Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What makes a great record store?

Options
2»

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭Twee.

I'd love to live near, or even work, in a place like Empire Records (the film) Dream!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,599 ✭✭✭✭ShawnRaven

Twee. wrote: »
    I'd love to live near, or even work, in a place like Empire Records (the film) Dream!

Pffft, c'mooon, you want High Fidelity! :D

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭Twee.

ShawnRaven wrote: »
    Pffft, c'mooon, you want High Fidelity! :D

I didn't even think of that one! Now I'm confused :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 12,135 ✭✭✭✭John

Empire > High Fidelity

Tower Records on Wicklow St. is a great store when it comes to stocking a bit of everything (and usually a good selection when it comes to everything) and then the likes of Road Records, Sound Cellar, City Discs, Spin Dizzy, etc. fill in the gaps. I spend a lot of time record shopping online and in shops and between the two modes of shopping I feel I've got everything covered.

As for what makes a good record store, yes it is good selection but also consistant pricing (HMV seem to roll a dice to determine prices). I don't mind paying more than online in small shops because:
    a) I have the album in my hands
    b) it hasn't been damaged in the post
    c) it can be cheaper when factoring in postage costs for vinyl
    d) the folks who work in a lot of the small stores are lovely people
    e) it's good for the economy

Road is great because they always make time for you, they can get what you want and generally are competitively priced. They tend to focus on new releases rather than an extensive catalogue which is perfect for me. Plus they give me chocolate while I'm browsing.

On the other hand, HMV and Zavvi are not record stores. They are DVD shops that also sell music and games. The selection is laughable (10 copies of the same album at €24.99 is not a good selection) and aside from those bulk buy offers, I don't think they're cheap enough on anything but chart material to make me want to shop there. Plus asking for information is a serious no-no as the kids employed in them know nothing (they are the slightly cooler friends of the kids who work in Woodies and Homebase). I'm not expecting them to be familiar with the back catalogue of Jandek or Throbbing Gristle but when they have to ask someone else about popular music, I worry!

• Registered Users Posts: 255 ✭✭paddyb125

Organization is key, most of the time HMV are pretty good for it but Zhivago are useless!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭thebigcheese22

By Zivago you mean Zavvi? :confused: Use the past tense dude! ;)

Also speaking of fukced record stores, Golden Discs are dying!!! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 255 ✭✭paddyb125

No I mean Zhivago

• Registered Users Posts: 12,135 ✭✭✭✭John

Zhivago is the big independent music shop in Galway.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭thebigcheese22

John wrote: »

*Goes back into cave for being an ignorant Corkonian* :o

• Registered Users Posts: 10,599 ✭✭✭✭ShawnRaven

John wrote: »

They had one in Waterford too until a couple of years ago when it closed down, It used to be upstairs from the book centre.

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 8,322 ✭✭✭Scubadevils

Concerto, Amsterdam. That for me is a great record store. They cover a huge range of genres and tend to carry labels I can normally only find online. They have a great 2nd hand section for both CD's and vinyl and I love how the various sections are split into different rooms all around the building... to include creaky wooden floors, steep staircase to the basement and racks upon racks of CD and vinyl. Any of the staff I have spoken to are generally very helpful and into their music. I can spend hours in that shop, absolutely love it.

For anyone ever in Amsterdam, be sure to drop in :pac:

www.concerto.nl

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,493 ✭✭✭DazMarz

There's a Virgin Megastore on the Champs Elysees that is absolutely amazing... Pricey, but if you're looking for anything, and I mean anything, they should have it.

And a lot of people have slammed Golden Discs... I agree on most charges except for one hero of a bloke who worked in the Bray, Co. Wicklow branch. He was such a nice guy. I think his name was Peter and he had a moustache. He was a bit older than most staff there and was really friendly and helpful. I remember I tried to order stuff from there once, from another gaman, and he said ''Oh, no. It's out of print.'' Chanced my arm ordering it from Peter a few days later... three days after I had the CD in my hands. He was a legend. Dunno if he's still working there, but he was such a revelation when compared to most of the staff.

Advertisement