Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mom or Not

Options
124»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Veggie b

stovelid wrote: »
    Hark! The Coincidental First-Post Contributors Sing. :pac:

Haha
    Nothing coincidental about it.
    This thread is receiving a lot of attention as it is being cited in cyber space as a lesson in how NOT to moderate a forum.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,890 ✭✭✭embee

no, no-one does deserve that.

I'm replying to posts that are directed at me.

You're replying to posts that are directed at you. There is a bigger picture though, and the fact that you agree with G&T or think that there was some sort of over-reaction does not take away from the fact that the majority of regulars to the Parenting forum were offended by G&T.

So it has been established that she thinks non-parents shouldn't post in Parenting. It has also been established that most of the replies she got were not in agreement with her. It has been established that you think there was an over-reaction.

Whether or not you agree with her or not is, IMO, immaterial at this stage. This issue has been moved to Feedback because she questioned the impartiality of the Mods. The burden of whatever sort of "proof" she has of this impartiality or otherwise lies with G&T, who, rather helpfully, has accused the mods of impartiality and then decided to add nothing more to the discussion.

Had it stayed in Parenting, it could have been argued until the cows came home whether or not non-parents should post there. But now it's in Feedback, so I'll ask you directly - do you think that the Mods in Parenting were/are impartial in this instance, or even in a more general sense?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22 Trevpuss

embee wrote: »
    You're replying to posts that are directed at you. There is a bigger picture though, and the fact that you agree with G&T or think that there was some sort of over-reaction does not take away from the fact that the majority of regulars to the Parenting forum were offended by G&T.

So it has been established that she thinks non-parents shouldn't post in Parenting. It has also been established that most of the replies she got were not in agreement with her. It has been established that you think there was an over-reaction.

Whether or not you agree with her or not is, IMO, immaterial at this stage. This issue has been moved to Feedback because she questioned the impartiality of the Mods. The burden of whatever sort of "proof" she has of this impartiality or otherwise lies with G&T, who, rather helpfully, has accused the mods of impartiality and then decided to add nothing more to the discussion.

Had it stayed in Parenting, it could have been argued until the cows came home whether or not non-parents should post there. But now it's in Feedback, so I'll ask you directly - do you think that the Mods in Parenting were/are impartial in this instance, or even in a more general sense?

This is way cool.

Do you have a DIY brain surgery section cos I feel the need to give some advice.

I don't know the first thing about it, natch, but I'll have a damn good guess :p

• Administrators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,920 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Toots

Trevpuss wrote: »
    Holy cow:D

*facepalm*
    Anyone coming on and telling the non-parents to go to AH is going to ruffle feathers and provoke a reaction even if they did not mean to. You reap what you sow to a large extent online.

Absolutely. The OP was probably voicing a genuine concern of course, but it's meaning was lost in what was a very rude and inconsiderate post.
    Excuse me. Could you leave the feedback to posters with longer tenure than you?
    While this is probably meant as a joke (?), there is some merit to it. I'm not sure how long the parenting forum has been up and running for, but for someone to suddenly arrive into what is (IMO) a very well run forum and start whinging "you're doing it wroooonnnnggggg!!!!" is a bit much! I mean if the OP had been a long standing regular contributor or maybe even a moderator to the forum and had reached her conclusion after viewing many threads and noticing a pattern of bad advice emerging from non parents then maybe there'd be more cause to consider what she was suggesting (so very politely :rolleyes:). I'm aware the OP has children, so I know she has experience of rearing children, but so far she has not mentioned what experience she has organising and moderating an online forum.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 364 ✭✭templetonpeck

tbh wrote: »
    mate, with respect, it's pretty clear that for the majority of the posters in this thread, it's got nothing to do with what the OP actually said, it's about defending reputations. I can understand why the parenting mods are doing it, I don't get why any of the rest of you are doing it.

It's all about what the OP said? That's what the whole thread has been about, people who have taken offence to it, and people who can't understand why offence was taken?

As to why I'm posting in the thread, I'm doing it because people are replying to my posts?:confused:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 22 Trevpuss

Toots85 wrote: »
    *facepalm*

Is that like Facebook? :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

That's fair enough Thaedydal, unlike others who are arguing with me in here at least I can admit when i am corrected on something. Explanations, do not fall on deaf ears, as I was accused of earlier.

Thank you.
    But read through this thread again and then tell me if your 'we do welcome feedback' remark is evident from the posts on here.

I can not control or regulate the posts of anyone in here other then my own,
    If you have issue with posts in this forum report them.

Ideally I would prefer feedback about the parenting forum to be a nice civilised discussion either by pm to all the mods ( which the op chose not to do ) or a thread in the forum but due to the op declaring us as not being able to mod such a thread it had to be moved to an impartial forum which is what feedback is meant to be.

Unfortunately it is also the feedback forum for the whole site and while that may be a good thing as it makes posters see that they are part of a whole site and what is considered how things are down site wide there is the draw back of the types of disruptive posters who like nothing more then to shít stir in this forum and use any thread to have a go at the site and how it is structured.

I request that anyone who is posting here to derail this thread or push their own agendas that they stop, please.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

tupp wrote: »
    Is it not bad enough that the first thread I read is a forum bear bait and your first impression is one of telling people to stfu!

Shame on you..!

You're saying this now, but wait and see. You come in as as the workplace cavalry for your mate, but you get hooked and the next thing you know, you're making tasteless jokes, and STFU'ing to beat the band, yourself.

I've seen it happen.

Is this how you treat all newbies. They come onto a forum wanting salient advice about childbirth, surgical stockings and piles and you jump on them?

Is it not bad enough that the first thread I read is a forum bear bait and your first impression is one of telling people to stfu!

Shame on you..!

tupp whom are you addressing with your post above ?

• Registered Users Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

Trevpuss wrote: »
    May I respectfully (or not) suggest that some of you remove the sticks from your arses and chill?

Indeed.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5 tupp

can I just get this straight for future posting reference...

you can not voice an opinion on this forum unless a) you have a requisite number of posts (that number to be decided by members of this forum), and b) it toes a party line..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 364 ✭✭templetonpeck

embee wrote: »

omg *suddenly feels under oath* :D

No I don't think the mods have been impartial. My understanding was that moderators were meant to be objective, if that's wrong in this forum, fair enough.

It's a thread that has gone way out of control now and serves no purpose to the forums whatsoever, in my opinion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 tupp

Thaedydal wrote: »
    tupp whom are you addressing with your post above ?

the person I quoted and deemed it necessary to round on a newbie.. and from all accounts is a rather obdurate poster..

• Registered Users Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

No I don't think the mods have been impartial. My understanding was that moderators were meant to be objective, if that's wrong in this forum, fair enough.

Objective and impartial are pretty much the same thing for all intents and purposes when it comes to moderation. You can't be objective if you're biased etc.
    It's a thread that has gone way out of control now and serves no purpose to the forums whatsoever, in my opinion.

This I wholeheartedly agree with, though I'd argue that it never really was worthwhile as a discussion given the way it was started.

Veggie b wrote: »
    Haha
    Nothing coincidental about it.
    This thread is receiving a lot of attention as it is being cited in cyber space as a lesson in how NOT to moderate a forum.

So you admit to being from another site and having signed up to have a go
    at the mods here ?
    Charming.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,330 ✭✭✭Gran Hermano

can I just get this straight for future posting reference...

you can not voice an opinion on this forum unless a) you have a requisite number of posts (that number to be decided by members of this forum), and b) it toes a party line..

Each forum has a charter, it's always good advice to read it before posting regardless of which forum you're posting in. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

As far as I can see, this was a car crash *before* it got to feedback.

So start again. G & T, if you have a specific problem with a moderator(s) decision, then please start a thread on help desk where people aren't free to offer their opinion and we can have a nice quiet (but public) chat about it.

On the other hand, if you have a suggestion or comment to make in general (about the site itself, or even just the parenting forum), please feel free to start a thread here.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement