Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Period dramas

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 581 ✭✭✭Princessa

He he he, this thread made me lol. Sister definetly sounds like a major drama queen, there is no way i would be that good of a sister. Waxing her and doing a dry test run of inserting a tampon.... My god id be in a state of shock for a week... :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 11,195 ✭✭✭✭Michellenman

kizzyr wrote: »
    Exactly! I remember buying my first packet. My mother was very old fashioned about using anything other than sanitary towels and so I bought them and didn't tell her. Through trial and error and relaxing I got very used to using them and never looked back. Then my mum found a box of tampons a few months later and tried to put me off using them. What was wrong with them in her eyes I'll never know, she could be very silly about lots of things.

Maybe because they go in yer vag.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,485 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

when my eldest daughter was 9 i explained all about periods and finished the conversation by saying getting your period means your are growing up, but neglected to mention that it only happens to girls ..a few months go by and we are at a family gathering my daughter is being mildly teased by my 16 year old brother he is telling her that he is a grown up and she is still a child ...so in a very loud voice she say to him well have you got your periods yet!

Niamho! wrote: »
    no funny stories really. I remember someone kicking me with a sandal on and going"Oh my god...are you wearing a nappy!?" Bear in mind that when you got your period then, it was those big "Stayfree" monstrosities. they were so thick. haha. After two minutes then it was squeshed into an awful uncomfortable shape. Christ.... us poor girls.

I went shopping with a friend recently for sanitary supplies, and she has never ventured furthur afield than Stayfree's. :eek::eek::eek::eek:
    She even tried to revert me when I tried to explain the situation to her.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,183 ✭✭✭Peared

Ah jaysus tears of laughter here at the mother saying to stick the pad on to the swimsuit and the period celebration family dinner.

Brilliant.

I cried when I got mine - didn't want to grow up.

Not much has changed.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 844 ✭✭✭allabouteve

Moonbaby wrote: »
    I went shopping with a friend recently for sanitary supplies, and she has never ventured furthur afield than Stayfree's. :eek::eek::eek::eek:
    She even tried to revert me when I tried to explain the situation to her.

Like having a matress in your pants.:eek:
    Peared wrote: »

I cried when I got mine - didn't want to grow up.

Not much has changed.

I didn't tell anyone for two years. And only then 'cos they thought I was abnormal:)

I didn't tell anyone for two years. And only then 'cos they thought I was abnormal:)

I wish I had that option.....damned boob fairy made it very obvious that I had gone through puberty. And I the other "women" used to corner me and try bond by shareing. Euugh.

Moonbaby wrote: »
    I wish I had that option.....damned boob fairy made it very obvious that I had gone through puberty. And I the other "women" used to corner me and try bond by shareing. Euugh.

I'm only sorry they ever found out. I'm so glad I'd no sisters around at the time.:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,440 ✭✭✭GirlInterrupted

I'm only sorry they ever found out. I'm so glad I'd no sisters around at the time.:D

I wish I had a sister...

Its worse growing up with all boys. Trust me on this.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,226 ✭✭✭taram

Hehe I was blessed by the boob fairy way before I even knew about periods properly, so when I was asked for a pad by a girl in my class who I presume thought I had my periods, I handed over my A4 pad. :D Ah the innocence!

But on the OP: my little sister is like that, unfortunatly 19 and should have more cop on :P Talked her through a tampon insertion outside the bathroom, but she was freaking saying it was falling out and too big etc. Turns out she inserted the inserter upside down so basically inserted a carboard tube and threw out the tampon. :p

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 467 ✭✭aoibhebree

Thanks taram - good to know I'm not the only one :D

Ya like many others, my mam's not a big fan of tampons. But she insists on only buying the big massive inch thick pads that you can actually see the outline of if you're wearing fitted trousers!! I don't get it, there are so many slimline versions etc available now!

My best friend got hers when she was nine, she knew what a period was, but in her muddled mind she thought it was supposed to come out of her bellybutton!!! :confused: So, when she started bleeding "down there", she thought she was dying (her aunt had died of cervical cancer the previous year.) She didn't want to go worrying her family, so instead she got me to help her make out a will and funeral arrangements - no joke. I was no more sexually edumacated than her!! Of course, she ended up bursting into tears and telling her mammy that evening anyways :) It was pretty traumatic for both of us at the time though!!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,838 ✭✭✭midlandsmissus

nouggatti wrote: »
    I know two girls that happened to, you didn't grow up in Portlaoise did you?

One of my many sisters when aged eight, was a precocious kid (sp?) and decided to ask one day at dinner what fallopian tubes were :eek:

I'd the horror of being in primary school (fourth or fifth class) no school uniforms and getting a period unexepectedly whilst wearing a light summer skirt (it was hot summers we had back then in the dark ages), I'll never forget realising due to everyone pointing at the appalling staining on my skirt and having to walk home at lunchtime horrified.

The teachers weren't exactly helpful or sympathethic.

btw, I thought the thread referred to the likes of Victorian fillums :D

4th or 5th class? 10 or 11? God that's very young to get them isn't it, or maybe I was just very old, I was 14 when mine started.

The times I absolutely hated the most was when I had exams in college. There would be about 500 of us in this big gym, and you had to walk in front of everyone when you were finished. I would also invariably have my period while therse exams were on. I used to be petrified the whole time and be absolutely paranoid there would be a stain on the back of my trousers when i walked up to hand in my paper. What we poor girls have to go thru.

There is a definitely a sod's law with periods. You'll always get them when there's a particular occasion you don't want them for. Any music festival i've ever been to ive got my bl**dy period. If you can survive a weekend of having your period and only having stinking portaloos to sort yourself out in, you can survive anything!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 82 ✭✭holdmyhand?

came off the pill so my periods were a bit all over the place... no signs or feeling that i was gonna get my period... nice dinner with the bf, sleep on his new white sheets i bought him coz i was sick of his dirty ones.

yep. woke up the next morning. disaster. he just turned over and said 'told ya, ya shoulda just left the bloody sheets' i cried hysterically for about 5 mins i was so embarrased even though i had no reason to be, he came and got me and brought me back to the bloody bed and said 'they were gonna get dirty sooner or later'

i used to send him for tampons for fun.

came off the pill so my periods were a bit all over the place... no signs or feeling that i was gonna get my period... nice dinner with the bf, sleep on his new white sheets i bought him coz i was sick of his dirty ones.

yep. woke up the next morning. disaster. he just turned over and said 'told ya, ya shoulda just left the bloody sheets' i cried hysterically for about 5 mins i was so embarrased even though i had no reason to be, he came and got me and brought me back to the bloody bed and said 'they were gonna get dirty sooner or later'

i used to send him for tampons for fun.

I was thinking this was sort of romantic in a twisted and sick way, but then I read the last line, and now I just think its twisted....:D.

I'm just joking, it just shows that what we would consider an embarrassing disaster is just another human event, that we'll get over.

• Registered Users Posts: 688 ✭✭✭UpCork

I shudder when I think about it now - can barely even type it. Confirmation day & cream trousers!!!! Arrrgh!!! I've never worn light colour bottoms since, even when I know I'm not due. I'm even afraid to wear light brown bottoms in case I'm taken by surprised. I was scarred for life - after all, I was only 12. :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,073 ✭✭✭sam34

Ah jaysus tears of laughter here at the mother saying to stick the pad on to the swimsuit QUOTE]

I got that line as well!

in all fairness, like :rolleyes:

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

4th or 5th class? 10 or 11? God that's very young to get them isn't it, or maybe I was just very old, I was 14 when mine started.

Don't think so, there were a few girls in my class who had periods at that age and that was 25 years ago.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,073 ✭✭✭sam34

Don't think so, there were a few girls in my class who had periods at that age and that was 25 years ago.

i started mine at 11, was in fifth class i think.
    and that was 18 years ago

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,410 ✭✭✭kizzyr

UpCork wrote: »
    I shudder when I think about it now - can barely even type it. Confirmation day & cream trousers!!!! Arrrgh!!! I've never worn light colour bottoms since, even when I know I'm not due. I'm even afraid to wear light brown bottoms in case I'm taken by surprised. I was scarred for life - after all, I was only 12. :(
    Oh you poor girl:eek: That was just so unfair. I was lucky really, I was 12 and I got it early one morning before school. I went into the kitchen, told my mother who set me up with one of those massive massive towels and sent me off to school. No drama at all.
    sam34 wrote: »
    Ah jaysus tears of laughter here at the mother saying to stick the pad on to the swimsuit QUOTE]

I got that line as well!

What was with them telling us those silly things? Its out of the same stable as having a really hot bath and drinking lots of gin will help you not be pregnant any more.

in all fairness, like :rolleyes:

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Oh you poor girl:eek: That was just so unfair. I was lucky really, I was 12 and I got it early one morning before school. I went into the kitchen, told my mother who set me up with one of those massive massive towels and sent me off to school. No drama at all.

Actually now you've dredged up one of my most suppressed memories.

Around the 4th/5th class age, as well as periods, I developed boobage.

Now, I'm the oldest of ten, and my parents were strict Orthodox Catholics to put it mildly :D

So, said boobage develops, and is being ignored by one and all.

Until, one day I arrive home from school at lunchtime (in my school you went home unless you lived in the sticks at lunchtime) and my mother points at a Penny's bag on top of the fridge and says "I've bought you something nouggatti"

Cue me being thrilled, and in front of all of my siblings (four at the time), plus father, up I bound excitedly, grabbing said bag and taking out the contents.................................................

.............It was my first bra :eek: Oh the horror at that young age of being in such a situation. I hurriedly shoved said undergarment into the now ripped bag, resumed eating my lunch, and when asked by my mother (in her caring way) if I'd like to try it on, muttered something about going back to school.

Other girls went girly shopping with their mothers, like in the Judy Bloom books, and out to dinner to celebrate, my 10/11 year old self was mortified at lunchtime in front of father and siblings:mad:

Might actually be a good thread "how did you get your first bra" if it's not been done already :D

God I can feel the horror still :mad:

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭Twee.

Ah this thread is excellent. I went to an all girls' school and we used to have the best laugh talking about this kind of stuff. I remember my mate bursting into tears because someone said they forget to get her a Galaxy in the canteen. They were joking and felt pretty bad :o Handed it over to an angry girl!

Actually now you've dredged up one of my most suppressed memories.

Around the 4th/5th class age, as well as periods, I developed boobage.

Now, I'm the oldest of ten, and my parents were strict Orthodox Catholics to put it mildly :D

So, said boobage develops, and is being ignored by one and all.

Until, one day I arrive home from school at lunchtime (in my school you went home unless you lived in the sticks at lunchtime) and my mother points at a Penny's bag on top of the fridge and says "I've bought you something nouggatti"

Cue me being thrilled, and in front of all of my siblings (four at the time), plus father, up I bound excitedly, grabbing said bag and taking out the contents.................................................

.............It was my first bra :eek: Oh the horror at that young age of being in such a situation. I hurriedly shoved said undergarment into the now ripped bag, resumed eating my lunch, and when asked by my mother (in her caring way) if I'd like to try it on, muttered something about going back to school.

Other girls went girly shopping with their mothers, like in the Judy Bloom books, and out to dinner to celebrate, my 10/11 year old self was mortified at lunchtime in front of father and siblings:mad:

Might actually be a good thread "how did you get your first bra" if it's not been done already :D

God I can feel the horror still :mad:

PMSL. The things our mothers put us through! Having read Judy Bloom and the best of her books in my 12 year old opinion, I sat my mother down and told her it was high time she bought me a bra. I had hardly anything going on on my chest at the time (little did I realise things wouldn't ever change much for me there ever:D) but I was confident that I should start wearing one. The next day she produced one of my older sisters for me to wear...........she was 17 and took a 32 C, now I'm 31 and still couldn't fill it.

PMSL. The things our mothers put us through! Having read Judy Bloom and the best of her books in my 12 year old opinion, I sat my mother down and told her it was high time she bought me a bra. I had hardly anything going on on my chest at the time (little did I realise things wouldn't ever change much for me there ever:D) but I was confident that I should start wearing one. The next day she produced one of my older sisters for me to wear...........she was 17 and took a 32 C, now I'm 31 and still couldn't fill it.

Ah see therein lies the end of my humiliating tale :eek:

Aged 10/11 (it's the repression thing, but it was fourth class, (ah I've worked it out, I was ten /cries) the paltry 32 A /AA was too small :eek:

Cue a trip to Shaws (Almost Nationwide) to be fitted properly by a very old lady with no empathy.

Damn you boards! 25 years that memory has been happily suppressed!! It was however a sign of things to come, in those 25 years since I've invested a not insignifant amount of time into making sure the boobage is properly and comfortably supported, it's been almost unending trial and error, apart from a few trusty brands :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

Well my daugther is 9 this year and the average age for first period is 9 to 11.
    Her shape has started to alter a little so the clock has started.
    I do hope to spare her as many blushes as possible.

Thaedydal wrote: »
    Well my daugther is 9 this year and the average age for first period is 9 to 11.

Best of luck to you :)

I hope it's an enriching and positive experience for you both, and brings you closer together.

Edit: In all fairness to my mother, it was awkward for her given her background and I wasn't the most feminine child :D

Ah see therein lies the end of my humiliating tale :eek:

Aged 10/11 (it's the repression thing, but it was fourth class, (ah I've worked it out, I was ten /cries) the paltry 32 A /AA was too small :eek:

Cue a trip to Shaws (Almost Nationwide) to be fitted properly by a very old lady with no empathy.

Damn you boards! 25 years that memory has been happily suppressed!! It was however a sign of things to come, in those 25 years since I've invested a not insignifant amount of time into making sure the boobage is properly and comfortably supported, it's been almost unending trial and error, apart from a few trusty brands :D

LOL good ol' Shaws (Almost Nationwide). When my mother finally copped on the her poor daughter was never in a million years going to fill her second hand bra she relented and brought me to Dunnes. They didn't provide any kind of measuring service then or for that matter have changing rooms, imagine my mortification as she threw me behind a rail of clothes, yanked up my jumper and produced a measuring tape, the same one she had used in the wallpaper shop earlier that afternoon, to measure me up. Her verdict was "hmm thats unfortunate".

Thaedydal wrote: »

I think a few blushes are inevitable, its what puberty is all about after all isn't it? But fair play to you for thinking ahead and wanting to spare them. I remember my little sister was only 9 when her period started. My mother had told her all about the facts of life (well getting periods and breasts) thankfully but it was a Saturday morning and I was having a lie on upstairs (I was 17) and all of a sudden this deranged child threw herself at me. She was so upset and convinced that she was going to have to deal with this until she was really old, 18 or something!:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 200 ✭✭Neverwhere

i was far too emabarassed to tell my mother when i got my period. I went into school and asked my teacher for a pad, and she embarassed me even more. (i was in 6th class) She got all excited and asked lots of questions and made such a big deal of it. lol

i ended up buying my own pads.

ive only had one encounter with a tampon years ago, and it put me off them forever.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,324 ✭✭✭Oh The Humanity

Neverwhere wrote: »
    i was far too emabarassed to tell my mother when i got my period. I went into school and asked my teacher for a pad, and she embarassed me even more. (i was in 6th class) She got all excited and asked lots of questions and made such a big deal of it. lol

i ended up buying my own pads.

ive only had one encounter with a tampon years ago, and it put me off them forever.

Thanks I was starting to feel like the only tampon hating 'freak' reading this! ;)

I got mine in PE at school, aged 13, knicker shorts, say no more. Went home for lunch, told me Ma, mattress style pad dispensed, back to school morto in Gymslip fully convinced everyone knew!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,064 ✭✭✭smileysurfer

aoibhebree wrote: »
    I got a call off my (quite baffled) mother this evening. My services were requested immediately, as my fourteen-year-old sister "Niamh" (an absolute drama queen) has been invited to a date to the swimming pool with the boy of her dreams, but her legs were hairy and it was her time of the month.

First, I had to go through the whole waxing thing with her. By "go through", I mean "do it for her". YUCK!!! For a fourteen-year-old, she is very very very very hairy. That was fun.

Then, the whole tampon thing. I talked her through it, even doing a "dry run" with her (i.e. outside jeans.) I then stayed in the bathroom with her and talked her through it (with my back to her!) She eventually got the job done, after much coaxing, and collapsed in her bedroom five minutes later (OMFG!! OMFG Aoibhe, that TSS thing, I've got it, I'm all sick all dizzy, it's so painful, ring an ambulance quick!!!) She tried for about an hour to convince me to pull it out for her (I'm a good big sister but not THAT good) before eventually I managed to talk her into taking it out herself. She has decided they are the instrument of the devil, and she is (so she says) never going to use them again.

Then we were sitting down with my mam to watch TV. Jane Eyre came on. Niamh said, "Never heard of this, what is it?" Mam: "It's a period drama, you should watch it." Niamh: "WHAT???? I've had enough feckin period dramas for one night!!!" *runs from room*

I thought it was quite amusing. My own periods were never that dramatic (basically I got it, told no-one not even my own mother, bought my own tampons with babysitting money, that was it.) Just wondering whether anyone out there has any other amusing/interesting stories :D

You waxed your 14 year old sisters legs?
    And when she supposidly passed out after you told her how to use a tampon you would not pull on the cord to take it out???
    Seriously suspect story! :eek:

Advertisement