Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Texting an advert to a site

• 21-02-2009 2:05pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 99 ✭✭

I wonder if anyone can help with with this. :confused:

I am seting up a website for someone I know. It is an Agriculture advertising site where people upload classified ads.

He has had a brainwave and asked if it possible for a system to be setup where someone can text or email their details for the advert and the money will be taken from their Credit Card as the system will relate the mobile number to the account where the credit card details are?

Are we allowed to keep people's account information like that if the site is secure??

Any help of where I can get this kind of system if possible is appreciated.

thanks.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,777 ✭✭✭✭The Corinthian

chikuu wrote: »
    He has had a brainwave and asked if it possible for a system to be setup where someone can text or email their details for the advert and the money will be taken from their Credit Card as the system will relate the mobile number to the account where the credit card details are?
    You would need to either connect directly to a live SIM (using a GSM modem) or to a service that will take incoming SMS on your behalf. The latter is the easiest on a technical level (as you need middleware for the former), but you will get charged, probably in the regions of a grand p.a. A decent GSM modem will cost you a few hundred Euro, but after that you will need to get the messages off the modem, either using a third party product or some socket programming.

The first thing you need to do is actually understand what you want to do - your idea regards SMS, but you mention emails too, so either you're not explaining yourself, or you've not thought things through.
    Are we allowed to keep people's account information like that if the site is secure??
    Depends upon the merchant account and what it allows you to do and what it considers secure. There are express guidelines as to how you can take credit card details, and if you don't follow them, you will at best be facing the danger of charge backs, and at worst lose your merchant status.

Advertisement