Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Auction/Sale at the Ardilaun Hotel on 22nd

Options
  • 20-02-2009 11:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,014 ✭✭✭

Guys, just wondered if anyone has seen the flyer going around the town that is showing a list of electrical items that will be on sale in the ardilaun hotel this sunday.

Flyer says its a 2 euro admission charge upon entry and prices seem a little bit too good to be true. Wondered if anyone knew anything more about this or the company thats selling the suppose goods..

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

These are always complete scams.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭bigeasyeah

Guys, just wondered if anyone has seen the flyer going around the town that is showing a list of electrical items that will be on sale in the ardilaun hotel this sunday.

Flyer says its a 2 euro admission charge upon entry and prices seem a little bit too good to be true. Wondered if anyone knew anything more about this or the company thats selling the suppose goods..

I remember a few years back there was flyers for auctions around the city.You could get items for feck all.It only lasted a few hours and was over.Very dodgey

• Registered Users Posts: 2,650 ✭✭✭cooperguy

These are a scam. If you do a boards search you'll find threads on it. Most of the stuff is cheap crap.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 banthebrick

was at one in the radisson a few yrs ago.no auction involved. they start the "bidding" at a really low price then their employees shout up random numbers to jack up the price, slap on 21%VAT and 5+% commission and before people know it they're payin as much or more than the product is worth in the shops.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,082 ✭✭✭Chris_533976

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

• Registered Users Posts: 817 ✭✭✭dafunk

I went to the one in the Radisson, it was hilarious. They basically have an entire warehouse full of stuff with hundreds of each items. Some of the stuff was probably the same price as the shops but definitely some of it was much cheaper. Doubt you'd have any comeback if you brought it home and it didn't work however.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,014 ✭✭✭Curious Geroge

Thanks guys, there's a VAT number and company name on the flyer which made me think it may be legit (without been considered an ejit) but without ever having been there, its hard to see how the pricing advertised stacks up.

Read that thread. The company address and name lead to a taxi office in Carlow.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 429 ✭✭Myxomatosis

Read that thread. The company address and name lead to a taxi office in Carlow.

Feckin Carlow people.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,348 ✭✭✭vulcan57

Are these scams illegal? If so, what are the gards doing about it? If not, there is little we can do except put the word out and warn people.

I dont think they are illegal, as they plaster everywhere that you get what you pay for. They're dirty and should be illegal, but they're not :(

Ardilaun get money for it too, so they dont care.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,092 ✭✭✭pseudonym1

Im suprised that the Ardulian would let that kinda tat go on TBH

• Registered Users Posts: 45,483 ✭✭✭✭Bobeagleburger

Awaits responses like this from fools bargin hunters who attend this nonsense......
    scam.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 301 ✭✭ukgalwaymcguire

used to get these in england in the late 80s/ early 90s. there not legal there now.

they have stooges in the crowd for the good stuff, there was people coming away with boxes filled with bricks etc in alot of cases.
    not too label.. but in england they were always run by travellers.

i was very very surprised too see a good hotel hosting this event, i know they have probably rented space from them, but its not really something i expected, suppose it trys too give them some credence.

also note on the flyer.. it says graded stock, that can mostly be returns of damaged goods, they could sell anything that doesnt work quite legally with putting that in there.
    and the 2 euro entrance is not only turning them money over, but it helps them legally as well.
    very very nasty little business, and cold faced as well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 208 ✭✭scottledeuce

I went out to this on Sunday.
    Such a load of Garbage, I just couldn’t believe how people were so eager to buy this stuff from them....

I went with the idea of possibly picking up a cheap laptop but what they had was probably the same price or cheaper online (with a warranty) and well I'm not saying I can spot a pikey a mile off I've seen more genuine looking guys trying to sell my dad gates.

+1 for me passing the idiot test anyway :)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,210 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

+1 for me passing the idiot test anyway :)

Not really... you went, and paid in

• Registered Users Posts: 25,959 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

JohnCleary wrote: »
    Not really... you went, and paid in

Hard to think of a cheaper afternoon's entertainment ...

JustMary wrote: »
    Hard to think of a cheaper afternoon's entertainment ...

Dunno, heard you've dropped prices for your 'services' to €1 in these hard times

:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,389 ✭✭✭inisboffin

*gets all nostalgic and goes to youtube Only Fools And Horses episodes* ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,959 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

JohnCleary wrote: »
    Dunno, heard you've dropped prices for your 'services' to €1 in these hard times

I thought you'd added me to your "ignore" list?

Guess I'll just have to try harder.

JustMary wrote: »
    I thought you'd added me to your "ignore" list?

Guess I'll just have to try harder.

I did but I couldn't keep you on ignore for more than 1 day - What would Galway City forum be without you :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Last legs John, shape up or ship out.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement