Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

What makes a good 2fm dj

• 20-02-2009 10:25pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 112 ✭✭

All opinions are welcome!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 242 ✭✭Tannylan

only when they STFU then they will be good DJs

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,025 ✭✭✭Ham'nd'egger

Pat2107 wrote: »
    All opinions are welcome!

An ability to use Bebo, a road map showing all the nations rural nightclubs that hold over 1,000 people that you will do the guest gigs that you plug on air all day Friday and a tape deck to record BBC radio shows to copy ideas from :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,473 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

Also being a general all round media whore fits the bill.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,034 ✭✭✭deadhead13

Can anyone name a good 2fm dj?

Nope. ;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 375 ✭✭im_invisible

deadhead13 wrote: »
    Mr. Spring, but then thats probably not the kind of answer your looking for

• Closed Accounts Posts: 689 ✭✭✭alpha2zulu

Ryan Tubridy?? His full irish breakfast show was actually from what I remember very good:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

Now thats an oxy-MORON :pac: :pac: :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,575 ✭✭✭✭FlutterinBantam

Nice one Shyte, shows some promise.

Keep it up.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Dennyboy22

alpha2zulu wrote: »
    Ryan Tubridy?? His full irish breakfast show was actually from what I remember very good:D

I remember it too and was vey surprised when they stopped it and put in Rick and Ruth in the morning:confused: Then Marty Whelan:( But now Clown and jim jim:mad:?? Talk about down hill. Any wonder I dont pay my licence fee

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,504 ✭✭✭bbability

Dennyboy22 wrote: »
    Any wonder I dont pay my licence fee

2fm gets nothing from the licence fee. Its been said many times before. What's with the knives for 2fm anyway. The opening of this thread say it all. If you want to have a go Pat at 2fm, do it yourself.

Now thats an oxy-MORON :pac: :pac: :pac:
    Plenty of them on 2fm. ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 58,456 ✭✭✭✭ibarelycare

Jenny Greene, c'mon what's wrong with her? Best presenter by far on the station

• Closed Accounts Posts: 493 ✭✭petals

yaeh colm, jim-jim, Gerry Ryan, Nikki Hayes, Rick O'Shea, Will Leahy, Jenny Greene, Jenny Houston, Dave Redmond, Michael Cahill, Larry Gogan, Cormac Battle, Dave Fanning, Enda Murphy, John Clarke etc etc etc

My point: If they weren't good enough to be on the station they wouldn't be there!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,563 ✭✭✭connundrum

petals wrote: »
    yaeh colm, jim-jim, Gerry Ryan, Nikki Hayes, Rick O'Shea, Will Leahy, Jenny Greene, Jenny Houston, Dave Redmond, Michael Cahill, Larry Gogan, Cormac Battle, Dave Fanning, Enda Murphy, John Clarke etc etc etc

My point: If they weren't good enough to be on the station they wouldn't be there!

Several DJ's are on air not because they are good enough, but because of their contacts book, who's arse they kissed, strokes of good luck etc.

In life, it rarely happens that the best person is in the right job.

connundrum wrote: »
    Several DJ's are on air not because they are good enough, but because of their contacts book, who's arse they kissed, strokes of good luck etc.

In life, it rarely happens that the best person is in the right job.

I smell jealousy!
    If they weren't capable of doing the job it doesn't matter who they know or who's ass they kissed they wouldn't be there!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,293 ✭✭✭Fuzzy Clam

I smell jealousy!
    If they weren't capable of doing the job it doesn't matter who they know or who's ass they kissed they wouldn't be there!
    You don't know much about the way RTE operates then!;)

Fuzzy Clam wrote: »

And you do?! ;);)

Fuzzy Clam wrote: »

lol From some of Petals posts here, you would think it's Luxembourg 208 or Nova she is talking about and not 2 FM. Not to say that any of their DJ's are not good but it is somewhat blind to assume that all 2FM on air staff are the creme de la creme of Irish Media talent.

Some of the great DJ's that RTE 2 have had over the years include...

Gerry Gogan, a man who was unable to use the sound desk even though he worked for CTI installing radio studios and transmitters. Co-incidentally enough, his father worked in RTE; any guesses what department he is in?

Mike Ryan. A stalwart of over nights, his biggest claim to fame was sitting in a studio for the daytime OB's in case of any glitches. His big brother was in RTE as well; I don't think he was a camera man or anybody important;)

Lorcan Murray. Between crashing lyrics on an hourly basis, thinking everybody supported Leeds United, playing Gallagher and Lyle ever show and telling us all what nightclub in Limerick he was working in that night, this guy had it all. That's why he was moved to Lyric.

Andy Ruane. This guy traded on the name of being a 2FM DJ without actually ever having done a show on the station for years.

Electric Eddie. Did he ever even do a show on air excluding dancing at the Beat on the Street?

Any more for the list of Petals heros?:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 611 ✭✭✭MonicaBing

What makes a good 2fm Dj, em, not Tony Fenton?

He makes my ears bleed on Today fm...:(

• Advertisement

Surely you are referring to Tony Fagan. ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 788 ✭✭✭hick

go back about 15 years and you'll find a good DJ on 2fm
    but the only thing then was there was no real competition, actually in hindsight were they ever that good, now that I think about it, I think I mostly listened to 252 mostly then.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,365 ✭✭✭spoonbadger

....If they weren't capable of doing the job it doesn't matter who they know or who's ass they kissed they wouldn't be there!...
    *cough* Brian Cowen *cough*

As much as i'd like to believe you petals, the world is not a pink and fluffy place.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,365 ✭✭✭spoonbadger

Like barelycare said, jenny greene is an excellent presenter with good taste. Same with dave fanning and cormac battle (if i'm thinking of the right person). Unfortunately, 2fm doesn't want presenters with taste, sense or skill. They want lowest-common-denominator, perky presenters who can make peppy comments in between endless setlists of dance and RnB.

/Enter ruth scott

Hamndegger wrote: »
    lol From some of Petals posts here, you would think it's Luxembourg 208 or Nova she is talking about and not 2 FM. Not to say that any of their DJ's are not good but it is somewhat blind to assume that all 2FM on air staff are the creme de la creme of Irish Media talent.

Some of the great DJ's that RTE 2 have had over the years include...

Gerry Gogan, a man who was unable to use the sound desk even though he worked for CTI installing radio studios and transmitters. Co-incidentally enough, his father worked in RTE; any guesses what department he is in?

Mike Ryan. A stalwart of over nights, his biggest claim to fame was sitting in a studio for the daytime OB's in case of any glitches. His big brother was in RTE as well; I don't think he was a camera man or anybody important;)

Lorcan Murray. Between crashing lyrics on an hourly basis, thinking everybody supported Leeds United, playing Gallagher and Lyle ever show and telling us all what nightclub in Limerick he was working in that night, this guy had it all. That's why he was moved to Lyric.

Andy Ruane. This guy traded on the name of being a 2FM DJ without actually ever having done a show on the station for years.

Electric Eddie. Did he ever even do a show on air excluding dancing at the Beat on the Street?

Lindy Clarke could also be added to the list. Producer of one of the more prestigious time slots on 2Fm, Breakfast. Who just so happens to be the daughter of the boss of 2fm. And Eveyln O' Rourke, whose recent expansion into the world of television may, or may not, have something to do with her husband being deputy head of scheldule planning for RTE.

Neoptism is alive and well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,293 ✭✭✭Fuzzy Clam

And just to keep it off topic, there was a guy on the "brilliant", cough ,cough, 'This is Nightlive' by the name of Murphy. He reminded me of one Mike Murphy. Anybody know if he's related?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,292 ✭✭✭youtheman

Is it me, or does anyone else find the latest trend of having two djs talking 5hite really annoying. I can't listen to RTE2 in the morning as colin and jim 'wreck me head'. Ray Darcy is as bad with that sidekick of his (Jenny, or whatever her name is).

I like to listen to good music, intertwined with some chat from the dj. But I can't stand two djs trying to entertain me with talk for the sake of talking.

The only exception is Ian Dempsy, he knows how to bring the best out of a second speaker Daniel O' Donnel', Hector, Roy etc.

Having said that, Today FM are also going doen the road of two djs on some of their other programmes.

This thread STINKS of jealousy!
    MonicaBing wrote: »
    What makes a good 2fm Dj, em, not Tony Fenton?
    Good job he's not on 2fm anymore then no? Never heard him on 2fm personally so can't give an opinion of him only know what I was told and I always prefer to judge for myself!
    hick wrote: »
    go back about 15 years and you'll find a good DJ on 2fm
    but the only thing then was there was no real competition, actually in hindsight were they ever that good, now that I think about it, I think I mostly listened to 252 mostly then.
    So Larry Gogan isn't good?! :eek:
    As much as i'd like to believe you petals, the world is not a pink and fluffy place.
    Thank god it's not if it was I'd move out! ;)
    <snip>Unfortunately, 2fm doesn't want presenters with taste, sense or skill. They want lowest-common-denominator, perky presenters who can make peppy comments in between endless setlists of dance and RnB.

/Enter ruth scott
    What's that smell?! ;)
    Hamndegger wrote: »
    <snip>

Who said I thought they were all creme de la creme! I actually only have four favourites on 2fm and at least five dont' appealy to my tastes at all but I still say that if they weren't capable of doing their job they wouldn't be working on 2fm no matter whose ass they kissed!

Also I don't have heros! I don't believe in putting anyone on a pedestal it's not good for them! No matter who they are from Larry Gogan to the Pope they are human at the end of the day no need for pedestals! I also don't think that just because I don't like a particular dj means they are crap! If I don't like them then maybe someone else does and vice versa! It's all only an opinion at the end of the day!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,581 Mod ✭✭✭✭humberklog

I smell jealousy!

Petals you mention jealousy a lot. Why jealousy?
    Surely if all the posters that you're accusing of having that emotion taint their opinions those posters would have to have an urge (or want) to host a programme or be a dj. I like many posters here aren't in broadcasting yet hold an opinion on what's being offered on the airwaves. That's not jealousy that's just an opinion.

What would make a good 2fm dj? Bolder, more inventive and intrepid producing. At the present and since I can recall 2fm is very consevative. There is more adventurous programming re new music on Radio Gealteach (or whatever it's called...the state Irish language one).

No jealousy here Petals as I've absolutely ZERO ambition to be involved in radio.

humberklog wrote: »
    Surely if all the posters that you're accusing of having that emotion taint their opinions those posters would have to have an urge (or want) to host a programme or be a dj. I like many posters here aren't in broadcasting yet hold an opinion on what's being offered on the airwaves. That's not jealousy that's just an opinion.

What would make a good 2fm dj? Bolder, more inventive and intrepid producing. At the present and since I can recall 2fm is very consevative. There is more adventurous programming re new music on Radio Gealteach (or whatever it's called...the state Irish language one).

No jealousy here Petals as I've absolutely ZERO ambition to be involved in radio.

1: ever hear of the off button! I haven't seen one positive comment about your topics and yet for some reason you "posters" continue to listen why?
    2: The posters have no ambition to be on radio and yet they give out about the people that do try their best with their programmes on the stations!

I said it before and I say it again! What makes a good 2fm dj is the ones that are there right now! They wouldn't be there if they weren't good enough for the job and there is a slight difference in presenting a radio show and running a country!

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,581 Mod ✭✭✭✭humberklog

1: ever hear of the off button! I haven't seen one positive comment about your topics and yet for some reason you "posters" continue to listen why?
    2: The posters have no ambition to be on radio and yet they give out about the people that do try their best with their programmes on the stations!

I said it before and I say it again! What makes a good 2fm dj is the ones that are there right now! They wouldn't be there if they weren't good enough for the job and there is a slight difference in presenting a radio show and running a country!

But Petals it is a radio forum. To discuss.
    And that is unfair saying that there is no positivity...I for one often find myself championing a cause rather than slagging it off and so do many of the regular posters here.
    2fm does indeed seam to get a lot of flack but it's a little blinkered, to say the least, to assume that it's because of jealousy. I don't tune in a lot to 2fm as Radio na Life, BBC, NEARFM and Dublin City pander more to my tastes. But that's just it...taste. Not jealousy. 2fm does now and has (imo) nearly always missed the mark when it comes to promoting new music in a relevant way. Not jealousy...an opinion. Something that (thankfully) you'll find a lot of on chat forums. That's the point of them. 2fm should define the point of itself more.
    But that's nonsense to say that it's always negative here.

But Petals it is a radio forum. To discuss.
    And that is unfair saying that there is no positivity...I for one often find myself championing a cause rather than slagging it off and so do many of the regular posters here.
    2fm does indeed seam to get a lot of flack but it's a little blinkered, to say the least, to assume that it's because of jealousy. I don't tune in a lot to 2fm as Radio na Life, BBC, NEARFM and Dublin City pander more to my tastes. But that's just it...taste. Not jealousy. 2fm does now and has (imo) nearly always missed the mark when it comes to promoting new music in a relevant way. Not jealousy...an opinion. Something that (thankfully) you'll find a lot of on chat forums. That's the point of them. 2fm should define the point of itself more.
    But that's nonsense to say that it's always negative here.

I'm aware of that but how can you have a discussion when everyone has to have the same opinion! If the first few posters say that 2fm are crap then nobody should go against that opinion! Giving the thumbs up to people that agree and bitching at the people that don't! That's not a discussion that's a slagging match!

Personally I praise anyone on 2fm or any other station that is willing to get up and give presenting a go! They try their best to do the job and at the end of the day none of them are perfect they're all only trying to get their wages at the end of the day to survive and I admire the courage they have putting themselves in the public eye and quite obviously up for bashings anytime someone on a forum takes the notion to "discuss" them! You think you can do better have a go I'd love to hear it!

+100

And Petals....Larry Gogan???? Really? He's pure sh*te!!! I don't understand the whole "legend" status that surrounds him!

I'm aware of that but how can you have a discussion when everyone has to have the same opinion! If the first few posters say that 2fm are crap then nobody should go against that opinion! Giving the thumbs up to people that agree and bitching at the people that don't! That's not a discussion that's a slagging match!

Personally I praise anyone on 2fm or any other station that is willing to get up and give presenting a go! They try their best to do the job and at the end of the day none of them are perfect they're all only trying to get their wages at the end of the day to survive and I admire the courage they have putting themselves in the public eye and quite obviously up for bashings anytime someone on a forum takes the notion to "discuss" them! You think you can do better have a go I'd love to hear it!

Obviously NOT everyone has the same opinion; you for one are disagreeing with people and that's what's making this thread a discussion, not a slagging match.

It's all well and good saying that they "try their best" but that doesn't mean people don't have the right to criticise! Don't tell me you've never complained about a radio presenter, a TV show, a bad meal even, just because the person behind it tried their best :rolleyes:

And no one here is saying they can do better; I don't know why you think that everyone here has chips on their shoulders towards radio presenters, or that everyone here is trying to take over their jobs. I for one am simply intereseted in radio and like to express my views on it, both positive and negative.

The more I read your posts, the more I'm convinced you work for 2fm :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 15,914 ✭✭✭✭tbh

This thread STINKS of jealousy!

If people are only giving out because they have an ulterior motive, then by extension, you are only giving praise because you have an ulterior motive. Are you getting paid? Have you mates in RTE?

People here are free (within reason) to express their opinions, good or bad, about any of the topics that arise on this forum. It's normal that people find more motivation to post about things they don't like, and just keep the things they do like to themselves. That's the case all over boards. There are threads here dedicated to the best in radio, but they drop off the front page almost instantly. If you don't like the way the forum is going you have three choices:

1. PM the mods with your ideas
    2. Ignore the negative threads and only contribute to the positive threads
    3. Don't read the forum.

thank you
    tbh.

+100

And Petals....Larry Gogan???? Really? He's pure sh*te!!! I don't understand the whole "legend" status that surrounds him!

He's been on the radio a very long time then for someone that's "pure ****e"
    Obviously NOT everyone has the same opinion; you for one are disagreeing with people and that's what's making this thread a discussion, not a slagging match.

It's all well and good saying that they "try their best" but that doesn't mean people don't have the right to criticise! Don't tell me you've never complained about a radio presenter, a TV show, a bad meal even, just because the person behind it tried their best :rolleyes:

And no one here is saying they can do better; I don't know why you think that everyone here has chips on their shoulders towards radio presenters, or that everyone here is trying to take over their jobs. I for one am simply intereseted in radio and like to express my views on it, both positive and negative.

The more I read your posts, the more I'm convinced you work for 2fm :rolleyes:

Yeah and why then is everyone not allowed to haev their own opinon without it been ripped into?!
    People don't have a right to critise no unless it's their bosses that goes for any job! Mr. Joe Soap walks into Tesco he doesn't have a right to tell the cashier that they're crap at their job! He can haev an opinion but it's the bosses right to tell them that... Radio is the same principle anyone on radio is only doing a job. If you don't like the job their doing turn off the radio like it's not stuck on 2fm is it? I haven't complained about a radio presenter tv show or bad meal either cos I know that if I don't like it there's an off button for the first two and the third one I don't have to eat! Life's to short for complaining!
    You say nobody has a chip on their shoulders yet you all find it necessary to say that anyone in 2fm is crap at their jobs! That doesn't make sense!
    I've convinced you I work for 2fm? Excellent! :)
    tbh wrote: »
    If people are only giving out because they have an ulterior motive, then by extension, you are only giving praise because you have an ulterior motive. Are you getting paid? Have you mates in RTE?

People here are free (within reason) to express their opinions, good or bad, about any of the topics that arise on this forum. It's normal that people find more motivation to post about things they don't like, and just keep the things they do like to themselves. That's the case all over boards. There are threads here dedicated to the best in radio, but they drop off the front page almost instantly. If you don't like the way the forum is going you have three choices:

1. PM the mods with your ideas
    2. Ignore the negative threads and only contribute to the positive threads
    3. Don't read the forum.

thank you
    tbh.

Maybe i am maybe I'm not! Thing is there is NOTHING postive being said about any of the recent topics!

Also re someone above mentioning that Lindy Clarke got the job cos of the boss so what?! One of the girls I work with only got the job cos her sister was working in the company first! That happens everywhere not just rte like!

Neoptism is a fact of life in semi state bodies.

He's been on the radio a very long time then for someone that's "pure ****e"

Yes, and he's had his day.

Yeah and why then is everyone not allowed to haev their own opinon without it been ripped into?!
    People don't have a right to critise no unless it's their bosses that goes for any job! Mr. Joe Soap walks into Tesco he doesn't have a right to tell the cashier that they're crap at their job! He can haev an opinion but it's the bosses right to tell them that... Radio is the same principle anyone on radio is only doing a job. If you don't like the job their doing turn off the radio like it's not stuck on 2fm is it? I haven't complained about a radio presenter tv show or bad meal either cos I know that if I don't like it there's an off button for the first two and the third one I don't have to eat! Life's to short for complaining!
    You say nobody has a chip on their shoulders yet you all find it necessary to say that anyone in 2fm is crap at their jobs! That doesn't make sense!
    I've convinced you I work for 2fm? Excellent! :)

That's ridiculous saying that no one is allowed criticise anyone unless they employ them!!! Seriously, where are you getting this crap from?? If someone in Tesco is bad at their job, of course you have the right to tell them, it's called free speech. Maybe it's not the best way to go about it but you're still within your rights to do it. Most people would probably just say nothing but would then go home and complain to their partner about the gobsh*te in Tesco who just served them....which is, in a way, what we're doing here!! Where are you going to get in the world if you don't complain? You're telling me if you're served an inedible meal in a restaurant you'll simply choose not to eat it, and get up and pay the bill at the end? I find that incredibly hard to believe :rolleyes: You obviously don't understand the term "to have a chip on one's shoulder" either.

You seem very fond of telling people what they can and cannot talk about. Obviously not everyone likes 2fm, I don't see why it bothers you so much. Anyway, this is getting COMPLETELY off-topic! What do YOU think makes a good 2fm dj petals??

Who said I thought they were all creme de la creme! I actually only have four favourites on 2fm and at least five dont' appealy to my tastes at all but I still say that if they weren't capable of doing their job they wouldn't be working on 2fm no matter whose ass they kissed!

Only four favourites in 2FM? God, pass Petal a baseball bat and come join the RTE lynch mob, why don't you?:rolleyes:

Nobody is saying that anybody in 2FM per say is not technically able or unable to link or use Raduga or whatever playback system is installed but capable and excellent are two very different levels to aspire to. However, people are saying that some of their on air "talent" are not up to the mark and that there is far better out there than what is currently on tow. Radio is something that most certainly is not "only doing a job" as you seem to think; if it was why are you and I not on the radio?

• Advertisement

Also re someone above mentioning that Lindy Clarke got the job cos of the boss so what?! One of the girls I work with only got the job cos her sister was working in the company first! That happens everywhere not just rte like!

Just because nepotism is rife, doesn't make it right or above criticism. It means people who don't have influential friends in high places, which would be most of us, are unfairly disadvantaged. RTE has an equal opportunities policy, perhaps Mr Clarke should read it.

Ham'nd'egger I've made no mention of any favourites in this thread!
    deadhead13 you missed the point! The point is it happens everywhere get over it!

There is always an off button! If they are not good dj's or up to the mark or whatever your opinion of them are then turn off the radio when they are on or which to a different station.
    If you are already doing this then I don't know where your complaints about them not being good is coming from because who's to say that since you last listened they haven't improved ;);)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,914 ✭✭✭✭tbh

Ham'nd'egger I've made no mention of any favourites in this thread!
    deadhead13 you missed the point! The point is it happens everywhere get over it!

There is always an off button! If they are not good dj's or up to the mark or whatever your opinion of them are then turn off the radio when they are on or which to a different station.
    If you are already doing this then I don't know where your complaints about them not being good is coming from because who's to say that since you last listened they haven't improved ;);)

Petals! Sorry i mean, Petals. (see the difference that makes, btw?)

You realise that you are essentially complaining about people complaining, right? The same frustration you feel about the posters in here is the same frustration they feel about the presenters they (we) are listening to.

and in fairness, the frustration I'm feeling is that I hoped this thread would be an examination of what type of station 2fm is, what type of image they want to project and why such and such a person would be a good fit. You might have the odd dissenting view, but they would be along the lines of "yeah - I see where you are coming from, but how about this - " followed by reasoned opinion.

What we got, unfortunately is two pages of
    2fm are ****e
    no they are not
    yes they are, you must work for 2fm
    I don't and besides I'd like you to do better.

But you don't hear me complaining about that, eh?

anyway.

thread's done I think. Folks, people are going to have dissenting views from yours. This forum is not the place to establish the validity of that persons credentials in any form. You see a topic, you talk about the topic, you might tell the odd joke. Quit questioning the motives of others because all it leads to is a war of attrition right throughout every. freaking. thread.

thank you, love you all etc.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement