Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Calvin Harris - I'm Not Alone

• 21-02-2009 12:56pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,815 ✭✭✭

Am I the only one who thinks this song is gonna go massive in a month or two's time.

Calvin Harris - I'm Not Alone

Great anthem.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭Da Bounca

Yah nice track. Anthem is the word for it alright.

Big fan of Calvin Harris. Favourite track of his at the moment is This is the industry

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 426 ✭✭Fintomiginto

load of cack if you ask me

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 359 ✭✭t0mm

Unreal tune! Can't wait for the next album, out sometime this year!!

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

I really really liked "I created Disco" album - quite poppy but really nice and uplifiting. "Vegas" was my favourite tune, such a savage bassline.

That tune is ok, might grow on me or I'd say there will be some nice remixes of it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,674 ✭✭✭Teutorix

"I created disco" is one of the best electronica albums of the last few years imo. Fav track was probably Vegas or acceptable in the 80's

nice track not too impressed to behonest

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 668 ✭✭✭FLYNN-DOG

Teutorix wrote: »
    "I created disco" is one of the best electronica albums of the last few years imo. Fav track was probably Vegas or acceptable in the 80's

nice track not too impressed to behonest

Seriously?!

FLYNN-DOG wrote: »
    Seriously?!
    Which part?

I wasnt that struck by the song really. ill have another listen and see.

Edit: its actually growing on me

Teutorix wrote:
    Edit: its actually growing on me

That's what makes an anthem an anthem baby, the more you hear it, the more you love it! It really has that happy fuzzy feel about it, like summer time and nostalgia.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,943 ✭✭✭✭ShaneU

LOVE IT

I created disco was brilliant, great album to listen to in the gym

t0mm wrote: »
    That's what makes an anthem an anthem baby, the more you hear it, the more you love it! It really has that happy fuzzy feel about it, like summer time and nostalgia.
    I aint yo baby holmes! and it aint summer time yet.

• Advertisement

Teutorix wrote:
    I aint yo baby holmes! and it aint summer time yet.

It will be by the time that's in the clubs:P

• Registered Users Posts: 1,313 ✭✭✭fabbydabby

Is it me or does that sound really dated? Like Ibiza '99 or summit?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,531 ✭✭✭jonny68

Cheesy rubbish:confused:

Calvin Harris? Anthem?

Hmmmm, let me just take that in first before I listen to it.

To me, it's kinda a bit like saying 'no seriously, the Vengaboys had this one great tune you gotta hear'

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

Calvin Harris is hardy a fair comparison to the Vengaboys...

I just rate tham as novelty acts. That acceptable in the 80s song makes me want to eat a light bulb or stick a fork in my knee. Saw him in Edinburgh at the New Years Eve party, wouldn't rush back to see him.

He made the entire album in his bedroom by himself - I have respect for that. If you are not into his music then fair enough, but its not trying to be something else - its a very good album for what it is.

Acceptable in the 80's is a very catchy tune - it was bound to go really commercial cause that is what it is. I though the idea behind the "I created Disco" track was good but i did not like it so much myself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,401 ✭✭✭jtsuited

i feel the same way about calvin harris as I do about people like Tiesto. I wouldn't listen to their music in a billion years but overall they have a very positive impact on all dance music.

They bring in a crowd who may get into dance music in a bigger way and end up being slightly embarassed about how they got into it.
    hands up how many people honestly started listening to dance music through dodgy hard house, trance or even feckin scooter? come on be honest.

Now I'm not too familiar with much of Harris's stuff but what I've heard so far hasn't been all that bad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,672 ✭✭✭seannash

(raises hand)
    happy hardcore was my introduction to dance music,then trance.also prodigy but i think thats pretty much a given for most people.

seannash wrote: »
    (raises hand)
    happy hardcore was my introduction to dance music

I don't think I'll ever be able to take you seriously again lol :p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,672 ✭✭✭seannash

Zascar wrote: »
    I don't think I'll ever be able to take you seriously again lol :p

its a dark dark past im trying desperately to forget:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 668 ✭✭✭FLYNN-DOG

jtsuited wrote: »
    i feel the same way about calvin harris as I do about people like Tiesto. I wouldn't listen to their music in a billion years but overall they have a very positive impact on all dance music.

They bring in a crowd who may get into dance music in a bigger way and end up being slightly embarassed about how they got into it.
    hands up how many people honestly started listening to dance music through dodgy hard house, trance or even feckin scooter? come on be honest.

Now I'm not too familiar with much of Harris's stuff but what I've heard so far hasn't been all that bad.

Yeah, scooter, prodigy for me. Then i saw the video for "hey boy hey girl" - knew that **** would piss my folks off no end!

ya see i think nearly everyone has a fairly (read completely) embarassing entry into any type of music.
    personally i was lucky getting into dance music (although i admit i own a good few truly awful electrohouse compilations!!), but my first ever 'rock concert' i ever went to as a kid was Bon friggin Jovi (I was 11 and it was amazing - there i said it!).

Hahahaha I have to admit I was a fan of Lisa Lashes in my early days - but lets keep that a secret...

Most people's introduction to dance music was something crap - but I'm not sure too sure I agree with jtsuited with the comparison to Tiesto. I don't think Calvin Harris is trying to be a superstfrom nothing and people really liked his album and he shot to stardom very quickly. Not a million miles away from Mylo really. Give his album a listen - it has some really nice tunes. Most of them are quote vocally so he's not trying to compete with the producers most of us would respect etc - he is far more commercial aiming for a wider audience. But as jeff said if it broadens the minds of the masses than its a good thing.

The funny thing about Calvin Harris is that I had never heard of him until I was watching some DJ interviews on beatportal - he seemed pretty down to earth and so i went and got his album. I really liked it and i was telling a few mates who i thought might like it - and all of them already knew him well! I never listen to the radio but apparently he was all over the place before I'd ever heard of him!

my first ever 'rock concert' i ever went to as a kid was Bon friggin Jovi (I was 11 and it was amazing - there i said it!).
    Ahahahaha classic Jeff I think I was at the same one myself! When i was about 14 or so the first concert i went to was Brian Adams, followed by Bon Jovi the next year!

Ahh to be young and foolish lol

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,539 ✭✭✭ghostdancer

appalling song.

i'm sure it'll be big in the "play Akon songs on my mobile down the back of the bus" and "ye i luv d nu Rihanna nd Kiser Chfs song!!!!!11 lol" demographics.

Zascar wrote: »
    Hahahaha I have to admit I was a fan of Lisa Lashes in my early days - but lets keep that a secret...

Most people's introduction to dance music was something crap - but I'm not sure too sure I agree with jtsuited with the comparison to Tiesto.

Oh yeah should clarify, i didn't compare tiesto to calvin harris. I just said I felt the same way about him (obviously we're talking a world of difference here in their actual music etc.), in the way that it's not what I'm into but I'm glad he's doing what he's doing because it brings a lot of people into dance music who otherwise wouldn't.

In fact I know of one girl who went to see calvin harris at a certain festival a while back and since then her interest in dance music has grown and grown.

So while it's not my cup of tea it's highly accessible music (and not at all comparable to tiesto!).

appalling song.

i'm sure it'll be big in the "play Akon songs on my mobile down the back of the bus" and "ye i luv d nu Rihanna nd Kiser Chfs song!!!!!11 lol" demographics.
    I hate those people, the ones with the worst taste in every single genre of music, just listening to the same thing as their mates.

Example of bad effects. Low - flo rider! WTF was that ****e?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭shane86

Pretty nice tune, be a grower Id say.

Schooter :D Until I was about 16 Scooter was 100% the only dance I listened to, at least I was partly right in that the rest of the dance the average 15 year old had access to in 2001 was even worse than Scooter :)

If I may dare say it the Tiesto derision seems to be a big thing mainly in Ireland because of (IMO) the, eh, types he attracts :) Im not 110% crazy into his brand of trance but it aint bad and Id like to get a gig in over the next year (abroad and away from the knifemen of the Tivoli of course :) )

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 37 phreneticus

i'm with you on that one!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37 phreneticus

Calvin Harris? Anthem?

Hmmmm, let me just take that in first before I listen to it.

To me, it's kinda a bit like saying 'no seriously, the Vengaboys had this one great tune you gotta hear'
    everyone knocks the venga boys but you just try and tell me you wouldn't go mad like some 14 year old knackertash on bangers if you saw em at a festival, they may be ****, they may be unbearably cheesy and one of em may even be a tranny (always had my suspicions about that not-black girl....) but by jaysus they're part of your childhood! They're cool for the same reasons as Captain Planet!

• Registered Users Posts: 954 ✭✭✭Yo Mamma

everyone knocks the venga boys but you just try and tell me you wouldn't go mad like some 14 year old knackertash on bangers if you saw em at a festival

I have to disagree my good man, 'The Venga Boys' are and always have been utterly rubbish !! U would have to be on the 'wonkies' to even think that they were in any way good at all ...... and they would have to be AMAZING wonkies too lol

As for the Whole Calvin Harris thing I dont think he is all that great I mean he had that one track that was played everywhere morning noon and night but that track to me signaled the crossover point from Underground Electro to Pop Cheese..

But then I am a music Snob so I am pretty biased lol ;)

:pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,943 ✭✭✭✭ShaneU

The Vengaboys clearly paved the way for the likes of Calvin Harris :D

Woah we're going to Ibiza!

The Venga boys are pop. They are also rubbish. We know this because only 8 year olds like them.

Calvin Harris may be Electro-House-Pop. He is not rubbish. We know this because people old enough to have a pint while at a gig like him. True he may not be as "hardcore" as a lot of other acts. Yes it is fair enough to call him main stream.

But Calvin Harris sat by himself in his bedroom and made "I Created Disco". It is people with the level of passion for music that he has that keep music alive and amazing. The Vegna Boy travel around touring the same one album they released 8 years ago. Calvin Harris spends his time making new music, not to make money, but because he enjoys it. To compare the two, even in style, is madness.

they're part of your childhood!

Not mine! I was in my mid 20s when they were out, and well able to discern the good from the utter crap. When I started hitting the discos as a teenager, I was lucky in that 808 State and Inner City and MARRS and co. were starting to make an impression. Though on the other hand, I did have to get through the Stock Aiken and Waterman years.

• Advertisement
Advertisement