Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mom or Not

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

Could all the non-moms here stfu?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

That goes for you too stovelid. Heh... a "dad"... :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 364 ✭✭templetonpeck

Dudess wrote: »
    paranoid and presumptuous much?

me? not at all...just don't see the point in passing the thread around the whole forum, except for to cause as much antagonism as possible.

Our different interpretations on the opening and subsequent posts are plain to see. I don't feel the need to go around in circles about it.

I have seen nothing as bad in this thread as the 'immac' post. The OP certainly didn't deserve that, or in fact to be told by another moderator that she is not entitled to give feedback because she hasn't been here as long as others.

The OP made a point about the forum, maybe she should have contacted a moderator in person, but some of the responses she's got are way over the top. Move on and get over yourselves.

I have seen nothing as bad in this thread as the 'immac' post.

Either you know the OP or you're just being disingenuous. The OP was far ruder and more presumptuous than the Immac comment, which was obviously just a joke.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,263 ✭✭✭Varkov

me? not at all...just don't see the point in passing the thread around the whole forum, except for to cause as much antagonism as possible.

Our different interpretations on the opening and subsequent posts are plain to see. I don't feel the need to go around in circles about it.

I have seen nothing as bad in this thread as the 'immac' post. The OP certainly didn't deserve that, or in fact to be told by another moderator that she is not entitled to give feedback because she hasn't been here as long as others.

The OP made a point about the forum, maybe she should have contacted a moderator in person, but some of the responses she's got are way over the top. Move on and get over yourselves.

Don't pay too much attention to one or two very condescending posters here who fancy themselves as big wigs and try their damndest to suck up to the "regular posters" by using smug smilies and picking apart any posters that others are hopping on.

I agree with you, whats the point of anything being raised in feedback if the poster is just ridiculed and insulted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,015 ✭✭✭Ludo

stovelid wrote: »
    Either you know the OP or you're just being disingenuous. The OP was far ruder and more presumptuous than the Immac comment, which was obviously just a joke.

Gotta agree with templetonpeck here. Nothing really OTT in the OP as it currently stands. The immac comment was a very bad attempt at humour.
    Don't see what people are getting so hot and bothered about to be honest.

Disclaimer: I do NOT know the OP and am NOT being disingenuous. Not everyone is going to agree with you stovelid yet you seem to think if they do then they know the op or are being "disingenuous".

• Administrators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,920 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Toots

The OP was far ruder and more presumptuous than the Immac comment, which was obviously just a joke.

Yeah, but it was in very poor taste.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

Feedback belongs in the feedback forum.

The mods were willing to leave the thread in the parenting forum until she called our impartiality into question saying we could not mod a thread about a forum which we mod, and the feedback forum was created for when such things happen.

That is why it was moved here.

The parenting forum and it's community are part of a larger collective and there for the parenting forum is not exclusive to parents and indeed that very premise is counter to the ethos of the forum from when it was created.

There are plenty of other exclusive closed parenting forums and communities out there and we never wanted that here.

Ok then I gather that this will be your last post in this thread then.

Actually I would have been with in my rights as a mod of the parenting forum
    to infract or ban G&T for calling another poster a cow as it is personal abuse
    but due to her already being hostile and calling into question our impartiality
    I moved the thread to the feedback forum.
    The OP certainly didn't deserve that, or in fact to be told by another moderator that she is not entitled to give feedback because she hasn't been here as long as others.

Stark is not a moderator in this forum he is a poster.
    I am not a moderator on this forum I am a poster.
    Mods are only mods in forums which they mod.

The mods of this forum are:
    Beruthiel, Gordon, seamus, Ruu, sceptre, regi, DeVore, Cloud .

IF you have issue with Starks post report it.

It was the manner in which she did it insulting other posters and back seat modding which is the problem. I could have in fracted and banned her for those reasons alone based on her first post but I figured that she didn't understand the forum and how it is set up but any attempts to explain this to her and indeed you seems to fall on deaf ears.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

I don't disagree with you here but to what extent we should clamp down on stuff is an open question. Anyone coming on and telling the non-parents to go to AH is going to ruffle feathers and provoke a reaction even if they did not mean to. You reap what you sow to a large extent online.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

Love the title too - what about dads?
    Everybody knows there are no men on the internet.

• Advertisement

I don't know the OP, don't think I've ever posted with her before in my life. I just couldn't and still can't understand the overreaction to her post, but now I'm getting it. It's not what she said it's how she said it? :rolleyes: :D

Some posters are finding her opening post offensive, yet a post about her niece is acceptable. Some posters find it a disgrace she tell people where to post, yet others in here are telling her she's not entitled to give feedback because she's not here long enough?

Thaedydal, it will be my final post on the matter when I am done with it.

Thaedydal wrote: »
    Feedback belongs in the feedback forum.
    I could have in fracted and banned her for those reasons alone based on her first post but I figured that she didn't understand the forum and how it is set up but any attempts to explain this to her and indeed you seems to fall on deaf ears.

seems to me if you found the opening post so offensive you could have locked it there and then, that would have been an end to it.

That is not the reason why it was moved here - the way people assume Boards.ie is "out to get" them is phenomenal. I mean, the fact they think they're that important... bizarre.
    The opening post itself is a "feedback" one so this actually seems to be its natural home.
    That was not a dig at the child, it was a dig at the mis-spelling - how is that not obvious? The "hair" bit was the part picked up on.
    The OP certainly didn't deserve... to be told by another moderator that she is not entitled to give feedback because she hasn't been here as long as others.
    I'm presuming that was a joke - a swipe at all the members who make that assumption all the time.
    Varkov wrote: »
    Don't pay too much attention to one or two very condescending posters here who fancy themselves as big wigs and try their damndest to suck up to the "regular posters" by using smug smilies and picking apart any posters that others are hopping on.
    Varkov sweetie, I think you'll find the emoticon in my sig is a ;) not a :rolleyes:... ;)
    I agree with you, whats the point of anything being raised in feedback if the poster is just ridiculed and insulted.
    Rich coming from a troll (no, that's not an unfounded accusation) who makes it their business to insult people, but I generally agree with that - I hate when people get ganged up on in Feedback and all the sycophancy that can go on here. What's being forgotten here though is just how agressive and ignorant the OP's post was. I mean, really... read it again.
    Ludo wrote: »
    Not everyone is going to agree with you stovelid yet you seem to think if they do then they know the op or are being "disingenuous".
    How is one person (whom stovelid speculated was being disingenuous) "they"?
    I don't know the OP, don't think I've ever posted with her before in my life. I just couldn't and still can't understand the overreaction to her post
    Probably because you agree with her.
    It's not what she said it's how she said it? :rolleyes: :D
    Yeah, fair point no? She could have phrased it in a non rude manner.
    Some posters are finding her opening post offensive, yet a post about her niece is acceptable.
    No it isn't. Don't pretend not to see the criticisms of it. And again, it wasn't the child being joked about (definitely her niece?) it was the mis-spelling.
    Some posters find it a disgrace she tell people where to post
    Oh you think it's ok she tell people where to post do you?
    yet others in here are telling her she's not entitled to give feedback because she's not here long enough?
    That was someone just taking the piss - the only people who say that usually are disgruntled members who make the allegation that that's an unwritten rule here - "you can't say what you want unless you've a high postcount" bla bla whinge whinge...

G&T wrote: »
    And debate is being allowed to turn into attack.
    "Debate"? When has a whingeing, "me me me" rant/attack on other posters ever been been a debate?

Dudess, your reply is nothing but a clear nonsensical rant.

Perhaps you need to take a break from the thread for a while.

Dudess, your reply is nothing but a clear nonsensical rant.
    "Clear nonsensical" - oxymoronic no? And it's not a nonsensical rant just because it's in disagreement you... I'm sure you'd find it very coherent if I agreed with you. ;)

/Points Dudess to Naughty Step*

*Parental discipline metaphor for the non-moms disobedient enough to be still reading.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,890 ✭✭✭embee

The thread was moved from one of the parenting sub forums to feedback.
    It was allowed stand in the main forum until G&T questioned the impartiality of the mods.
    She has not to my knowledge reported any post she has had this issue with what so ever.

No she didn't report it. She'd rather tell other posters to GTFO of the Parenting forum where they're seemingly, from her point of view, not welcome. LOL, then the majority of people (us Mods included) disagree with her viewpoint so the Mods aren't impartial.

Damned if we do and damned if we don't, it would appear.
    nesf wrote: »
    I assume we're not impartial because we disagree with G&T.

Seems like it!!!
    spread the thread around the forum as much as you like to get as many peeps in on it as possible, the overreaction to what the OP said is ridiculous.

As some one else said, I can't believe people take the internet so seriously. People are looking waaaaay to much into what she said and jumping on the bandwagon for the sake of a good old argument. The OP has already said she's leaving the thread, so the point on carrying it on is lost on me.

As Thaed has already pointed out, twice, this was moved to Feedback as G&T questioned the impartiality of the Mods of the Parenting forum. Do you think that us Parenting Mods (mods of a relatively small sub-forum of boards) are so bored and looking for some sort of attention that we'd deliberately leave ourselves open to having fire rained down on us in the grand hall of Feedback?

She called someone a "cow". No one "deserves" that either.
    Move on and get over yourselves.

If I were you, I would take my own sage advice on that one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

seems to me if you found the opening post so offensive you could have locked it there and then, that would have been an end to it.

Because she seemed annoyed enough to post and had a misconception about the ethos of the forum so I posted in the thread as soon as I saw it but left it open for her to reply and to see if others felt there had been too much unhelpful
    posts by non parents in the forum.

We do welcome feedback, it helps the community to grow and if non parents
    having a go is an issue then it's one I and I am sure my other parenting mods
    want to know about it.

We do out best but we can't always be online and reading every post, posters have to help by using the reported post function and making us aware of issues in a constructive manner.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22 Trevpuss

Holy cow:D

• Advertisement

"Clear nonsensical" - oxymoronic no? And it's not a nonsensical rant just because it's in disagreement you... I'm sure you'd find it very coherent if I agreed with you. ;)

Not at all Dudess, I am well up for discussions, if people disagree with me, fair enough, if people rant at me with no basis to their argument, just disagreement for the sake of it, that's a whole other ball game.

embee wrote: »
    She called someone a "cow". No one "deserves" that either.

If I were you, I would take my own sage advice on that one.

no, no-one does deserve that.

I'm replying to posts that are directed at me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 tupp

Have I just joined a bloodbath.. :pac:

May I respectfully (or not) suggest that some of you remove the sticks from your arses and chill?

What kind of a trashfest is this place? :eek:

Because she seemed annoyed enough to post and had a misconception about the ethos of the forum so I posted in the thread as soon as I saw it but left it open for her to reply and to see if others felt there had been too much unhelpful
    posts by non parents in the forum.

We do welcome feedback, it helps the community to grow and if non parents
    having a go is an issue then it's one I and I am sure my other parenting mods
    want to know about it.

We do out best but we can't always be online and reading every post, posters have to help by using the reported post function and making us aware of issues in a constructive manner.

That's fair enough Thaedydal, unlike others who are arguing with me in here at least I can admit when i am corrected on something. Explanations, do not fall on deaf ears, as I was accused of earlier.

But read through this thread again and then tell me if your 'we do welcome feedback' remark is evident from the posts on here.

Hark! The Coincidental First-Post Contributors Sing. :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,914 ✭✭✭✭tbh

Thanks for the feedback op, I think we can credit most posters to make up their own mind about the credentials of posters who offer advice.

If I told you to put sugar in your petrol tank, and you knew I wasn't a mechanic, would you do it? Probably not, right? So why would you assume other posters would? So when you are feeling frustrated about people who've never had a screaming child wake them at 2am suggesting that you need to get more sleep (or whatever), just use that little rolleyes smiley in your mind and offer it up as payment for when you do get some advice you might be able to use from someone who doesn't have kids.

Like, for example, the best thing to do with a child who is throwing a hissy fit is just to remain as calm as you can and let them blow themselves out. They'll probably feel embarrassed enough about it later. Right?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 tupp

Hark! The Coincidental First-Post Contributors Sing. :pac:

Is this how you treat all newbies. They come onto a forum wanting salient advice about childbirth, surgical stockings and piles and you jump on them?

Is it not bad enough that the first thread I read is a forum bear bait and your first impression is one of telling people to stfu!

Shame on you..!

tbh wrote: »
    Like, for example, the best thing to do with a child who is throwing a hissy fit is just to remain as calm as you can and let them blow themselves out. They'll probably feel embarrassed enough about it later. Right?

I usually just confiscate their Special Brew:confused:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 15,914 ✭✭✭✭tbh

That's fair enough Thaedydal, unlike others who are arguing with me in here at least I can admit when i am corrected on something. Explanations, do not fall on deaf ears, as I was accused of earlier.

But read through this thread again and then tell me if your 'we do welcome feedback' remark is evident from the posts on here.

mate, with respect, it's pretty clear that for the majority of the posters in this thread, it's got nothing to do with what the OP actually said, it's about defending reputations. I can understand why the parenting mods are doing it, I don't get why any of the rest of you are doing it.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement