Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Photoshop & Layers

• 21-02-2009 1:15am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,048 ✭✭✭

I bought this book a while ago to start to unravel the mystery that is Photoshop. I am gradually making my way through it as time allows.

It may be too basic for some but for those trying to learn Photoshop so far I think its GREAT !

It uses those useful idiot proof teaching methods of click here, click there, press this button etc that I prefer and can follow

Layers: The Complete Guide to Photoshop's Most Powerful Feature by Matt Kloskowski (Author)
    Editorial Reviews

Product Description

When Photoshop guru Matt Kloskowski was asked why he wrote this book, he replied, “It’s simple: I wanted to write the Photoshop book that I wished was around when I was learning Photoshop”. You’ve always known that layers were the key to understanding Photoshop, and now you have a resource to show you exactly how. With Matt’s clear, easy-to-follow, and concise writing style you’ll learn about:

Working with and managing multiple layers
    Building multiple layered images

Blending layers together
    Exactly which of the 25+ Blend Modes you need to worry about (there’s just a few)
    Layer Masking and just how easy it is.
    Using layers to enhance and retouch your photos
    All of the tips and tricks that make using layers a breeze.
    If you want to finally understand layers in Photoshop, this book is the one you’ve been waiting for.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,368 ✭✭✭Covey

Thanks Rory, still never used a layer except to add copyright. Waaay to go. T.

• Registered Users Posts: 289 ✭✭Dink

Hmmmm I need this!! Cheers Rory! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,515 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

Thanks for the tip, here's a link to the amazon.co.uk entry for this book..

http://tinyurl.com/cxesw6

• Registered Users Posts: 419 ✭✭wasper

RoryW wrote: »
    I bought this book a while ago to start to unravel the mystery that is Photoshop. I am gradually making my way through it as time allows.

It may be too basic for some but for those trying to learn Photoshop so far I think its GREAT !

It uses those useful idiot proof teaching methods of click here, click there, press this button etc that I prefer and can follow

Layers: The Complete Guide to Photoshop's Most Powerful Feature by Matt Kloskowski (Author)
    Editorial Reviews

Product Description

When Photoshop guru Matt Kloskowski was asked why he wrote this book, he replied, “It’s simple: I wanted to write the Photoshop book that I wished was around when I was learning Photoshop”. You’ve always known that layers were the key to understanding Photoshop, and now you have a resource to show you exactly how. With Matt’s clear, easy-to-follow, and concise writing style you’ll learn about:

Working with and managing multiple layers
    Building multiple layered images

Blending layers together
    Exactly which of the 25+ Blend Modes you need to worry about (there’s just a few)
    Layer Masking and just how easy it is.
    Using layers to enhance and retouch your photos
    All of the tips and tricks that make using layers a breeze.
    If you want to finally understand layers in Photoshop, this book is the one you’ve been waiting for.
    Go toy youtube & type 'Photoshop tutorials' you will lots of lessons

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 184 ✭✭zdooldreb

Is this book based on a specific version of photoshop, elements, CS2, CS3 etc?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,699 ✭✭✭ThOnda

Most of the activities with layers are PS version independent. Layers are fun and allow you nondestructive processing. And just hiding and showing layer is fantastic way how to follow and judge changes of the picture.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,048 ✭✭✭RoryW

zdooldreb wrote: »
    Is this book based on a specific version of photoshop, elements, CS2, CS3 etc?

the back of the book says CS2 or later

coylemj wrote: »
    Thanks for the tip, here's a link to the amazon.co.uk entry for this book..

http://tinyurl.com/cxesw6

The use of TinyURLs are interesting and useful as they can help people to do many things including :

Hide your affiliate URLs
    Are you posting something that you don't want people to know what the URL is because it might give away that it's an affiliate link? Then you can enter a URL into TinyURL, and your affiliate link will be hidden from the visitor, only the tinyurl.com address and the ending address will be visible to your visitors.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 10,518 Mod ✭✭✭✭5uspect

Matt Kloskowski also does the Photoshop User TV Video Podcast, whcih I've ranted and raved about before.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,515 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

The use of TinyURLs are interesting and useful as they can help people to do many things including :

Hide your affiliate URLs
    Are you posting something that you don't want people to know what the URL is because it might give away that it's an affiliate link? Then you can enter a URL into TinyURL, and your affiliate link will be hidden from the visitor, only the tinyurl.com address and the ending address will be visible to your visitors.
    No, I have no hidden agenda, the Tinyurl link points direct at the amazon.co.uk website. If people are paranoid about being redirected to affiliate sites they can just ignore my post and click on your link which is to an Amazon US website, I'm just trying to support your recommendation and make it easier for people to buy the book, sorry if you think my motives are suspect.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 10,518 Mod ✭✭✭✭5uspect

No, I have no hidden agenda, the Tinyurl link points direct at the amazon.co.uk website. If people are paranoid about being redirected to affiliate sites they can just ignore my post and click on your link which is to an Amazon US website, I'm just trying to support your recommendation and make it easier for people to buy the book, sorry if you think my motives are suspect.

I'm your motive? :eek:

(How I've waited to use that joke)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,281 ✭✭✭Ricky91t

If anyone interested CS4 has some handy tools for layers,including a quick selective colouring tool,where you magic wand the object to stay colour click black and white and invert,Simple and easy :D

Apologies

It was just the link in the tinyurl seemed to have affiliate link in it but on a closer read I was obviously bleary eyed when I read it and mistaken

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Layers-Complete-Photoshops-Powerful-Feature/dp/0321534166/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1235177095&sr=8-1

Apologies again

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,784 ✭✭✭im...LOST

5uspect wrote: »
    Matt Kloskowski also does the Photoshop User TV Video Podcast, whcih I've ranted and raved about before.

Yeah, it's really good. Dave Cross and Scott Kelby from Kelby Training are great aswell.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,784 ✭✭✭im...LOST

Hide your affiliate URLs

You must not use twitter then....

Advertisement