Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

In light of all Eircom Customers

Options
  • 21-02-2009 12:29am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,339 ✭✭✭

Heres an idea not just to Eircom customers. But anyone who has experienced problems with their broadband...Write to Magnet!!! :) been with em now nearly 3 years... down time: 0 (apart from electricity cuts in my estate) speeds are reliable and fast. I'm on 9mb but acutally average 11mb download and 10.5 upload. (thats even over a 3rd party wireless router!!)

just my 2 cents that once again +1 for magnet. If ya live in dunboyne castle or similar developments then you'll understand unless ya got the $hitty package. ;)

tonights is a lil low but still good for price paid
    415143067.png

Eircom? pfft I laugh at people who have Eircom

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,184 ✭✭✭Kenno90

do you know if Magnet work in Meath

• Registered Users Posts: 2,339 ✭✭✭congo_90

Magnet? yup (well Dunboyne anyways)
    *edit*
    give em a bell (mods not spamming but recommending)
    number is 1800-624638 (1800-magnet)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,383 ✭✭✭d22ontour

congo_90 wrote: »
    I'm on 9mb but acutally average 11mb download and 10.5 upload.

You seem to have the hax broadband package ...Seriously it's one thing to overflow yore download speed but to acclaim that an upload speed of that proportion is available on a normal bb package is laughable tbh.Do you live in the exchange and do they only offer yore account broadband in the county ?

:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 16,930 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

What's considered "normal broadband" here (Ireland) is laughable, tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

Eircom? pfft I laugh at people who have Eircom
    yes whilst they cry because eircom is more often than not their only hope of getting anything close to broadband speed :)

• Advertisement

d22ontour wrote: »
    You seem to have the hax broadband package ...Seriously it's one thing to overflow yore download speed but to acclaim that an upload speed of that proportion is available on a normal bb package is laughable tbh.Do you live in the exchange and do they only offer yore account broadband in the county ?

Sorry mate I dont get ya? Hax? what is so laughable? Just because the test showed (somehow) my DL was lower then UL isn't anything laughable.. usually other way around to be honest.
    What's considered "normal broadband" here (Ireland) is laughable, tbh.
    I couldn't agree more with the UK on 1 GB!! (company PC's in work her in ROI off a UK server....
    yes whilst they cry because eircom is more often than not their only hope of getting anything close to broadband speed :)
    There are plenty of other options come on now. My da can't get eircom BB because of some stupid rule in his estate but can get mobile broadband (which I wouldn't even call midband its that terrible my mobile is faster)

Anyways Other than Magnet, For those pissed with Eircome Try NTL 20mb. Lots of my friends around blanch have said its great especially with the wireless router (handy for ps3)

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,301 Mod ✭✭✭✭F1ngers

Try NTL 20mb. Lots of my friends around blanch have said its great especially with the wireless router (handy for ps3)

and 360 and 2-3 laptops...shweeet

F1ngers wrote: »
    and 360 and 2-3 laptops...shweeet

+1 should've mentioned that too. Well noted.
    So in summary of my posts NTL and Magnet are both my fave choices for those who are stuck believing in €ircons prices and "speeds" over a 48:1 contention ratio

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,221 ✭✭✭✭m5ex9oqjawdg2i

d22ontour wrote: »

Huh? What are you suggesting here?

Anyway, I have been with eircom, ice broadband, digiweb, clearwire, 3 and magnet. For the price, magnet simply rules them all. Eircom was the next most reliable, but really expensive.

I am on a 12 mb package with download speeds of average of 3.2Mb/s. Not sure about upload but it's in my sig :P

I have a contention ratio of 1:1 which means nobody shares my line. Never ever been disconnected and the people I have dealt with are brilliant. I got TV too, that is ok. About average I would say.

If you can get magnet, get it. I have never been so happy with a broadband company before.

Thing is with magnet, they do not use a price skimming strategy. This is where a company (like eircom) charge premium prices for something like broadband and gradually reduce the price as better broadband becomes available. FFS they still charge a fortune for dial up... Magnet is the best there is at the moment.

Huh? What are you suggesting here?

Anyway, I have been with eircom, ice broadband, digiweb, clearwire, 3 and magnet. For the price, magnet simply rules them all. Eircom was the next most reliable, but really expensive.

I am on a 12 mb package with download speeds of average of 3.2Mb/s. Not sure about upload but it's in my sig :P

I have a contention ratio of 1:1 which means nobody shares my line. Never ever been disconnected and the people I have dealt with are brilliant. I got TV too, that is ok. About average I would say.

If you can get magnet, get it. I have never been so happy with a broadband company before.

Thing is with magnet, they do not use a price skimming strategy. This is where a company (like eircom) charge premium prices for something like broadband and gradually reduce the price as better broadband becomes available. FFS they still charge a fortune for dial up... Magnet is the best there is at the moment.

Cant remember what we're paying but we've got the phone, tv and broadband all in one (around 40euro ) free unlimited calls but that was a special offer for this estate. Still good service (tv adequate)

*edit*
    I was once with NTL (when they were NTL) 4 years ago and never a hiccough which by standdards of the time (1.5mb) was pretty damn fast. never had downtime either !!

• Advertisement

NTL may seem good, with their large 20 MB connections. I will let you guys and girls know, you are better off with a lower connection, like 5 mb with a 1:1 contention ratio than 20mb with 24:1 contention ratio. I find NTL to be a burden. I had problems with their service so I chose magnet instead.

This country is really getting scammed for broadband... We should have broadband in rural areas by now but they are too cheap to invest... It's a shame really.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

There are plenty of other options come on now. My da can't get eircom BB because of some stupid rule in his estate but can get mobile broadband (which I wouldn't even call midband its that terrible my mobile is faster)

Anyways Other than Magnet, For those pissed with Eircome Try NTL 20mb. Lots of my friends around blanch have said its great especially with the wireless router (handy for ps3)

mobile (wireless) broadband is ****e unless you are like the only person on your cell or you have line of sight of the mast.

ntl 20mb is great if you can get it, but i find if you can't get eircom the chances of ntl covering your area is slim to none.

• Registered Users Posts: 363 ✭✭Calebmcd

Some of us only have Eircom as an option.

I get 6.5mb and 45ms(7mb). If i had the option, and i think most would do the same, i'd change in a heartbeat.

NTL may seem good, with their large 20 MB connections. I will let you guys and girls know, you are better off with a lower connection, like 5 mb with a 1:1 contention ratio than 20mb with 24:1 contention ratio. I find NTL to be a burden. I had problems with their service so I chose magnet instead.

This country is really getting scammed for broadband... We should have broadband in rural areas by now but they are too cheap to invest... It's a shame really.

Wow never knew NTL had a 24:1 on the 20mb but not too surprised to be honest mate. cheers for the input!
    mobile (wireless) broadband is ****e unless you are like the only person on your cell or you have line of sight of the mast.

ntl 20mb is great if you can get it, but i find if you can't get eircom the chances of ntl covering your area is slim to none.

Oh i know wireless is sh1te! my poor da in ferns, wexford cannot for the love of god get anything except some crap wireless prolly set up by a 15 year old on who googled networking. I swear my mobile (meteor) can load a full webpage faster than his desktop (couldnt do a speed test cos took sooo long to load i gave up)

My parents live in a rural area. The only internet that's available to them is dialup and the satelite broadband. I priced it a while back and it was sooo expensive.

Congo don't quote me on the 24:1 contention ratio, I cannot remember what it is exactly. They also do not show this on their website ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,826 ✭✭✭godskitchen

don't quote me on the 24:1 contention ratio, I cannot remember what it is exactly. They also do not show this on their website ;)

Opps:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,924 ✭✭✭eamon234

I hate you all. I live in a rural area where the best I can get is the local wireless company for a 1mb connection at €40 a month - still, better than dialup I s'pose

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,495 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

OP you do realise that Magnet do not operate in the vast majority of Ireland so telling people to write to them is a complete waste of time for ALOT of users.

Cabaal wrote: »
    OP you do realise that Magnet do not operate in the vast majority of Ireland so telling people to write to them is a complete waste of time for ALOT of users.

You do realise I said write to magnet so they would see a demand for quality services and erm....perhaps invest and expand? I'm fully aware of where magnet are and aren't in this country. Thats the whole point of this thread. To allow people to see a good system set up considering how terrible broadband is in this country!

Cabaal wrote: »

What are ya talking about? It's not a waste of time at all. Magnet see this massive surge in demand and they may invest to meet that demand. People in this country are held to ransom when it comes to ISPs. It's a disgrace.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

Lots of people could offer Magnet's service everywhere if they had the money to invest.

Even eircom.

Magnet hasn't got the money to invest. The lines and the exchange and often the backhaul is eircom if you get Magnet DSL. eircom likely makes the same profit.

Only fibre, cable and decent fixed wireless are true alternatives, real competition to eircom. Even LLU DSL isn't really competition. So the OPs reason for starting this thread is misguided.

Magnet geographic coverage is very poor. Cherry picked some high likelyhood DSL exchanges and some fibre developments. They have found problems selling their IPTV system on DSL as too few users can get the required speed to they concentrate on newer fibre developments, mostly where they have an monopoly.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,495 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

You do realise I said write to magnet so they would see a demand for quality services and erm....perhaps invest and expand? I'm fully aware of where magnet are and aren't in this country. Thats the whole point of this thread. To allow people to see a good system set up considering how terrible broadband is in this country!

Hang on so you think due to a small number of users from boards.ie writing to them they'll spend hundreds of thousands on fiber and LLU rollout.....you need to read up on how LLU rollout has basically failed in Ireland and the huge initial cost involved in unbundling a exchange.

There's more of a chance of people getting connections from UPC then from Magnet in the long term (large towns/citys though)

Advertisement