Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Iphone 3g - yellowsn0w confusion

• 21-02-2009 2:26pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,186 ✭✭✭

Ok got myself an iphone 3g last week.
    I'm still a newbie on this subject so bear with me.
    I was thinking of unlocking it to use on vodafone.

Browsing through the forum to find instructions and whatever that I can gather, eventually it lead me to Iclarified.com for tutorial and blog.iphone-dev.org (refer to yellowsn0w)

On the Iclarified.com site there is a tutorial (http://iclarified.com/entry/index.php?enid=2538)

Quote from Iclarified.com: "Before you can follow these instructions you must have a jailbroken iPhone and you must be on the 02.28.00 baseband(modem firmware). This means that you must be running the 2.2 firmware or have used PwnageTool(NOT QUICKPWN) to install 2.2.1 without upgrading the baseband. "

Quote from Iphone Dev Team site: GOLDEN RULE: If you have a 3G iPhone running 2.2 firmware and you want to keep your ability to use yellowns0w (or the option to use it in the future) do NOT use QuickPwn, and do not use the official ipsw or the iTunes update process without using PwnageTool.

At the moment it is not jailbroken yet.
    Baseband is 02.11.07, so that's ok.
    Firmware is 2.1 (5F136), so no problem there.

It says to use Pwnage tool and NOT Quickpwn.
    From my understanding, isn't Pwnage tool the one for Mac only?
    While Quickpwn is for windows.
    I'm on XP which kinda contradict that sentence from the quote.

As the heading suggests, I'm a little confuse about what to use.
    Maybe someone can straight me out.

also how do I create a restore point for future use (i.e. make ipsw like the state it was in when it was bought in the shop)? I noticed that there's a restore option in itunes.
    Is that where I can create ipsw or will I need one of the jailbreak software to do the deed.

Sorry for the long post, any help appreciated. Thanks in advance

West Dublin, ☀️ 7.83kWp ⚡5.66 kWp South West, ⚡2.18 kWp North East

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,176 ✭✭✭vinnycoyne

I think you need to manually upgrade to 2.2 first (download the 2.2 firmware for iPhone 3G from iClarified, then shift-click the update option in iTunes).

You'll then have firmware 2.2 and baseband 02.28.00 (which can be unlocked using yellowsn0w.

Then run the Windows version of QuickPwn on your 2.2 iPhone 3G to jailbreak & install Cydia.

In Cydia download and install yellowsn0w to perform the unlock.

Under no circumstances should you update to 2.2.1 in iTunes!

I don't have a 3G myself, so it might be worth waiting for a 3G yellowsn0w user to confirm this.

Edit: To answer your question about restoring, hitting the restore button in iTunes will set it back to factory default (as if it were brand new). But you do not want to do this if you want to unlock - it will put an unlockable version of the baseband on your iPhone. To restore back, you'll have to shift-click and then browse to the 2.2 firmware file you can download from iClarified.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,186 ✭✭✭lau1247

I think you need to manually upgrade to 2.2 first (download the 2.2 firmware for iPhone 3G from iClarified, then shift-click the update option in iTunes).

I think i'm starting to get the grasp of things now bit by bit.

So therefore in order to unlock I need to download custom firmware version 2.2 with baseband 02.28.00 from Iclarified. That clears up the need to use Pwnage tool as Pwnage tool (Mac only, I'm on Windows) is used to create firmware 2.2.1 but with baseband remaining at 02.28.00, correct?

Next step is to load that custom firmware. By shift-click, I assume that I should just load itunes and when it has detected the iphone, where it says "update", I should hold "shift" and click on "update"? Will this allow me to browse the PC to find the custom firmware manually?

After that is done, Quickpwn will more or less take care of the rest

Can any 3G yellowsn0w user confirm this..
    I don't want to chance messing up anything that will potentially brick the phone

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 738 ✭✭✭CivilEx

As a 3G user I can confirm that once your phone is on firmware 2.2 and baseband 2.28.00 you can unlock with yellowsn0w directly from cydia.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 767 ✭✭✭rai555

Under no circumstances should you update to 2.2.1 in iTunes!

Edit: To answer your question about restoring, hitting the restore button in iTunes will set it back to factory default (as if it were brand new). But you do not want to do this if you want to unlock - it will put an unlockable version of the baseband on your iPhone. To restore back, you'll have to shift-click and then browse to the 2.2 firmware file you can download from iClarified.[/QUOTE]

Looks like i can't jailbreak my iPhone as the first thing after activating in iTunes i updated firmware to 2.2.1 or it's possible using MacOs ?

Looks confusing for me

rai555 wrote: »
    Looks like i can't jailbreak my iPhone as the first thing after activating in iTunes i updated firmware to 2.2.1 or it's possible using MacOs ?

Looks confusing for me

when i activate my phone, it ask if i want to auto update, i just uncheck so if any update comes i have to do it manually..

From what i found: http://www.iclarified.com/entry/index.php?enid=1881

You should be able to jailbreak 2.2.1 with Quickpwn but not unlock..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,176 ✭✭✭vinnycoyne

lau1247 wrote: »
    So therefore in order to unlock I need to download custom firmware version 2.2 with baseband 02.28.00 from Iclarified. That clears up the need to use Pwnage tool as Pwnage tool (Mac only, I'm on Windows) is used to create firmware 2.2.1 but with baseband remaining at 02.28.00, correct?

The 2.2 from iClarified is standard (not custom) firmware, but it is the one you should use. You are correct about PwnageTool being used to create 2.2.1 with the 2.2 baseband.

Next step is to load that custom firmware. By shift-click, I assume that I should just load itunes and when it has detected the iphone, where it says "update", I should hold "shift" and click on "update"? Will this allow me to browse the PC to find the custom firmware manually?

Hold the Shift key and click on Update. A box will pop up allowing you to browse to the 2.2 firmware file you downloaded from iClarified. Select it and iTunes will update your iPhone to 2.2.

You can then run QuickPwn on your 2.2 iPhone to jailbreak it. Run Cydia and have a search for yellowsn0w (if not found, you'll have to add the source to Cydia - see http://blog.iphone-dev.org/post/67797811/dont-eat-yellowsn0w).

Hope that helps!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 767 ✭✭✭rai555

when i activate my phone, it ask if i want to auto update, i just uncheck so if any update comes i have to do it manually..

From what i found: http://www.iclarified.com/entry/index.php?enid=1881

You should be able to jailbreak 2.2.1 with Quickpwn but not unlock..

Yes it did the job

yep I've done the deed yesterday..
    It's relatively quick and handy..

Thanks to all who gave feedback..
    I really appreciated it

Advertisement