Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Watching football

• 20-02-2009 9:47pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,265 ✭✭✭

Just wondering here. What football leagues do you lot watch?

By watch I mean attend live games and/or watch on telly/internet/in pub.

I regularly go to LoI matches, mainly Bray ones.

I watch a lot of football on the telly like the LoI, IFA football, EPL, Championship, SPL, La Liga, UEFA matches, whatever's on really. I'm not fussy at all, I just love football. Although, I'm never too fond of international friendlies.

When I watch football on the internet, I'm a bit picky. I'll just pick the game that jumps out at me. Last night I watched Cruzeiro and Estufdiantes in the Copa Libertadores, twas pretty good actually. I was watching Schalke Dortmund just there but the ****ing link died.

Anyway, what I'm getting at is what's your football viewing preferences: strictly your team or your favourite league or do you just love football in general and not give a crap who's playing?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,349 ✭✭✭Samurai

prem obvio

la liga - just revista de la liga on sky sports i try watch the barce games but the tv is never vacant :-(

would love italian football to be back on tv gooooaalazzio!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,300 ✭✭✭CiaranC

Get my live fix at Rovers. I usually watch the highlights show on Mondays nights on TV or on rte.ie, and the odd live game on RTE or TG4.

Ive stopped going to see the national team after 20 years going. I still watch them on TV.

Ive no real interest in foreign domestic leagues or the megaeuro cups really, altough I do like to take in a live game whenever I visit a place. Last one I was at was a French third division fixture.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

St pats for the live fan fix.

EPL on tv and odd game a season.

La liga for the real football and Sevilla when i can afford it.

Bundesliga if their nothing on tv...like now, like Bochum and now hertha :)

but tbh if walking by a match in a park would stop and watch it :o

hate watching internet matches, either full tv widescreen to full reality HD.

had the displeasure of watching pats vs Elfsborg on the net (somehow drank 12 cans from 4pm till game ended at 7pm) swear to god i was ****ing hammered and shouting at the laptop when this happened http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3XGTuzqxvyQ&feature=channel_page could only think how much better it would have been if i was there, stupid wife and getting married the next day :mad::mad::mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,478 ✭✭✭Bubs101

Serie A and the Premiership for fun. Normally I'd pay alot of interest to all the leagues for gambling reasons though

• Registered Users Posts: 1,246 ✭✭✭Mgoraf

Premiership and La Liga.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,692 ✭✭✭✭OPENROAD

English premier league only.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,678 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

I watch mostly the English premier league but I would like to get into more la-liga action

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,798 ✭✭✭syngindub

pure football loving maniac here.

TV

EPL
    LOI
    CL
    La Liga
    South American Football (not fussy)

LIVE FIX

Been known to play & attend Leinster Senior League Games
    Odd LOI game when i can

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,632 ✭✭✭SligoBrewer

Football on Tele? Ew!

LoI.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,249 ✭✭✭✭Kinetic^

I think it would be good for users to post their reasons for watching what they do.

I'd watch anything tbh, as in most team sports. If there's PL on then it'll stay on but if it's not, then I'd gladly watch a game from any other league. I just like watching team sports, except cricket and baseball. :)

• Advertisement

Kinetic^ wrote: »
    I think it would be good for users to post their reasons for watching what they do.

idd im intrigued why openroad only watches PL football :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,147 ✭✭✭Ronan|Raven

I watch Longford for my fix of real life footie, a bit of the old premier league and a whatever german league match is on when im around. Going back to the fatherland soon so hope to catch a game over there.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,910 ✭✭✭thusspakeblixa

L.o.I. - Shels give me my live football fix every Friday, and I'd also go to matches when I'm down in Wexford

Bundesliga - The most exciting league in Europe in my eyes, and home to an old family tradition- VfB Stuttgart

EPL - Mainly watch MOTD and the odd match so I can keep up with the lads in college who support Liverpool. It's also the most easily accesible league on TV, and I hold a candle for Man U

I'd catch a little bit of La Liga too, and would go to every Ireland home match.

I also have a habit of going to matches in places I visit. Hoping to get to a Rapid/Austria Vienna match next weekend.

dreamers75 wrote: »
    could only think how much better it would have been if i was there, stupid wife and getting married the next day :mad::mad::mad:

The wedding could have waited! There was footie afoot!

I watch Longford for my fix of real life footie, a bit of the old premier league and a whatever german league match is on when im around. Going back to the fatherland soon so hope to catch a game over there.

is fremianis any use, we signed him today :p

you gong back to your liverpool days? seriously you have seen better hoofers in LOI :D

LOI threadwreckers ftw!

yeah tried to explain it to her but that date (which i dont recall means somfin to her , technically i havent forgotten my anniversay as it hasnt happened yet but i will )

is fremianis any use, we signed him today :p

you gong back to your liverpool days? seriously you have seen better hoofers in LOI :D

LOI threadwreckers ftw!

The fatherland being Germany :P Fortuna Koln (former pats player Noel Campbell played with them ;) ) are alive and kicking again down the regional leagues hope to catch up with a game over there. They would be the families team.

Gints is class, we forgot to register him in time apparently so he couldnt play for us! (surprise surprise!) looked great in the few friendlies I saw him play for us.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,056 ✭✭✭~Marky~

I will pretty much watch anything. I even have watched a few Mls matches on the internet :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭Podge2k7

EPL , La Liga and Champions League

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

Watch Shamrock Rovers live.

Also go to a good few Ireland home games. Very occasionally go over to United.

Would watch any football on TV that's on really, but regularly watch the EPL/Champions League/LOI (Monday Night Soccer)

Try to catch La Liga when I can.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,435 ✭✭✭✭redout

1. Premiership - because thats were my team are.

2. La liga - because its great technique / also living here so kind of hard not to watch and go to the games. (I get to go see Barca play Atletico Madrid next sunday so sweet)

3. Serie A - because its on my Canal+ subscription so if its there then I will watch it considering I am paying for it although it can clash with the la liga at times.

4. Some South American football thats on late at night as again its on my subscription.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,333 ✭✭✭Dr Bolouswki

I think I'm unique in that I really don't like watching football "live".. I much prefer it on the telly. Not so much for the commentators - mostly I guess due to replays, better view of important moments etc.

Although maybe its possible I just don't like walking up a million flights of stairs and then being squashed into stadium seating - maybe a directors box view would help me :)

I predominantly only watch premiership, championship, spanish and international matches. Occasionally some Italian games also.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,692 ✭✭✭✭OPENROAD

idd im intrigued why openroad only watches PL football :confused:

I'll also throw in the Champions league.

Just don't really have an interest in other leagues to be honest in terms of watching, I'll follow the results in the other English leagues and since I have started listening to the Guardian podcast, I'm starting to take an ineterest in the Spanish and Italian results particulary following ex Arsenal players.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,951 ✭✭✭DSB

I think I'm unique in that I really don't like watching football "live".. I much prefer it on the telly.

Definitely don't think you're unique in that.

I think I'm unique in that I really don't like watching football "live".. I much prefer it on the telly. Not so much for the commentators - mostly I guess due to replays, better view of important moments etc.

To be honest, it is a pain sometimes as you wish you could see things better or again (the offside at the Georgia game, for example), but you can see things that you miss on TV, like off-ball movement and runs, the team formation as it moves and changes. And of course, the communal feeling and atmosphere.

I love the choice of TV football, it gives me so many more options, but I'd choose to be at all those matches if I could.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,060 ✭✭✭Anto McC

LoI

Championship

Champions Lge

I used to watch Premiership but i've gone off it in the last 2 seasons

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

I watch kids in the park.

Oh hang on, just realised this thread is about Soccer, I'm watching Villa - Chelsea (0-1 BTW) right now. I dont watch much on telly outside of PL/CL.

Had planned on going to watch SR this season in Tallagth but them playing Saturday nights pretty much put pad to that cos I play indoor from 5:30 - 6-30 on the Northside.

Stekelly wrote: »
    I watch kids in the park.
    Oh hang on, just realised this thread is about Soccer,

Busted, Ste. Remind me to avoid parks in Tallaght. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,969 ✭✭✭antomorro-sei

Live football - St Pats in the League of Ireland, and UEFA Cup :P

Watch other LOI games when there on aswell, MNS and the likes...

Attend a couple of Watford games a year and watch them when they're on!

Other than that, I'll watch whatever's on really!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,661 ✭✭✭✭Helix

loi
    epl
    la liga

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

LoI (Shels) for my live fix, MNS on a Monday night and then anytime there is a live LoI match on and Shels ain't playing. So basically the LoI.:cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,477 ✭✭✭grenache

The Championship
    The Premiership (sometimes)
    European Cup (sometimes)

Advertisement