Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Wexford Half marathon

• 21-02-2009 11:33am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,545 ✭✭✭

Anybody running this bad boy? I signed up for it last night and it said on the website that theres only 250 places left. Either its really popular or theyre not taking that many people. Anybody know what the story is there?
    What time you shooting for? Im gonna try do it 1:15 or better......

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,535 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

I was going to do it in 1:15, but then realized that I wouldn't be getting much return for my 48 euro, so instead I'm going to run much slower and try and beat 1:30. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,441 ✭✭✭Slogger Jogger

Fair play Tunguska if 1:15 is a credible half marathon target. Would that be good enough for a top 10 finish do you think? I don't think I'm able to run this... too much happening that month. If I was running it I'd be doing well to beat my PB of 1:26

• Registered Users Posts: 738 ✭✭✭eoin ryan

Hi All,

The capacity is 1,000 for 2009.
    We have over 800 entries at this stage. Can't say how many exactly over as currently not able to log into Active Europe.

Cheers

Eoin
    PS - 1.15 would be a sweet time....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭RoyMcC

Entered. Don't hang around for me guys, you'll be showered and on your way home by the time I finish :(:)

• Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭smcgui

RoyMcC wrote: »
    Entered. Don't hang around for me guys, you'll be showered and on your way home by the time I finish :(:)

Don't worry you won't be the last one in! This is my first half marathon so I will be well behind you! Once I finish in one piece I'll be happy!:D

• Advertisement

By the way, any chance there are any other newbies out there like me who are doing the Wexford Half? I'd love to hear how another beginner is getting on.

Ah sugar I've registered to run the Armagh 10k on the same date :pac: what a dope. It's gotta be Wexford I suppose given the greater monetary investment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,545 ✭✭✭tunguska

Fair play Tunguska if 1:15 is a credible half marathon target. Would that be good enough for a top 10 finish do you think? I don't think I'm able to run this... too much happening that month. If I was running it I'd be doing well to beat my PB of 1:26

Shame you cant make that one man. Half marathons are hard to come by.
    I dont know if id get top 10 with a 1:15, depends on the number of people racing and of course the quality of the field. Ive only done one other 1/2 marathon and that was last september in the phoenix park. Did a 1:26 that day but I only took up running shortly before that and Ive come a fair ways since then in terms of my fitness. Im aiming for 1:15, whether or not I get that is another thing. But I'll give it everything I have anyway. Got a good race plan for the day plus one of the lads in my running club will be racing that day and he's going for a 1:15(having already run a 1:15 half marathon)so I'll be pacing myself off him. Like I said I might not get what im after but then again I could be successful. He who dares wins and all that.....

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

This will be my first half marathon, so I dont know what my time will be. I got to go under 2 hours, :p based on my 10k time (48mins) but after that I just got to turn up and see what I can do.

Good luck to all the other entrants for this one, see yiz on the day. Ill probably be behind you. Sweating. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 golfmaster

Hi folks I'm one of the poor sods who believed ye when ye said it wouldn't fill up! baah humbug. so much for listening to the "informed opinion". well anyway I'm desperate to run this baby, I have talked to Eoin ryan and he has me on a drop out list but what I'm looking for here is somebody to tell me they are dropping out here on boards.(somebody who wouldn't necessarily inform the race organisers). Obviously the more people I can tell the organisers about (dropping out) the bigger a chance I have of getting into the race proper. So come on people do the honourable thing pleeeeeease.

• Advertisement

golfmaster wrote: »
    Hi folks I'm one of the poor sods who believed ye when ye said it wouldn't fill up! baah humbug. so much for listening to the "informed opinion". well anyway I'm desperate to run this baby, I have talked to Eoin ryan and he has me on a drop out list but what I'm looking for here is somebody to tell me they are dropping out here on boards.(somebody who wouldn't necessarily inform the race organisers). Obviously the more people I can tell the organisers about (dropping out) the bigger a chance I have of getting into the race proper. So come on people do the honourable thing pleeeeeease.

The 'informed opinion' on this thread indicated that places were limited...

There is a slight question mark hanging over whether or not I'll be able to do it. I won't know until the start of April. If I do have to pull out I'll post up here so you know...fingers crossed I won't have to pull out though!!

Thanks for the reply SMGUI I certainly hope you are able to compete as well. I'm really aiming my request at people who might not have been committed to the training fully or who for other personal reasons cannot take part , and who wouldn't normally inform the race organisers.As a slow but enthusiastic runner myself I hate to hear of people having to withdraw because of injury after putting so much effort into training.I had a slight injury myself early in the year and that delayed me from entering. Happy running.

Thanks golfmaster, I'll keep you updated!

Thats a horrible feeling when you try to enter a race only to find that entry has closed! Happened to me last year at the tri-athy. Was a beautiful day and everything for that race last year so I was rightly gutted. And not to rub salt into your wound golfmaster but I reckon this is gonna be a top race in wexford. Hopefully somebody will drop out......which sounds like not a very nice thing to say.
    My mate is doing it but I havent spoken to him in a few weeks so I dont know if he's still good to go. I'll ask him and get back to you.

thanks Tunguska I appreciate your reply. I won't give up hope until all avenues are explored. happy running

Sorry Golfmaster but my mate is running the wexford race after all. I dont know anybody else doing this race so Im afraid im of no help to you.
    Hope somehting comes up for you I mean it is still 4 weeks away, you never know...........

No worries TUNGUSKA, thanks for your time anyway, I'll keep exploring my options. happy running

Hi again Golfmaster, I've good news for you and bad news for me. Looks like I have to pull out of the half marathon. So I'm happy to pass my number to you if I can. I can email Eoin the details and see what he says? Maybe pm me your name etc?

Hi fellas

Dats cool - drop me a line.

If there is anyone else that is interested in taking part pls send me an email. eoinryan1@hotmail.com A few charity spots have been freed up.
    I'll reply on a first come - first served basis. Thats the fairest thing I thinks.

The good news is the committee are already paving the way for a bigger race next year..... We have a good show in store :D
    I really hope the rain stays away!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,492 ✭✭✭Woddle

I won't be running it myself but I will be around in Wexford so I'll be sure to take the camera with me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,378 ✭✭✭asimonov

Does anyone know if it's a hilly route. I'm presuming that as it starts and finishes at sea-level there's little or no net gain or loss, but what happens inbetween?? Don't suppose anyone wants to go and run it with a garmin first?

thank you so much for your efforts folks . already sorted. if you're looking for me on the day i'll be running beside the penguin at the back of the pack. happy running

Does anyone know if it's a hilly route. I'm presuming that as it starts and finishes at sea-level there's little or no net gain or loss, but what happens inbetween?? Don't suppose anyone wants to go and run it with a garmin first?

Ans - Its a funny one. I wouldn't describe it as hilly and i wouldn't describe it as flat. So its 'flat-ulating'.... new word maybe

There is one hill at km 5 that has a bit of a pinch at the top. The others are gradual. Then there are a lot of long flat pieces.

The guy who measured the course described it as flat...

Still a few places available (as per previous post) if ppl want to enter. Contact me at eoinryan1@hotmail.com

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 629 ✭✭✭Clum

eoin ryan wrote: »
    I wouldn't describe it as hilly and i wouldn't describe it as flat. So its 'flat-ulating'.... new word maybe

Could also mean it's windy...or subject to strong gusts....

I think the hill you mean is sinnottstown? Its a bit nasty in one spot, but only for a short bit.

Im nervously anticipating this... My first, so Ill be setting a benchmark time.

The good news is the committee are already paving the way for a bigger race next year..... We have a good show in store

Thats great, Cheers Eoin. I'm looking forward to this big time. The 10km races are decent enough but theres nothing like a good 13miler to really test yourself and see where you stand.

Yep - it is Sinnotts Town. That section of road will be closed to traffic btw.... The pinch only lasts about 100 metres

Bear in mind its close to a water station - so you have something to aim for. That will help cool your engines.... :o

eoin ryan wrote: »
    Yep - it is Sinnotts Town. That section of road will be closed to traffic btw.... The pinch only lasts about 100 metres

Bear in mind its close to a water station - so you have something to aim for. That will help cool your engines.... :o
    Hi Eoin, where are the water-stations? Is there more than one? Is it cups or bottles? Anything else supplied? Thanks..

• Advertisement

Hi Eoin, where are the water-stations? Is there more than one? Is it cups or bottles? Anything else supplied? Thanks..

4 water stations. Water supplied by H2Only in cups
    1st @ 6.5km
    2nd @ 10.5km
    3rd @ 12.8km
    4th @ 16.5km

Thanks Eoin. Sounds plentiful.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,102 ✭✭✭mathie

Hi Eoin
    Im pm'ed and mailed you.
    Let me know if there's a spare place still going.
    Thanks
    M

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,029 ✭✭✭Pisco Sour

Hi all,

Could somebody who knows the exact route of this race upload it onto www.mapmyrun.com so that we can see the elevation profile of the race. Would be nice to be prepared and know when to expect hills etc.

Thanks a mill

Its shown on this thread.

Hi Mathie, my place is still up for grabs if you (or anyone else) wants it

• Advertisement
Advertisement