Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

iPhone data tethering?

• 21-02-2009 4:34am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,680 ✭✭✭

I want to use the 1gb data from my iphone allowance on my laptop.
    Can I...
    a/ Jailbreak iphone and use some app for tethering
    b/ Buy a 3g modem and put my iphone sim into modem

Are any of these possible?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,216 ✭✭✭cojomo2

yep you can do both..re the data modem, make sure its unlocked or that its locked to the network you use,

re tethering...jailbreak and then install pda net app, you get a 2 week free trial or something, works perfect..

• Registered Users Posts: 27 Stream

cojomo2 wrote: »
    yep you can do both..re the data modem, make sure its unlocked or that its locked to the network you use,

re tethering...jailbreak and then install pda net app, you get a 2 week free trial or something, works perfect..

how fast is the internet connection on the laptop when using the iphone? is it possible to draw a comparison against lets say eircom home broadband 3gb?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 909 ✭✭✭mobius42

It varies greatly by area. I usually get EDGE at about 25 kB/s and 3G around 200kB/s and I think that's pretty good considering how bad it can be. EDGE is about 5 times dial-up and 3G works out around to be around the same as a 2 meg connection in terms of speed. The latency is way higher though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,680 ✭✭✭Skyuser

I jailbreaked the iPhone and installed the PDAnet app. The phone is basically then an O2 3G Modem. Speeds are similar to an eircom 2Mb line.

• Registered Users Posts: 734 ✭✭✭CivilEx

Skyuser wrote: »
    I jailbreaked the iPhone and installed the PDAnet app. The phone is basically then an O2 3G Modem. Speeds are similar to an eircom 2Mb line.

Download the "speedtest" app by OKLA from the App store and let us know what sort of speeds you are getting both on the iPhone on O2 and when tethered using www.speedtest.net

I have been using PDAnet for a about 6 weeks and it's very stable / works well with Vodafone

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,680 ✭✭✭Skyuser

iPhone 3G Tethering :417733136.png

iPhone 3G Speed Test :photo.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 734 ✭✭✭CivilEx

Vodafone's isp.vodafone.ie APN that they offer for the iPhone is throttled to much lower speeds than O2 offer. The maximum download/upload from Vodafone is 384/58 kbs. I have checked this at multiple locations throughout the country and it consistent at these speeds tested using speedtest.

• Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭igor420

x

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement