Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Chinese Democracy???

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭bigeasyeah

I liked it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,898 ✭✭✭✭seanybiker

excellent album.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 123 ✭✭NiallMH

Ive heard only a few songs , im listening to it now and im definately buying it just because i love the band but im not impressed atm , well at least Axl's voice is okay in the studio but nowadays live he makes baby Jesus cry!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

NiallMH wrote: »
    im definately buying it just because i love the band but im not impressed atm

Why would you buy something you don't like?

Because I want to own it properly and listen to it properly not off youtube and get to know the album but so far i dunno ,

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

Well that was worth waiting for....not.

Wha . ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭thebigcheese22

Its a good album by todays standard, its just the hype and myth surrounding it was unreal - it was always gonna be a let down to a lotta people IMO

• Registered Users Posts: 54,162 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

seanybiker wrote: »
    excellent album.

+1

• Closed Accounts Posts: 547 ✭✭✭iseethelight

i like it at least he tried to do some different things
    progress the genre a touch

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,925 ✭✭✭Otis Driftwood

Ive listened to it straight through quite a few times and I just dont like it.
    1 or 2 ok tracks but all in all I find it to be very bland with no standout songs.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,626 ✭✭✭shezzie

:eek:must admit with all the hype surrounding the album i was expecting one spectacular album and when i first listened to it, it was a huge let down though rather than put the album away i listened to it a few times over and got into alot more...it was by a group named guns n roses my favourite all time band but to expect it to be sounding and similar to slash's and duff's input back in the daywas wrong to say the least rather like velvet revolver sounding like guns n roses...that was more punk/rock/metal sounding...axl certaining still has the same enthusiasm and energy in the album and in his live concerts....;)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,599 ✭✭✭✭ShawnRaven

Wow? Is it November 2008 already? Jesus, that flew in! :P

shezzie i think your definatly right

• Registered Users Posts: 6,382 ✭✭✭Motley Crue

Overall the album was an excellent effort, but there are a few things worth saying

1. The most influential guitarist on the album, that being Buckethead , is no longer a member of the band....which makes a follow up tour hard to pull off, or indeed the performance of these tracks on the likes of David Letterman and Jay Leno rather difficult
    2. Axl wrote great songs, but in terms of the time it took to make this album, it had too much to live up to - if Axl manages to release another within 3 years then perhaps we'll look more kindly upon it
    3. Too much orchestration, Axl himself loves movie scores, and this kind of music style is evident in a lot of the songs...but for something with the GNR name on it there is just too much "Jurassic Park" and not enough "Spinal Tap"
    4. The lack of a physical single release - can't understand why this hasn't happened when 3 promo cds have been released - means people are not being involved with the album. There should have been more promotion, especially in the UK and Ireland, for the albums release...unfortunely it didn't happen
    5. The leaking of the booklet was a big setback to the promotion plans that the band had in place for the album
    6. The video for "Better" thats supposed to be in the works - and has yet to materialize - just makes people believe that Axl was forced to release an album he wanted nothing to do with, didn't want to promote, and legally will attempt to distance himself from as the years go on

But regardless, its an amazing album

• Registered Users Posts: 15,065 ✭✭✭✭Malice

Taken on it's own merits it isn't a bad album, it's just not the legendary release that it was hyped up to be.

Why do you think it was a let down OP?

Well maybe I still havnt come to terms with the fact it is essentialy a "fake" GNR , Slash was a massive blow , As was Duff , but as well as Matt and well I was never much for both 2nd guitarists although Izzy wrote some good songs!
    I just think the style of music Axl liked can only be played by the originals , as they really did set the foundation on which GNR would become famous.
    From what Ive heard so far , its like Oasis's new album , there is no songs to really look back on say , ah that was great !
    I do only in certain cases and both of them bands are the ones I look back (Even though I wasnt round then lol)
    Axl can only be at his best with Slash , Duff , Matt(IMO) , and Izzy!!!!!

But regardless, its an amazing album

Ha A Motley Crue fan defending Axl Rose , honest i'll give you that ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,626 ✭✭✭shezzie

i suppose we will never ever beat the g n r of yesteryear i can only say i am only 32 but iwent to slane castle with my vip passes to gnr only knew at timer a few of their songs at the time my brother was a huge fan but some how i managed to get vip tickets i met axl duff and the great slash ****ing great concert and ****ing great meet with them and the beer greatest gig ever.... we only need the great axl to get his head out of his arse now...then i can salavate after duff again ...by **** he is sexier in person you would'nt think it drink drugs rock n roll etc but i had one occasion to join em in it and it was most desribable brilliant night ever ever....get the three of them together minus the politics and any true meteler of general fan will pay to see that happen...g n r g n r ..

• Registered Users Posts: 9,970 ✭✭✭Degag

I got the album and was damn impressed by the title track, damn good tune in fairness.... Shacklers Revenge got your attention and was decent enough, then........................... i looked at my ipod seeing when track 4 was going to begin and it was on track 7.... not good.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 257 ✭✭alexandros

Love GNR.
    Chinese Democracy didn't SUCK.
    Now lets' see if Axl can get over the drama and put out another one in under 2 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,599 ✭✭✭✭ShawnRaven

I gave it another listen last night and to be fair, i'm still enjoying it. I didn't get my hopes up for it between all the leaks, demo versions, live versions of it that surfaced over the years. I knew it wasn't gonna be the GNR of old, and i accepted it. I took the album for what it was, and I personally wasn't disappointed with it.

Yep, that sums it up really...

• Registered Users Posts: 15,065 ✭✭✭✭Malice

NiallMH wrote: »
    there is no songs to really look back on say , ah that was great !
    But that doesn't mean the album was a let-down does it? Surely there's a difference between a great album, an average album and a bad album? I don't think anyone will argue that it's a great album that deserves to be up there with the classic Guns N' Roses albums but it's not that bad.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

Kinda forgettable IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭thebigcheese22

Meh I enjoyed it anyway. Has a good mix of genres like and fairly adventurous. :)

Btw is it just me or during Shacklers Revenge in the middle is there a weird stopping of noise for like a mini-second that practically ruins the song?! Or is it just my CD? :o

If it wasn't so overproduced twud have been a lot better IMO, but thats understandable given how long it took to make. People can correct me but I think its the most expensive album ever at like 16 million?! :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 9,970 ✭✭✭Degag

Meh I enjoyed it anyway. Has a good mix of genres like and fairly adventurous. :)

Btw is it just me or during Shacklers Revenge in the middle is there a weird stopping of noise for like a mini-second that practically ruins the song?! Or is it just my CD? :o

If it wasn't so overproduced twud have been a lot better IMO, but thats understandable given how long it took to make. People can correct me but I think its the most expensive album ever at like 16 million?! :eek:

It does stop for a mini second or so but i like it! I'm pretty sure its the most expensive album alright though.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,089 ✭✭✭✭rovert

I revisited it recently after being disappointed originally and there is some excellent songs on it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 300 ✭✭superweld

amazing album.

to appreciate it you have to first ignore all the other BS surrounding it like the time it took, original members etc. most people can't see past that.

but based on the music alone it really is fantastic. the time it takes to produce a piece of art is nothing to the time it will be around for.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,089 ✭✭✭✭rovert

superweld wrote: »
    but based on the music alone it really is fantastic. the time it takes to produce a piece of art is nothing to the time it will be around for.

Too bad it probably will never break even :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 300 ✭✭superweld

rovert wrote: »
    Too bad it probably will never break even :eek:

money wise? it already did before release with the best buy deal.

and this also apparently includes the recording for the next album + so not bad financially at all

Advertisement