Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

How low Can You Go?

• 21-02-2009 12:29am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 14,575 ✭✭✭✭

I thought I had heard it all.

Some person from Paddy Power offered to fund Colm Murray to go to Cheltenham to report for RTE.

Now personally I couldn't give a flying shidt about Colm MUrray and his annual junket to Cheltenham,but for fcuks sake have they no pride out there??

A national broadcaster being pimped by a bookies firm!!!.

jaysus next thing we will have Louis Copeland kitting him out and Bill Cullen or someone else giving him a car.

I know RTE rejected to offer,but jaysus, a public service broadcaster should have a bit more respect for themselves or is everyone out there in bed with their own little band of ligging businesses.

What about objectivity and impartiality here??

They should be above all that crap,but obviously not.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,166 ✭✭✭mrsdewinter

Some person from Paddy Power offered to fund Colm Murray to go to Cheltenham to report for RTE.

I know RTE rejected to offer,but jaysus, a public service broadcaster should have a bit more respect for themselves or is everyone out there in bed with their own little band of ligging businesses.

I'm a bit confused here...
    Paddy Power offered. Did RTE refuse the offer?
    If so... how could RTE have more respect for themselves? Sounds like nothing more than P Power doing its usual excellent job of garnering publicity

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,608 ✭✭✭themont85

Now personally I couldn't give a flying shidt about Colm MUrray and his annual junket to Cheltenham,but for fcuks sake have they no pride out there??

A national broadcaster being pimped by a bookies firm!!!.

jaysus next thing we will have Louis Copeland kitting him out and Bill Cullen or someone else giving him a car.

They should be above all that crap,but obviously not.

Sorry what exactly did RTE do wrong here?

They made a legimate cut in spending im sure you'll agree. If they hadn't made the cut you'd proabably be moaning.

They rejected funding which if they had accepted and it surfaced after you'd probably moan about it.

In my eyes this is sensible by RTE as a public service broadcaster, in what way is it not objective and impartial?

Is this just a really shabby effort at bitching at RTE, for what to me seems like an entirely illegimate reason. Please don't turn this into the Digital Spy broadcasting forum which is just a forum now for people to bitch about the BBC.

PS: I understand why PP would want him there. He is popular and the coverage RTE usually offer would attract far more casual folk who have little or no interest in the sport like myself, who provide them with great extra business every year.

Just to add that by your logic a politician who is approached with a brown envelope and rejects it, have no 'respect' for themselves.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,575 ✭✭✭✭FlutterinBantam

themont85 wrote: »
    Sorry what exactly did RTE do wrong here?

They made a legimate cut in spending im sure you'll agree. If they hadn't made the cut you'd proabably be moaning.

They rejected funding which if they had accepted and it surfaced after you'd probably moan about it.

In my eyes this is sensible by RTE as a public service broadcaster, in what way is it not objective and impartial?

Is this just a really shabby effort at bitching at RTE, for what to me seems like an entirely illegimate reason. Please don't turn this into the Digital Spy broadcasting forum which is just a forum now for people to bitch about the BBC.

PS: I understand why PP would want him there. He is popular and the coverage RTE usually offer would attract far more casual folk who have little or no interest in the sport like myself, who provide them with great extra business every year.

Just to add that by your logic a politician who is approached with a brown envelope and rejects it, have no 'respect' for themselves.

That Sir is exactly the point I am making.
    Over the years RTE a national PSB, I repeat PSB, have been in bed with people like that.
    Paddy Power in particular, seems to have a direct line into the Sports and current department.
    The fact that someone approaches a politician with a brown envelope is indicative of the supposition that the offer has a very good chance of achieving something amongst those people !!!.That history has shown that the brown envelope is acceptable in some circumstances..

That is the point I am making, that some dude with a vested interest can actually approach RTE, THE NATIONAL: BROADCASTER, with a scheme like that and be actually entertained.

Beats the hell outa me buddy.

Thts not what I am paying a licence fee for.

Over the years RTE a national PSB, I repeat PSB, have been in bed with people like that.
    Paddy Power in particular, seems to have a direct line into the Sports and current department.
    The fact that someone approaches a politician with a brown envelope is indicative of the supposition that the offer has a very good chance of achieving something amongst those people !!!.That history has shown that the brown envelope is acceptable in some circumstances..

That is the point I am making, that some dude with a vested interest can actually approach RTE, THE NATIONAL: BROADCASTER, with a scheme like that and be actually entertained.

Beats the hell outa me buddy.

Thts not what I am paying a licence fee for.

Seriousely don't a clue what you are moaning about.

PP weren't 'entertained', they said no.

It only came out because PP wanted publicity.

As I said before I understand why PP would like the coverage to stay as it was.

Examples please.

well they've probably sponsored stuff on RTE before so yes. Is taking sponsorship wrong? If this had been under the umbrella of sponsorship would it have been wrong. Ireland as a small island is not like the BBC who can't take ads plus sponsors, we need it to have a half decent service.
    fact that someone approaches a politician with a brown envelope is indicative of the supposition that the offer has a very good chance of achieving something amongst those people !!!.That history has shown that the brown envelope is acceptable in some circumstances..

Sorry what now. Anybody can just be approached of the street including politicians. I would hasard that quite a few honest politicians have refused brown envelopes in the past. Guilty by been offered something illegal but not accepting it doesn't make you have no 'respect' for yourself.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,530 ✭✭✭Duck's hoop

It's advertising. Don't they always have 'charity' bets 'sponsored' by PP on Kenny and Mooney during Cheltenham and other meetings like Galway?
    Not making any particular point but it is worth bearing in mind. I don't know why they would refuse to get into bed through a 'sponsorship' deal such as this, with PP, when they are already halfway up the stairs with their knickers round their ankles.

Lads, RTE,the National PSB, I would have thought should be above something like this cheap and shoddy publicity stunt.

What are we going to have next?

Israel/Syria sponsoring Richard Crowley out in Jerusalem?
    Conservative party sponsoring Brian O'Connell in London??

National Rifle Association sponsoring Charles Bird in Washington.?

I genuinely would have thought that informed listeners would have seen the dangers of getting into bed with that kind of a scenario for a national Public Service broadcaster.

I would respectfully suggest trimming the salaries of the grossly overpaid out there rather than lifting the skirt for cheap stunts and encouraging liggers and others would be more cost effective.

If I want the Paddy Power angle on things I will listen to Paddy Power Radio.

I'm not paying a licence fee for trojan horses to be wheeled in when an opportunistic situation is presented.

I expect unbiased, independent , objective reporting for my money.

Is that too much to ask??

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,581 Mod ✭✭✭✭humberklog

Although I didn't catch said programme and only going by the posts here it seams RTE acted above board. Yep it does rely on PP a lot (not as much as NWTK mind), but PP is a company with a good insight into the general populace's feelings and expectations. But it looks here as though the offer was given and rejected transparently. That's pretty healthy in my book.

Like Charlie Bucket's family there's a lot of them in the bed. Occassionally an uncomfortable number. But once the fondling under the sheets is outed publicly and rejected openly..well hey. Kissing cousins tolerated but not encouraged, but kissing only!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,443 ✭✭✭Red Sleeping Beauty

I agree with everything Flutter has said here. I know it's been said time and again but RTE really are rubbish. The BBC in comparisson (recent witch hunt aside) I think can command more respect than our sub level Public Broadcast service.

There's a constant argument that RTE needs the fees and the ads to run it's ship but to be honest, the ship is a bit crap at the minute. RTE is rife with nepotism and unprofessional "professionals" from what I was told by someone who recently retired from there (as an editor for it's in house TV productions).

Look at the rubbish acting and camera work, lighting, editing etc. on Fair City!
    Sorry, slightly off topic, but yes, RTE should be above this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,726 ✭✭✭✭DMC

Paddy Power probably approached the wrong end of RTÉ that would accept a free ride. The newsroom.

Paddy Power have sponsored other RTÉ programming, including their excellent racing coverage on TV, but even they should've realised that you shouldn't touch up the newsroom. Colm Murray, afaik is attached to the newsroom end of the sports department, and not an anchor or pundit on sports programming. All he does is reports or presents sports bulletins on the main RTÉ news programmes.

Paddy Power wanted to keep the profile of horse racing, and especially Cheltenham high up. Colm Murray is good at reported from the courses, and, as RTÉ were not going to send Murray to the Festival, Paddy Power probably thought that coverage would be diminished somewhat.

Correct decision by RTÉ, but a silly approach by Paddy Power.

But isn't Colm Murray more of a TV man than Radio? I seldom hear him on the wireless.

• Advertisement

!
    Sorry, slightly off topic, but yes, RTE should be above this.

Above what? Been offered then refusing something?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,443 ✭✭✭Red Sleeping Beauty

There shouldn't be a culture where the likes of Paddy Power or other big money people can make these offers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,914 ✭✭✭✭tbh

I think I understand the point - someone in an office in Paddy Power said "we could offer RTE money to send Colm Murray to Cheltenham" and somebody said "Really? Do you think they'll go for that?" and the original guy went "Sure! I know someone in .....blah" and that part is the problem. It's that companies don't have the respect for RTE not to offer - could you imagine, for example, if the same guy had pitched the same idea, but for the BBC? He'd be laughed down.

And I can see where you're coming from, but I don't know where the story came from? Paddy Power? If so, for all we know, the only "pitch" they did was ringing the front desk and being politely declined. It doesn't look good for RTE, but when you spend your whole time lying with dogs, you have to expect a few bites from time to time. I doubt most people will be too worried unfortunately.

It's hard to compare apples in this respect though TBH as the Beeb are not commercial so the line is a bit fuzzier.
    PK made a quick reference to it this morning in a sideline with the sports desk.

tbh wrote: »
    I think I understand the point - someone in an office in Paddy Power said "we could offer RTE money to send Colm Murray to Cheltenham" and somebody said "Really? Do you think they'll go for that?" and the original guy went "Sure! I know someone in .....blah" and that part is the problem. It's that companies don't have the respect for RTE not to offer - could you imagine, for example, if the same guy had pitched the same idea, but for the BBC? He'd be laughed down.

And I can see where you're coming from, but I don't know where the story came from? Paddy Power? If so, for all we know, the only "pitch" they did was ringing the front desk and being politely declined. It doesn't look good for RTE, but when you spend your whole time lying with dogs, you have to expect a few bites from time to time. I doubt most people will be too worried unfortunately.

I understand what they are saying but it has nothing in my opinion to do with this. They rejected them. To say why or how this came out and to make assumptions about RTE and its inner workings, is just an attempt to have a swipe at RTE who aren't the BBC and unfortunately could never be.

tbh wrote: »

Couldn't have couched it in more clear language myself Teebs.

If I didn't know you better I'd say we are distant relations.

• Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭Real FM

This is the most ridiculous thing I have ever read and is a perfect example of yet another rant with no basis whatsoever.

Paddy Power supposedly made an offer, RTE said no. No speak of negotiations or anything along those lines. A straight forward no.

RTE entertained the offer? How exactly? How does it look bad for RTE? They were made an offer and they said no. Its not as if they would have thought about it. How is it mad they Paddy Power were able to contact them?

It wasnt as if they rang up the switchboard and said: "Here can you put us on to someone, we've got some crazy offer to make you guys."

FB you call this "How low can you go?" If this actually happened RTE have done nothing whatsoever except said no to a stupid offer. It clear there was no entertaining of an offer.

Here comes a completely OTT reply folks...

Now I know you are trying to troll the Flutt but I won't rise to the bait.

I know you are more intelligent than you seem by that post and you understand the point I was making and that TBH paraphrased to perfection.

I'm not going to waste time and energy repeating what I said.

if you disagree,fair enough, personally I feel RTE cheapened itself by allowing the situation to develope ,where, over the years, people like Paddy Power could feel comfortable ringing RTE to pay for Murray to go to Cheltenham.

That situation should never even be contemplated .

Like Tbh said, if you lie down with dogs , you'll wake up with fleas.

FB wants a KibbutzFM.

An auld Jaffa orange will do!!

• Advertisement

Pat Kenny cycling into montrose from the collective farm on a government issue HighNelly bike wearing standard issue blue over-alls with an orange in one pocket and a cucumber sandwich in the other. Comrade Bantam.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,929 ✭✭✭raven136

foster and allen also have offered to send him to Cheltenham.

How dare RTE get into bed with these types and lower themselves like this,i am so angry etc(or whatever the other posters were ranting about)

3304744122_3c34cba860_m.jpg

The Bantam on a recent outing in Dublin.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,914 ✭✭✭✭tbh

"poxbottles" :D

Advertisement