Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Period dramas

Options
  • 21-02-2009 3:02am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 467 ✭✭

I got a call off my (quite baffled) mother this evening. My services were requested immediately, as my fourteen-year-old sister "Niamh" (an absolute drama queen) has been invited to a date to the swimming pool with the boy of her dreams, but her legs were hairy and it was her time of the month.

First, I had to go through the whole waxing thing with her. By "go through", I mean "do it for her". YUCK!!! For a fourteen-year-old, she is very very very very hairy. That was fun.

Then, the whole tampon thing. I talked her through it, even doing a "dry run" with her (i.e. outside jeans.) I then stayed in the bathroom with her and talked her through it (with my back to her!) She eventually got the job done, after much coaxing, and collapsed in her bedroom five minutes later (OMFG!! OMFG Aoibhe, that TSS thing, I've got it, I'm all sick all dizzy, it's so painful, ring an ambulance quick!!!) She tried for about an hour to convince me to pull it out for her (I'm a good big sister but not THAT good) before eventually I managed to talk her into taking it out herself. She has decided they are the instrument of the devil, and she is (so she says) never going to use them again.

Then we were sitting down with my mam to watch TV. Jane Eyre came on. Niamh said, "Never heard of this, what is it?" Mam: "It's a period drama, you should watch it." Niamh: "WHAT???? I've had enough feckin period dramas for one night!!!" *runs from room*

I thought it was quite amusing. My own periods were never that dramatic (basically I got it, told no-one not even my own mother, bought my own tampons with babysitting money, that was it.) Just wondering whether anyone out there has any other amusing/interesting stories :D

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,288 ✭✭✭pow wow

White jeans when I was a young pup. Big mistake. :rolleyes:

I hope the young fella is worth it!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 137 ✭✭girlbiker

Sorry but that is a horrible story...you talked through inserting a tampon with a 14 yr old then waited in the bathroom for her to actually do it and then she askes you to take it out? Gives me the shivers, after you waxed her an all...? Taking your big sister duties waay to seriously IMO.:eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 467 ✭✭aoibhebree

girlbiker wrote: »
    Sorry but that is a horrible story...you talked through inserting a tampon with a 14 yr old then waited in the bathroom for her to actually do it and then she askes you to take it out? Gives me the shivers, after you waxed her an all...? Taking your big sister duties waay to seriously IMO.:eek:

That's what I told her!!!! She has no shame.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,160 ✭✭✭✭banshee_bones

you are waay too patient!

i would have told her to cop the f*ck on!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭cheekyass

Your a very good sister...I don't think I'd have had the patience for all that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,410 ✭✭✭kizzyr

cheekyass wrote: »
    Your a very good sister...I don't think I'd have had the patience for all that.

Me neither, the only waxing help I'd have given her would be the number of the local waxing salon. Also I think I'd have rather to have died a hundred times over than ask my sister for advice on how to use a tampon.:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭cheekyass

kizzyr wrote: »
    Me neither, the only waxing help I'd have given her would be the number of the local waxing salon. Also I think I'd have rather to have died a hundred times over than ask my sister for advice on how to use a tampon.:eek:

I don't think I asked ANYONE for advice on how to use a tampon.....I learned from the instructions that come in the packet

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,365 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Why didn't she just shave her legs?

• Registered Users Posts: 355 ✭✭purplegeko

I don't think I asked ANYONE for advice on how to use a tampon.....I learned from the instructions that come in the packet

My first time i was way too embarassed to ask anyone for advice its just part of growing up sometimes you just have to figure stuff out for yourself
    The OP sounds like an incredibly patient sister though.

• Advertisement

Exactly! I remember buying my first packet. My mother was very old fashioned about using anything other than sanitary towels and so I bought them and didn't tell her. Through trial and error and relaxing I got very used to using them and never looked back. Then my mum found a box of tampons a few months later and tried to put me off using them. What was wrong with them in her eyes I'll never know, she could be very silly about lots of things.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,440 ✭✭✭✭Piste

I just figured out tampons for myself! Though the first time was excruciatingly painful, dunno what I did really, must've angled it wrong or something, but ouch! I figured them out pretty quickly though, I really couldn't live without them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 GoGoGirl

Piste wrote: »
    I just figured out tampons for myself! Though the first time was excruciatingly painful, dunno what I did really, must've angled it wrong or something, but ouch! I figured them out pretty quickly though, I really couldn't live without them.

Me too. I think I didn't put it in quite far enough the first time:o Relaxing and persevering sorted me out though.........still haven't plucked up enough courage to try the Mooncup.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

I remember the first time a girl I worked with asked me for a tampon and I handed her a little plastic wrapped tampon, and she just stared at it and said "Oh no, I can't use one of those" I didn't understand what she meant until I realised she had only ever used applicator tampons and had no idea how to insert a bog standard run-of-the-mill tampon.

Also, my mom always called them bullets. "Do you need a box of bullets?" I told her never to ask the supermarket attendant for them like that. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,832 ✭✭✭littlebug

kizzyr wrote: »
    Then my mum found a box of tampons a few months later and tried to put me off using them. What was wrong with them in her eyes I'll never know, she could be very silly about lots of things.

My mother told me I had lost my virginity because I started using tampons :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,756 ✭✭✭Jules

I remember the first time i got my perio, i was in 4th class my teacher was miss kelly, our version of miss honey from matilda, the best teacher in the world, god rest her, went into the toilet, and came out and asked her for a plaster as i had cut myself and she asked were and i said i wasnt sure but somewhere there, pointing :( que the phone call to the mother, who collected me brought me home stuck an auld dr whites on the undies and put me sitting on the couch. Didnt have a clue, lasted for 7 days and didnt get them again till 6th class, and i knew by then what happened! God when i think back, it was horrible!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

Tampons were not reccemended for young ladies who were virgins as using them would
    burst/tear thier hymen and heaven forbid they become aroused from penetrating themselves with a tampon.
    :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 844 ✭✭✭allabouteve

Thaedydal wrote: »
    Tampons were not reccemended for young ladies who were virgins as using them would
    burst/tear thier hymen and heaven forbid they become aroused from penetrating themselves with a tampon.
    :rolleyes:

Anyone who thinks a tampon insertion could be arousing should be required to insert one in an non-oral orifice. That'll teach 'em.;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

Was about to proffer the best thread title ever award , but it seems that it wasn't the OP's creation. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,945 ✭✭✭cuckoo

I'm surprised that 14 year olds are going on dates to swimming pools - when i was that age I was embarassed to let my family see me in my swimming togs, let alone a boy I fancied...

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,365 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

littlebug wrote: »
    My mother told me I had lost my virginity because I started using tampons :rolleyes:

Mine too. Gotta love the generation gap eh?!

littlebug wrote: »

That was very much what mine was getting at too. However she would have been far too embarassed to actually mention the word virginity so told me I'd get all manner of infections from having "a foreign body in my body and God knows if I'd ever be able to have children". She also told me once that I'd get AIDS from a second hand pair of Levis I bought! can you believe it. The fact that I laughed in her face didn't impress her:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 96 ✭✭Polleta

Oh god I couldnt imagine having to that for anyone. I don't actually have any sisters but even for my godchild I think I'd be traumatised!

I think I just figured out how to use a tampon for myself and I didnt learn how to wax until I was 20 or so... Shaving was sooo much easier. Tampons do need some practice to get right though.. I defo put them in slightly wrong the first few times and then learned the proper way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 42 Ainm

My mother is the same, she got all nervous when she found out I'd been using tampons. She said I was too young to use them (I was about 17!!). I just said they were mostly for going swimming, which was true, and she said I could just stick a pad to my swimming togs...???? Don't quite know what she was thinking lol

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,440 ✭✭✭GirlInterrupted

.... I handed her a little plastic wrapped tampon, and she just stared at it and said "Oh no, I can't use one of those" I didn't understand what she meant until I realised she had only ever used applicator tampons and had no idea how to insert a bog standard run-of-the-mill tampon.

Also, my mom always called them bullets. "Do you need a box of bullets?"

Ow, ow, ow, ow. I never mastered the use of those, possibly because I only tried once. After inflicting grievious internal injuries I gave up, untriumphant.

When I had my first period, my parents took the whole family out to dinner to celebrate. Oh yes.

And my four brothers were told to congratulate me. I'm amazed I've turned out as normal as I am.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,739 ✭✭✭✭minidazzler

Ow, ow, ow, ow. I never mastered the use of those, possibly because I only tried once. After inflicting grievious internal injuries I gave up, untriumphant.

When I had my first period, my parents took the whole family out to dinner to celebrate. Oh yes.

And my four brothers were told to congratulate me. I'm amazed I've turned out as normal as I am.:)

Hence the name GirlInterrupted???? I apologise, but I loled at that!!!

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

I know two girls that happened to, you didn't grow up in Portlaoise did you?

One of my many sisters when aged eight, was a precocious kid (sp?) and decided to ask one day at dinner what fallopian tubes were :eek:

I'd the horror of being in primary school (fourth or fifth class) no school uniforms and getting a period unexepectedly whilst wearing a light summer skirt (it was hot summers we had back then in the dark ages), I'll never forget realising due to everyone pointing at the appalling staining on my skirt and having to walk home at lunchtime horrified.

The teachers weren't exactly helpful or sympathethic.

btw, I thought the thread referred to the likes of Victorian fillums :D

Ainm wrote: »
    My mother is the same, she got all nervous when she found out I'd been using tampons. She said I was too young to use them (I was about 17!!). I just said they were mostly for going swimming, which was true, and she said I could just stick a pad to my swimming togs...???? Don't quite know what she was thinking lol

Mine tried that too........along with the "when you're in the water you won't bleed":rolleyes: I'm wondering how on earth I managed to grow up with any level of cop on re: my reproductive system:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 419 ✭✭*Dallas

oh god this takes me back to being in secondry school and having nothing with me. Was too embarrassed to ask anybody so on my lovely bottle green uniform ended with a stain i turned my skirt around to the side to minimise the impact then walk over the far side of the room, to get my gaberdeen which i wore until lunch time... then i fled home where i stayed for a week! lol

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,060 ✭✭✭Niamho!

mp1972 wrote: »
    Why didn't she just shave her legs?

Yeah i was thinking that.....

no funny stories really. I remember someone kicking me with a sandal on and going"Oh my god...are you wearing a nappy!?" Bear in mind that when you got your period then, it was those big "Stayfree" monstrosities. they were so thick. haha. After two minutes then it was squeshed into an awful uncomfortable shape. Christ.... us poor girls.

As the famous song starts, "Sometimes its hard to be a woman......" :D

Advertisement