Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

SU Elections. Will you Vote

Options
  • 21-02-2009 1:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10,246 ✭✭✭✭

Hey guys. Next week is the big election push. Will you guys be voting? Why will you vote and what are the issues that affect you on campus. Im not involved in this election stuff but Im just interested to see how many students are.

Will you be voting? 34 votes

Yes
    0%
    No
    100%
    Frank GrimesRiamfadaRed AlertRaphaelsimply_deelemon_sherbertBreezerpanda100Eire05delta_bravomuffinmanChakardajaffaclickclickgubbieprincess-sprkleremus808Tá Mé GaeilgeAlso Starring LeVar BurtonPride Fighter 34 votes

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,134 ✭✭✭gubbie

No
    Ex-union hackery.

I couldn't really care who gets in this year. Shan't be using the services again! Whoever promises to get more free time for graduates in the new student centre's gym gets my vote

• Closed Accounts Posts: 154 ✭✭redcar

Call me naive for not knowing, but who is running?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,009 ✭✭✭✭bnt

I hope there's no disruption of lectures, as there was last year. In my opinion, the lecture theatres should be off-limits to campaigning. You might think you have a captive audience, so that makes it a good place to campaign, but I doubt it gets anyone any votes: quite the opposite, I think.

Death has this much to be said for it:
    You don’t have to get out of bed for it.
    Wherever you happen to be
    They bring it to you—free.

— Kingsley Amis

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

bnt wrote: »
    I hope there's no disruption of lectures, as there was last year. In my opinion, the lecture theatres should be off-limits to campaigning. You might think you have a captive audience, so that makes it a good place to campaign, but I doubt it gets anyone any votes: quite the opposite, I think.
    tbh that's the only way I'd give any notice to who is running

I won't be voting as I do not care who gets elected. I don't think they'll make much of a difference to my life between now and May.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Dave! wrote: »
    I won't be voting as I do not care who gets elected. I don't think they'll make much of a difference to my life between now and May.
    +1

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,880 ✭✭✭Raphael

No
    I'll be sticking by my usual policy of voting for people who make reasonable, small, achievable promises. That way they might have a slim chance of keeping them

• Registered Users Posts: 716 ✭✭✭lemon_sherbert

No
    Meh, I suppose I'll probably vote, if I'm in college that day. I know a couple of people running.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,456 ✭✭✭Jev/N

No
    I'll vote because I've always been involved in helping out on campaign teams since 1st year.... also I know that every vote counts as one of my friends lost out on the Ents Officer position by 4 votes on like the 5th recount when he had originally won by about 30!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,296 ✭✭✭RandolphEsq

I'll vote so I can get the sticker which allows me to walk passed the polling stations without being harassed. Actually I could just get the sticker without voting!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,355 ✭✭✭dyl10

I'll vote in this, but I won't vote in the election;)

• Advertisement
  • Hosted Moderators Posts: 7,486 ✭✭✭Red Alert

No
    Raphael wrote: »
    I'll be sticking by my usual policy of voting for people who make reasonable, small, achievable promises. That way they might have a slim chance of keeping them

I'll be doing the same... the number of ridiculous undoable promises I've seen in my years here would make you wonder about some of the candidate's sanity.

And no, they won't start selling cans a la the Pav so don't vote for anyone who says they will.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 109 ✭✭me2gud4u

wel i'ml definitely voting for Hanratty for SU president. The guy is incredibly committed in everything he does and his manifesto is very achievable too. Also has a brain too which can't be said for some of those candidates running..........

Don't really care about those ENTS etc. officers....social climbers if ya ask me and that irritates me big time.

No
    me2gud4u wrote: »
    wel i'ml definitely voting for Hanratty for SU president. The guy is incredibly committed in everything he does and his manifesto is very achievable too. Also has a brain too which can't be said for some of those candidates running..........

Don't really care about those ENTS etc. officers....social climbers if ya ask me and that irritates me big time.

Ents officer is practically the only one that matters! You take away all the sabbatical positions and I bet the ents one would be noticed first

Can we do a whole saying if you've got any bias in these elections again? I'm ex-hackery but am independent as far as these elections are concerned

• Registered Users Posts: 5,729 ✭✭✭Pride Fighter

No
    I might vote for the Bond guy, he seems good.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 338 ✭✭33% God

No
    me2gud4u wrote: »

I'll be voting for him too.

I have no bias or anything, I'm not involved in the union in any real way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,880 ✭✭✭Raphael

No
    gubbie wrote: »
    Ents officer is practically the only one that matters! You take away all the sabbatical positions and I bet the ents one would be noticed first

Can we do a whole saying if you've got any bias in these elections again? I'm ex-hackery but am independent as far as these elections are concerned

Was just thinking that myself, seems my faith in humanity will have to get set aside.

*sigh*

• Registered Users Posts: 10,246 ✭✭✭✭Riamfada

No
    Im leaving college in about 8 weeks so I couldnt care who wins these elections save for the sake of whats best for the Union's future. Plus im chairing the debates in Th L the night before polling day so I should probably declare that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭dajaffa

No
    I'll be voting, I'm one of those hack types who tries to make you all vote too!

Unfortionately the candidates who make realistic promises that they could actually achieve don't tend to do well. I ran myself last year but generally running an honest campaign where you say what you'll actually do simply doesn't motivate enough people to go out and vote for you. It may well be different this year as people are more interested with fees etc on the agenda, but we'll see.

In the interests of honesty I'm on team Dani (aka Scraggs) for welfare, the only candidate to have been a boardsie poster of the year!

No
    Seems like Arts Soc is a big churner outer of candidates. How many co-founders can one society have?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,452 ✭✭✭Time Magazine

Red Alert wrote: »
    And no, they won't start selling cans a la the Pav so don't vote for anyone who says they will.
    UCD: copying someplace else since 250 years after that place was founded.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 720 ✭✭✭1968

I'll be voting for the only decent anti-fees candidates:

Julian Brophy (President)
    Ciaran Fitzgerald (Campaigns & Communications)
    Ben McCormack (Education)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

Is there pro-fees candidates...?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 127 ✭✭mad lad

here are some of the campaign facebooks that I found. If anyone else has the rest, post them up.

Redmond

Bond
    Brophy
    Hanratty

Fitzer
    Ryan

Pender
    Ahearn

McCormack

Ward

No
    mad lad wrote: »
    here are some of the campaign facebooks that I found. If anyone else has the rest, post them up.

Redmond

Bond
    Brophy
    Hanratty

Fitzer
    Ryan

Pender
    Ahearn

McCormack

Ward

Donnacha

Mike-Pat
    James Morrissey

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭simply_dee

• Registered Users Posts: 4,567 ✭✭✭delta_bravo

No
    Dave! wrote: »
    Is there pro-fees candidates...?

Yes, allow me to introduce myself: Rt. Hon. Reginald Oswald Arlington-Maxwell

My main aims:

Immediate re-introduction of fees for all students

New Era Programme to be abolished

Introduction of a uniform for all students (choice of gown or blazer)

Lifetime ban of events involving: Republic of Loose, Saw Doctors, The Coronas, The Blizzards and The Wolfe Tones.

The student bar will only play baroque chamber music and brandy shall be the sole drink of the students.

Also, Pulse Security to be delegated full powers of search and arrest of students

I expect your vote

• Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Lifetime ban of events involving: Republic of Loose, Saw Doctors, The Coronas, The Blizzards and The Wolfe Tones.
    /votes

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 7,486 ✭✭✭Red Alert

No
    gubbie wrote: »
    Seems like Arts Soc is a big churner outer of candidates. How many co-founders can one society have?

Arts Soc is essentially the melting pot of the various Arts wannabees, principally the non-happening fashion show. For some reason the student advisers seem to be all over it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭jimi_t

Red Alert wrote: »
    Arts Soc is essentially the melting pot of the various Arts wannabees, principally the non-happening fashion show

Well I really dunno how they could have been blamed for the fashion show seeing as the society itself is barely going a year and a half and the show itself is not their remit - in fairness they're doing an admirable job event wise with such a tiny budget, even if it does mean that they've made some faustian deal with XXI and the ilk.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 625 ✭✭✭princess-sprkle

No

:pac: god yes, consider my vote in the bag!

Advertisement