woods out behind midleton - out the mill road then towards carrig. I used do a bit of orienteering there - there's plenty of trails that would give you a short easy on the knees run.

if only I could remember the name of the place ...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 rumtumtiddles

There is a wood off the Bailick Road- on the right as you come from Midleton you will see a parking area just after you go under the Cork road- not sure it might be what you are looking for but take a visit there anyway

Thanks. I still haven't managed to get out and try any of these places. A result of alternating bouts of being busy/lazy.
    deRanged wrote: »
    what about the woods out behind midleton - out the mill road then towards carrig. I used do a bit of orienteering there - there's plenty of trails that would give you a short easy on the knees run.

if only I could remember the name of the place ...

Up towards Leamlara? Do people actually go there? I know I said I wanted somewhere quiet but I've always felt that those woods would be a serial killer's paradise...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,619 ✭✭✭Fast_Mover

I believe your talking about Ballyannon woods. Go there myself.
    Quite hilly though. It's down Dwyers Rd..keep going to the very very end.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,744 ✭✭✭deRanged

no, I'm thinking of the Curragh woods.

• Advertisement

Ah! Know of that place alright. Never gone running there though so can't comment about it.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

Coillte calls it Currach Woods:

http://www.coillte.ie/recreation/recreation_sites/cork/currach_wood/

Glenbower is great as it has several routes of different lengths. Not that I'd run it, since running is for madmen.

adam

Still can't mentally place Currach\Curragh woods, though if they're signposted from from Lisgoold they can't be that hard to find. Need to take my car for a spin tomorrow anyway....

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&hl=en&geocode=&q=curragh%20wood%2C%20cork%2C%20ireland&mrt=all

A and B. Whatever the first word, it's definitely "wood", not "woods". Curragh Woods is an estate in Douglas, and sure who wants to go there!? :)

From that map it looks like the place I was thinking of as a serial killer's paradise. I've yet to pass those woods and see one other person.

Back to work tomorrow so I won't get out this week anyway...

Yeah, I'v never seen anyone there when I pass it either now that you mention it!:laugh:

Ballyannon Woods always has someone around if its any use to you. Very popular with runners and walkers.

We went there today, on the sign outside it says both. :)

Be advised that it's basically one big hill, if you haven't done any training on the flat you might want to give it a skip for a while.

adam

Advertisement