Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

thinking of doing classic car storage, info/ideas please.

• 21-02-2009 2:54am
    Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭

hi there,
    im thinking about renting a former potato storage building out to store classic cars, maybe caravans.
    The building could comfortably store 10 cars leaving a wide isle in the middle for access i'd say.
    It has four inch thick foam insulation on the walls and roof, concrete floor, is well lit and has an electric roller door, a nice shed by all accounts.

It is located on a working farm , 2mins from Clonmel Co. Tipp, and would be very secure an easily accessible.
    Ive not come across anyone doing this before so im at a bit of a loss as to how much space is adequate for each car?,
    should the spaces be partitioned?,
    whats a reasonable price (somewhere between 20-40euro/car/week id imagine?).
    Would the thing be better run as a club so responsibilities/issues are shared and worked out between members??

To be honest i would like to have as little involvement as possible, (thats where the club idea comes in) and spend as little to get started.

And most importantly, is there a market out there, considering its location.

Thoughts and ideas appreciated.:)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 43 bluesguitar

Worth a try I suppose its a hard one to call. I don't think people would pay 20/40 euro a week though! I think u should set a yearly rate of maybe 500 r something specially if you want to make some sort of club out of it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,475 ✭✭✭2cv

ruxpin82 wrote: »
    whats a reasonable price (somewhere between 20-40euro/car/week id imagine?).

Just to give you an example: i know of this farm in Belgium that does exactly the same, and they have a renovated building. They're chargine €25 a month (yes, a month) and that included insurance.

I think those rates are way off the mark and i doubt if any classic car enthusiast would be willing to pay that kind of money.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,495 ✭✭✭Abelloid

I don't think €20 p.w. is unreasonable. I have paid between €85 and €100 p.m. in the past -
    I paid more for open access and the option of working on my car while there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,475 ✭✭✭2cv

JustinOval wrote: »
    I don't think €20 p.w. is unreasonable. I have paid between €85 and €100 p.m. in the past -
    I paid more for open access and the option of working on my car while there.

I had a shed in Douglas in Cork for €200 a month, and that shed could hold 5 cars comfortably. I thought that was expensive :-)

Thanks god i've got a huge shed at my house now... Holds 7 cars... Maybe i should be renting out spaces. That is, if it weren't already full
    :D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭ruxpin82

2cv wrote: »
    Just to give you an example: i know of this farm in Belgium that does exactly the same, and they have a renovated building. They're chargine €25 a month (yes, a month) and that included insurance.

I think those rates are way off the mark and i doubt if any classic car enthusiast would be willing to pay that kind of money.

hi OP back again,
    just to clarify a few things,
    what i would be proposing would allow ample space around each car to work on it,
    anytime access,
    power outlets for tools etc
    and consideration would be give for providing a car lift, depending on interest,
    i don't see the point in not having these basic facilities.

How is the cost of 2 boxes of cigarettes and a few pints/week for that kind of facility unreasonable????????

good luck to the Belgian guy with his 83cents/day!!!!:confused:

basically i want to get between 200-300euro/wk for the shed, which is the current rent on it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,051 ✭✭✭Whosbetter?

Could see a whole heap of probs with this.

If I were doing it, I would only involve fellas that I know & trust.

Even so, I'd get them to sign something legal, indemnifying me from anything to do with personal injury, damage/loss of vehicle, etc

All dealings,strictly cash only.

Saw threads about this type of thing before.
    The whole thing can turn into a whole wall of crap, if you're not careful.
    Everybody seems to be a legal eagle thease days & seem to know their 'rights'.
    No such thing as trust anynore.
    Such a shame.

Anywho , that's my rant over;)

Seriously,it's simpler than you think, if you stick to the above rules.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31 panelb/sprayer

i think you should rent it out yearly it will all add up if you have that amount of cars in there .then make a club out if it in a years time or so that what i do anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,835 ✭✭✭CamperMan

a friend of mine stores caravans and he has filled is plot with them, he had to expand the area last year to accommodate maybe another 20 to 30 caravans, he charges a minimum of €350 a year for a tiny caravan, up to €700 for a large caravan.

It is a pain, owners wanting to come down to get a pair of shoes out of their caravan, or wanting to have a play with it at the weekend, then he has the hassle of non payers. You have to start writing letters to the owners asking them for money, phoning them up, it costs money.

Not so bad when your storing 60 + caravans, I doubt it would be worth the effort for 10.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,760 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

There's no shortage of storage facilities in the country. In fact there's a glut of unoccupied industrial units.

That'll drive down your price.

If you ask in enough places you can get a car stored for next to nothing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,835 ✭✭✭CamperMan

There's no shortage of storage facilities in the country. In fact there's a glut of unoccupied industrial units.

That'll drive down your price.

If you ask in enough places you can get a car stored for next to nothing.

True, a friend has a big garage and is storing my MG Midget for FREE!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 22 stixand7bits

i am renting out a shed holds 10 cars and work space and power for 30euro a week. now you said that it earns you 200 to 300 euros a week!
    I know now if it was a club they would not pay 800 to 1,200 a month on rent. when they can find cheaper then there is the planning laws on it. my one i wanted to work out of it but couldnt get planning for it. but got the planning for car storage. for the insurance on my own cars as needed it in case the worst happened. also keeps my cars out of my own workshop:cool:

Advertisement