Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

5D or 50D

• 21-02-2009 3:17pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,455 ✭✭✭

Hi all, just looking for peoples opinions. I'm planning on upgrading from my 450D in the next couple of months and I'm unsure whether the better option is a new 50D or a second hand 5D (5D mkII would be out of my range for a bit longer, though by all means tellme if I should just wait). I know the 5D gets some lovely reviews and is full frame, but then the 50D has newer processor technology with Digic IV vs digic II, a higher iso setting and goes up to 15mp (not a big deal admittedly)

Most of my photography at the moment is cityscape and landscape, but I do want to be able to do wildlife and some sports occasionally, though I'm not sure if this is enough to want the high fps.

Any thoughts from boardsies that have used these would be appreciated, as well as any pros or cons

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,067 ✭✭✭AnimalRights

I would wait for the 5D II....
    If you can't it's a tough question, not 100% on this but the 5D also lacks a decent dust removal option?
    I can see arguments for both cams, FF is just so damn sexy.
    Not often I cannot choose an option. :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭gloobag

As someone who has both a 50D and a 5D mkII, I would say go for the new 50D over the second hand 5D until you can afford the 5D mkII. You'll be able to sell the 50D for a good price and put the money towards an upgrade if and when you're ready. Plus it's a fantastic camera :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,699 ✭✭✭ThOnda

I love my second hand 5D. the image quality almost independent from ISO setting, the dynamic range, the viewfinder largeness...
    But in fairness, I am fighting a sad battle with dust. And I am not winning :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,281 ✭✭✭Ricky91t

Well the 5d would have better noise handling at night shots as it's full frame.Also because it's full frame your lens will be far wider meaning you can fit it more of the scene.THe downside is the slightly slower FPS but Thonda has posted some nice rally shots from the Rally ireland which were very good and i'm sure he can comment on how he felt the 5D handled the situation.

One problem i know about is that 5D's are becoming very rare now that the MKII has been released alot of people are buying used 5D's for lower prices and they are becoming very rare now,but i'm sure they'll pop up every once in a while

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,930 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

5D - Can't fault mine.

While the 50D may be able to go to a higher ISO, there's no way the quality at it is even close to ISO 3200 on the 5D.

As for sports, really don't see the need for a high fps if you're only doing it on and off.

I'd say if you can afford the wait (and cost) - get the mkII

• Advertisement

FPS rate is a little lower, very true. But independence from ISO setting helps alot. And FF sensor gives you shorter focal lengths and that is advantage in all sorts of photography.
    However there are more skilled and professional users of 5D that could give you their opinion on qualities of the 5D. Just wait till they come from their assigments (and pub) ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭what to do?

also not just FPS for sport wildlife - you get the extra reach with the 50D.

also some of your current lenses may or may not work with the 5d.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,455 ✭✭✭tritium

Thanks everyone. I'm not too worried about lenses since I think my sigma 10-20 would be the only one affected if I went FF. Bit concrrned about the dust thing though. Is it really that bad a problem with the 5D? It sounds like the 5d should be the better body in terms of IQ ability given the same lens setup, is this correct?

Well, it does not seem like a big isse, there are more than 11 million pixels and I am ready to complain about one dust particle on a sensor ;)

Advertisement