Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Are we due a new music genre?

Options
  • 20-02-2009 11:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,457 ✭✭✭

It seems to be a long time, since we've had a new music genre.

Not just a variation on an existing genre, like emo, a genuinely new music genre.

Like in the 20th century, you had Blues, Jazz, Soul, Reggae, HipHop etc.

The last new music genre, we've had is, as far as I can tell, Electronic Music in the late 80's.

That's 20 years ago. I was only a baby when that happened. For the next genre, I want to be there from the start. Do you think there's someone out there, already creating the next big genre?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

Well the thing is, music genres always seem to start off as a variation on an existing genre, before coming into their own. Rock came along as a variation on Blues, but is now completely distinct. Who knows, we might be hearing something now that's just a vartion, but will spark off it's own fully fledged genre sometime down the lines.
    The last new music genre, we've had is, as far as I can tell, Electronic Music in the late 80's.

Late 80's? Erm, what? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,457 ✭✭✭Blisterman

Well, I meant, house/techno etc.
    It only became mainstream then.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,177 ✭✭✭nyarlothothep

very interesting. Yes I've asked that myself and I don't know. Maybe music is so available, maybe everyone is so aware of what everyone else is doing in these globalization times that new evolutionary avenues are less likely to develop. Or maybe we need new technology to create new sounds?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 123 ✭✭NiallMH

. Or maybe we need new technology to create new sounds?

No we just need an ingenious musician capable of creating a new genre , which to the best of my knowledge is non-existent ( Rihanna and the likes:mad:)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,499 ✭✭✭Sabre0001

Well the classification of R'n'B has changed significantly and there was also "nu-metal" and "emo". People are simply finding new tags for music at this stage because it seems better to categorise or put everything into a neat little box.

"New" genres aren't going to be pushed by record labels unless there suddenly becomes a demand for it. Also, people see what is successful and are willing to stay within those boundaries as for some, it's the greatest chance of succeeding...

🤪

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

NiallMH wrote: »
    No we just need an ingenious musician capable of creating a new genre , which to the best of my knowledge is non-existent ( Rihanna and the likes:mad:)

If you're looking to the charts to find some ingenious musicians, you'll be sorely mistaken. There's a vast amount of extremely creative souls out there if you just scratch beneath the surface.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,191 ✭✭✭✭Latchy

I think it's intresting that younger generation ,people in teens / twentys are discovering the different generes of music out there from previous decades and like those before them , will be influenced by it to create an alternitive style .

• Registered Users Posts: 4,452 ✭✭✭Rigsby

I dont know, but I would n't be surprised if something new comes along. In the mean time there is more than enough music to keep people interested and occupied ( if you look hard enough, that is ;) ) for the foreseeable future IMO.

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

what really grinds my gears is that when a new act appears on the scene and because they have a slightly different sound a new music genre is assigned to them. The Klaxxons came along and suddenly we had Nu-Rave or whatever the hell it was called, dont forget Nu-Metal and Nu whatever else has been coined.

I dont think that we need new genres, i think we need to stop coining nu terms for how are current genres are evolving.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,452 ✭✭✭Rigsby

Boom_Bap wrote: »
    I dont think that we need new genres, i think we need to stop coining nu terms for how are current genres are evolving.

I agree to a certain extent, but dont forget that almost all types of music "borrowed" something from another.

• Advertisement
Advertisement