Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

iPhone 3g - Switch from Bill to PAYG

• 21-02-2009 4:53am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,629 ✭✭✭

Hi everyone,

I'm thinking of switching from Bill to O2 PAYG on my iPhone 3g. I was just wondering what the data charges are like on PAYG?

Any advice would be appreciated!

Thanks,

iRock

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,611 ✭✭✭✭Sam Vimes

on vodafone, meteor and o2 there is a plan for 99c per day up to 50mb. You pay 2c per kb up to 99c and then go back to 2c per kb after 50mb. The cut off point is 12am.

On Vodafone you also have the option of paying 19c per mb through a different access point (different settings in the phone). Unless you're a very heavy user (ie more than 5mb per day) it's probably better because it would work out cheaper and on the access point that costs 99c per day some things don't work (only applies to vodafone). It's also quite difficult to enter the settings for it on an iphone, it involves editing a file calle proxy.pac i think.
    Their 99c per day plan works anywhere in the world where they have a gprs roaming agreement

On 3 you can either pay 49c per mb or buy an add on for 1gb for e9.99 a month. This add on will work in most countries that have 3 networks, i think the list is uk, italy, denmark, austria, australia, sweden. They have more networks but i think they're the only ones where the payg add on works

So there ya go :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,629 ✭✭✭NullZer0

Sam Vimes wrote: »
    on vodafone, meteor and o2 there is a plan for 99c per day up to 50mb. You pay 2c per kb up to 99c and then go back to 2c per kb after 50mb. The cut off point is 12am.

On Vodafone you also have the option of paying 19c per mb through a different access point (different settings in the phone). Unless you're a very heavy user (ie more than 5mb per day) it's probably better because it would work out cheaper and on the access point that costs 99c per day some things don't work (only applies to vodafone). It's also quite difficult to enter the settings for it on an iphone, it involves editing a file calle proxy.pac i think.
    Their 99c per day plan works anywhere in the world where they have a gprs roaming agreement

On 3 you can either pay 49c per mb or buy an add on for 1gb for e9.99 a month. This add on will work in most countries that have 3 networks, i think the list is uk, italy, denmark, austria, australia, sweden. They have more networks but i think they're the only ones where the payg add on works

So there ya go :)

Thanks for the advice... so if I switch to O2 PAYG I pay only 99c a day - so I'm allowed 50mb per day is that what you mean?

Sorry for the confusion!

iRock wrote: »
    Thanks for the advice... so if I switch to O2 PAYG I pay only 99c a day - so I'm allowed 50mb per day is that what you mean?

Sorry for the confusion!

yes that's right. but remember that if you use it at 23:59 and then again at 00:01 you'll pay €1.98

and if you use less than 50kb a day you pay less than 99c

Sam Vimes wrote: »
    yes that's right. but remember that if you use it at 23:59 and then again at 00:01 you'll pay €1.98

and if you use less than 50kb a day you pay less than 99c

Thanks for that. Think I'm going to try O2 PAYG first, looks like the best option comparing it to vodafone etc.

oops!... one more question:

I have jailbroken my iPhone on 2.2.1 .

My understanding is that there is no soft unlock for 2.2.1 at the moment so I would be limited to an O2 PAYG sim anyway.

I can't find anything regarding the 2.2.1 unlock after googling for a big and I just wanted someone to confirm?

Cheers,

iRock

• Advertisement

Okay, I did it!

On O2 now PAYG and seems to be fine so far.
    I've also ordered a dual sim holder - want to give that a go :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,826 ✭✭✭godskitchen

Okay, I did it!

On O2 now PAYG and seems to be fine so far.

Do you have a link where you are getting it from?

remember that a dual sim holder doesn't unlock the phone so if the phone is locked both sims in the dual sim holder will have to be o2

• Registered Users Posts: 2,246 ✭✭✭rc28

Vodafone sent me a text advertising a 19c per MB (although their website says Mb) for unlocked iphones. Is this actually good value? I remember they used to charge 3c per KB which was insane. For instance, how many web pages would 1 MB load?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,826 ✭✭✭godskitchen

rc28 wrote: »
    Vodafone sent me a text advertising a 19c per MB (although their website says Mb) for unlocked iphones. Is this actually good value? I remember they used to charge 3c per KB which was insane. For instance, how many web pages would 1 MB load?

Google

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 734 ✭✭✭CivilEx

rc28 wrote: »
    Vodafone sent me a text advertising a 19c per MB (although their website says Mb) for unlocked iphones.

The people at Vodafone don't understand the subtlety of your point when advertising and the confusion it causes. Their 1GB (you get 1000 MB) ISP add on is advertised as 1Gb which is obviously different in terms of the amount of data you get. Similarly whomever in Vodafone is sending the text to you is correct in using the MB term rather than Mb on the website.

When discussing this sort of stuff with Vodafone, even if they use the letter "b" consider that they actually meant "B" :D

Interesting though that they are now catering for iPhone prepay owners. I wonder would they consider an iPhone as a "supported" handset?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,246 ✭✭✭rc28

Google

I love the part where you were so helpful and actually bothered to write a post for me. Thx xxx

Advertisement