Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stupid American gets fleeced by Moycullen man

Options
  • 21-02-2009 3:11pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 28

Hello,
    I am in US and met a very convincing grifter from Moycullen who visited here in 2004, and then came over to US in 2006. He has lived here all this time.
    He never applied for a US Visa, so he is not here legally (if he is still here).

We were each divorced after long term marriages, kids, property nasty divorces and coincidentally have the same last name.
    This man also fleeced his friend at home in Galway for 650,000USD to buy property here in US (duh, warning ya spare). BUt my dear friend told me his friend deserved it for "causing" the break up of his marriage.
    We both like farming, hunting, fishing, have hunting dogs, we not really "involved" with each other than that (been there got fried). I really considered him a dear friend, as I understand how bad it feels to lose your family through divorce. I would have done anything to help him stay here as that is what he said he wanted.

We signed a Purchase and Sale agreement for a farm here in Rhode Island (US) and he took my 37K downpayment and then he backed out of the sale. You see, he has land and money and family who will help him at home.
    Ugh...

I thought life was going to be grand and the suffering was over, but it had only just gotten started.
    I got in serious money trouble recently with the US gov't over taxes, the IRS (our federal tax robbers). I did not owe them what they took, but there was a mistake on my tax form.They took all my money from my bank account.
    My Irish pal offered to "hide" some money for me as he had somehow gotten a bank account without a US Social Security number. That Social Security number here is the governments eyes.

Then the nice man from Moycullen took my last 1200.00USD and promised us we could move over to his home there in Moycullen. That was 6 weeks ago and now he has "mysteriously" disappeared. I spoke with his dear mother and she told me he is coming home soon. I most likely will never hear from him again. He even took my moblie phone and ran it out of time and money.

Its hard being so stupid, I was an accident waiting to happen.
    Just devestated (sp?) and needed help.
    I know his family over in Moycullen, we have a few mutual friends. I have been over to his home in Moycullen, right on the Corrib half a dozen times, with my son, he loves it there too (another weakness).
    I did not think I was in trouble. But now I will most likely lose my home here and my son. I get to get killed all over again.
    So, don't be stupid. It's too late for me.:(

A real genius

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15 paulcos

hi there i feel for you,have not had time to think about this so maybe you could name and shame him although it might not bother him in the slightest.Not much help but there you go!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,815 ✭✭✭✭galwayrush

Yes, name and shame him. It probably won't get your money back, but it might stop him from taking advantage of someone again.:mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 133 ✭✭mrsweebri

very bad luck. i know someone who had a similar misfortune and she had been with her husband for nearly 8 years before she discovered what he was up to. So there are others who have been fooled. Hope you can pick yourself up and enjoy the rest of your life.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

You could perhaps open a case against him here in Ireland?
    Have you spoken to Gardai and solicitors here?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,898 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

Google Joe Duffy's Liveline programe on RTE & phone them !

• Advertisement

biko wrote: »
    You could perhaps open a case against him here in Ireland?
    Have you spoken to Gardai and solicitors here?

I would agree with that, bastard obviously has assets in Moycullen.

Surely you can pursue this in the States as a criminal matter then get him extradited. The penalties in the US would be far worse than here & the "crime" of deception occured in the USA so thie Irish police could not do anything.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28 realgem19

Fleeced one here.

I am trying to figure a way to recover partially at least, on my losses.
    I do not want to ruin anyone's life that is related to him, but I am not sure what recourse I have. It is not just the money, nor my feelings, it's that my son was drawn in too, even his own younger son, a good lad I really liked.
    Moycullen man has land and holdings in IE, but also outright owns a house here in Rhode Island (I believe, I did meet his lawyer, so I think at least that is true), but that is in a trust and his lawyer in US is one of the trustees.

The land he owns in Moycullen is very valuable, but I am quite sure I cannot do anything except appeal to the family there.
    Getting him deported from US does not help me recover anything, and he would never be able to return to US (including to co-operate to return some of my money from possible sale of house in Rhode Island (US).
    Deportation is something I think anyone fears in a strange land, although some of his sleeping partners have threatened that, I just don't go there.
    It doesnt solve anything.

*Removed*

If I wasn't in the middle of it, I wouldnt believe what a mess I've gotten myself into.
    What I cannot figure is why? He's even met my mother, went to my father's funeral with me...met many of my friends, we even went to a hunting event in Maryland. Why do all that for so small (really, in the scheme of things) a sum?

not so genius gem

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

I sympathise with your situation, but unfortunately I'm going to have to ask that you do not name this person, or present information that could identify him as this could be grounds for libel against boards.

A little late for that !

The problem is that you are to principled & will not take action on the grounds that it might hurt his family. This kindness in your nature may be what attracted him to you in the first place.

I am pretty sure that you can pursue him in the USA.

• Advertisement

Then what other recourse does a person have?
    Perhaps a newspaper article? I have proof in bank papers and a signed Purchase and sale agreement.
    Boards already contain a waiver, it is not a fact publishing device, but a forum for 'opinion". I do not understand the censorship.
    Thanks.

I am sure that if you have proof then any of the Irish tabloid newspapers would love the story. Why not google them & get in touch ?

Just been contacted by his family for a settlement. I will recover something afterall!
    Who say boards are just for gossip. I'll also get part of property here in US.
    Thanks much for ears and suggestions.
    not a genius gem

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 boldone

The grifter from Moycullen got thousands of dollars out of me also. Talked me into plunking down $4,000 on a mobile home to place on his property in Ballinahalla that he said I would have constant access to and yet never saw. Let me pay full ride for trips all over the globe while he was shacking up with a woman in Providence and god knows how many other women he was working his charms on to get their money.
    If there is one thing the man knows and knows well, it's when a woman is vulnerable and then he makes his calculated move.
    I pity his two grown daughters and teenage son who will one day be disgraced by him if they are not already and his sweet mother who couldn't have imagined she raised such a monster.
    Sorry that he took you too as I thought he was your friend.
    I will never forgive myself for my utter stupidity in falling for his lies.

Wow, thats the one.
    There are more and the Providence woman used to be a very good friend of mine (35+) years.
    The mobile's at the lake.
    Write me privately if you want, I don't have enough posts to write you.
    I'd never dream of shaking down his Mam for anything, that was a fear reply.
    I had a mild heart attack this week, all due to the stress. I'm going to lose my home and son and cannot work due to injury and health problems.
    Thanks for your post. Now I do not feel like I am nuts.

Libel is when a person makes a damaging contention that is untrue.
    There is no libel when the statement is the truth. I have evidence and testimony to prove any statement I made concerning the matter.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 boldone

I am glad that the family of the grifter is going to do right by you, but sorry for all the mental anquish he has caused you. Believe me when I say that I have gone through years of it because of him. Lost everything in my divorce because of my relationship with him and now am looking at foreclosure on the home that my son and I live in. Have sent letters to his home in Ballinahalla asking that he please send back some of the money that he took from me, but have never heard a word. Can't believe that I bought the mobile so that he could leave it behind. No doubt he's renting it out to make even more money.
    I am almost relieved to hear that he has not returned to Ireland as it is too beautiful a place for a scoundrel like that. There is no other place on earth that soothes my soul the way the Emerald Isle does and my only hope is that I will be able to afford to visit it again one day. I am sure you feel the same.
    I am sorry to hear that your health has suffered as well, but if it's any consolation to you, karma will creep up to the grifters door one day and he will experience the pain and suffering that he has caused to so many.
    I hope the simple farmer of Galway is still alive and was not wiped out by the grifter.

Small world, and no, I had another inquiry on this thread. So I posted that info. I'll never get a dime back. However, the suggestions given are this board by members are good.
    Revenge is always better served up icy cold. What a nice welcome home present that would be. A little editorial? A nice article for the tabloids.
    My son has many International online gaming friends. Some over in Dublin have had some interest in this tale. They were hoping he would be coming over and are ragin' mad he is not. ;-)) He's also a big anime fan and a sound writer (NUI in Galway was looking good to him).
    Mod, can I ask Mod a question? I cannot write to you yet as I am still under 25 :-)) I wish, least still have a sense of humour eh?
    I cannot take any replies privately, nor send them, so sorry.
    Thanks.

realgem19 wrote: »
    Just been contacted by his family for a settlement. I will recover something afterall!
    Who say boards are just for gossip. I'll also get part of property here in US.
    Thanks much for ears and suggestions.
    not a genius gem

Glad to hear it.:)

Never did receive any monetary relief for Fraud and theft of fund.
    Moycullen Matchstick man soon to return home.
    Of course, that could be a ruse. To get the Law in US to lose focus.

If you are unfortunate enough to meet up, give him a shove into the Corrib for me. Tell his pal <snip> who has cattle in Moylough to watch out! <snip> is certainly the next mark.
    MoyCullen Matchstick is smooth as silk and seems a man of means.
    A serious ladies man, many ladies.

Not a word of truth ever came out of the lot.
    Stole my dog too :mad:. A registered pure-bred Nova Scotia Duck Tolling Retriever worth a couple grand. Nice duck dog too.

If you could give me the names of some Gossip Mags seen mostly in the Galway Bay area.
    Thank you!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

I'm sorry for your troubles but boards is not the place for this.
    I've edited out information in the above post that can be used to identify involved parties.
    Please keep further discussions to PMs between yourselves.
    You could contact the Galway Advertiser newspaper and see what they have say.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement