Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Landlord issues

Options
  • 20-02-2009 5:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,236 ✭✭✭

djpbarry wrote: »
    I suggest you have a read of your rights and obligations here:
    http://www.citizensinformation.ie/categories/housing/renting-a-home
    This legislation has failed to protect me thus far in my most recent rental, the landlord is refusing to return my deposit after I returned the keys.

I've not yet spoken to a solicitor to be fair though, so we will wait and see.
    I think I will have to pursue him through the small claims court.
    Best case scenario, this will still not return the full deposit of E1000, I believe there is an upper limit of E600 ? (not sure)

I also discovered that in my last gas bill, he merged his personal property's bill and my own not to mention the fact that he left our washing machine unrepaired for the last 8 months of the lease, so he has royally ass raped me without lube.

Its these type of experiences which make me want to own my own home.
    Lets face it. Landlords are out to make a profit, they generally do not care about the customer after the money is coughed up.
    Sorry, I still don’t know what you mean?
    Have you rented before?
    Itenerary is the list which is taken of the owners possessions at the start of the rental.
    When the lease expires, this property is accounted for and any damage can be deducted from the occupants deposit.
    (Its a commonly abused system by landlords)

I couldn't imagine the difficulty of negotiating this on a long term lease.

Hey, I’m not saying it would not be nice to own a place (I would if I could), but it would be nice to own a nice car and a nice big TV too, but none of these things are essential. They’re certainly not worth sacrificing your financial wellbeing.

I disagree.
    A big tv is unquestionably a luxury.
    I think a car (in my part of the country at least) is unarguably a necessity, however, in Dublin I would suspect not.

I believe housing is a necessity for everyone but I have been renting for a long time so perhaps I am just tired of the constant moving, changing addresses, lack of stability etc..

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,185 ✭✭✭asdasd

I couldn't imagine the difficulty of negotiating this on a long term lease.

For countries with protection for long term leasees ( like germany) the flat, or apartment comes with very little, or nothing, depending on the type of lease. It may not have white goods. People build their own kitchens sometimes and dismantle them later.

so you can move, repaint, create a new kitchen, and do what you like. no damage can really be done except to the walls. Remember ownership there is about 40%, so Doctors may not own. Some Politicans may not own. Depending on how the house is rented, and how long you are there removing you can be difficult or impossible, includind on a sale ( the house would be sold with tenant attached). You get 2 years notice if you are there 20 years ( something like that)

This legislation has failed to protect me thus far in my most recent rental, the landlord is refusing to return my deposit after I returned the keys.

You need to push it. We all benefit when these shysters are caught, and the public mood is agin these idiots ( not all landlords but the Gombeen types. I am a landlord meself)

Talk to Threshold.
    Contest the entire deposit.
    If you didnt get a rent book he is subject to a fine or a criminal offence.
    Report him to revenue. These muppets are always tax avoiders too. not having the rent book may be symptomatic of that.
    he merged his personal property's bill and my own not to mention the fact that he left our washing machine unrepaired for the last 8 months of the lease,

The last bit is unfortunate - the first is theft. Possibly a criminal offence. Threshold have lawyers. They can go to court with you.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,236 ✭✭✭Dannyboy83

asdasd wrote: »
    You need to push it. We all benefit when these shysters are caught, and the public mood is agin these idiots ( not all landlords but the Gombeen types. I am a landlord meself)

Talk to Threshold.
    Contest the entire deposit.
    If you didnt get a rent book he is subject to a fine or a criminal offence.
    Report him to revenue. These muppets are always tax avoiders too. not having the rent book may be symptomatic of that.

The last bit is unfortunate - the first is theft. Possibly a criminal offence. Threshold have lawyers. They can go to court with you.

Thank you for the link.
    I need to read this over the weekend.

Do you mind if I pm you for advice after I've read the information on the site?

I had a contract, but no rent book?
    Is that applicable?
    I have records of all payment through my bank account.
    Half way through the tenency, he asked me to pay into his wife's account instead of his.
    I refused to do so.

I doubt he was evading tax as I have his PPS number, I was set up for rent relief.

I just sent him an SMS today asking for an update (6 weeks have elapsed since end of tenancy) and he is again ignoring it.
    He has ignored all correspondence since I returned the keys.

Do you mind if I pm you for advice after I've read the information on the site?

Sure, although they would know more than me. The rent book is statutary. He should have given you one, or he is in breach. just an angle to use.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,552 ✭✭✭✭GuanYin

split/moved from politics.

Mods, sorry if this is the wrong place for it.

• Advertisement
Advertisement