Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

ACHIEVEMENT POINTS????

• 21-02-2009 3:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,626 ✭✭✭shezzie

whats the point...do we not play for fun and not for points..me i play cause xbox is cool great gaming etcetc whats the point of points you know you did well when you get to a check point or save point or guess what when you get to the end of it ....... for me i have 44000 some odd points only cause we play alot of gaming call of duty too human games go on and on..

so what is the point of points???:)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 175 ✭✭Rochie IRL

I think the point of points is to make people go out and buy as many games and to keep buying them. It's a marketing thing. I've got whatever points (see below) and that's with a console from launch. I don't care about the points. I'll play a game like Call of Duty 4 or 5 or Rockband because I enjoy them, I'm not going to play games purely for points, to me it takes the fun out of it. Some people like the points thing but for me I'm not bothered. I don't care if I play the same game for months. I'll play it as long as I'm happy with it and not cos there is a new game to squeeze more points out of.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

shezzie wrote: »
    so what is the point of points???:)

In a nutshell, "Epenis ++"

Sometimes they give me an extra incentive to do something that I normally wouldn't bother with, and as such end up extending the lifespan of a game. They're pointless really, but I likes them

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,945 ✭✭✭rizzla

I look at some as extra objectives in a game, there put in by the developer and the clever ones are sometimes the way I would never consider to play a game.

They are pointless though.

• tman wrote: »
    In a nutshell, "Epenis ++"

Sometimes they give me an extra incentive to do something that I normally wouldn't bother with, and as such end up extending the lifespan of a game. They're pointless really, but I likes them
    +1 on that reason. Definatly extend the life of the game. I like being "awarded" for doing something hard.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,325 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

i have 44000 some odd points

yea, well my bird looks like this...
    auburnbabe1a.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,626 ✭✭✭shezzie

DOES SHE NOT EAT?? SORRY BOUT THAT ABIT SARCASTIC.....I TAKE IT YOU DONT HAVE MANY POINTS .... TOO DISTRACTED UNDERSTANDABLY...HOW MANY POINTS DO YA HAVE?/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

the points im not really into but do love the achievements especially difficult ones, and I have definitely gotten more out of my games because of them

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,221 ✭✭✭RobertFoster

yea, well my bird looks like this...
    Mmmm, ribs.

As for achievements, I find they can save me money. If I consider a game to be unfinished because I've not got 1000 or whatever (borderline-OCD tbh), then I'll try and finish it before getting a new game. There are a few exceptions though. If I'm really hating some aspect of the game (like GOW/GRAW multiplayer), then I don't mind taking the points hit and moving on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 255 ✭✭paddyb125

calex71 wrote: »
    the points im not really into but do love the achievements especially difficult ones, and I have definitely gotten more out of my games because of them

I agree, especially in Halo 3 and GTA, both games lasted twice as long because of achivements

paddyb125 wrote: »
    I agree, especially in Halo 3 and GTA, both games lasted twice as long because of achivements

those ****ing pigeons in GTA:IV!!!!!! one of the hardest achievements i ever worked for was fun blasting them but shakes fist at not having tracked the ones id done as i went along

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,464 ✭✭✭Kristok

The point is people enjoy getting them. Its nothing more important than having a high score in a game but an overall high score. And with high scores your into getting them or your not.

I personally find them fun to try get and it defo prolongs a game that i may have given up on earlier not that im even too into getting them only have like 5k.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,325 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

DOES SHE NOT EAT?? SORRY BOUT THAT ABIT SARCASTIC.....I TAKE IT YOU DONT HAVE MANY POINTS .... TOO DISTRACTED UNDERSTANDABLY...HOW MANY POINTS DO YA HAVE?/

I FEEDS HER ON ME MONKEY JUICE, IT'S LOW IN CALORIES : )

AND ABOUT 5000 POINTS

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,241 ✭✭✭Vic Vinegar

Points are pretty much pointless, I like getting achievements but i don't go overboard trying to get them all. I'd never play all the way through a **** game just to get them either. I've tried games that i could have got easy points on but they were just plain sh1t (Superman, i'm looking at you!)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,738 ✭✭✭djkeogh

Ah the points are pointless alright but if you are enjoying a game and have completed it the achievements can give you goals to keep you playing the game. I'm playing Mirrors Edge at the moment and love it. Now if i'd played that strictly for the single player game I'd have been finished with it ages ago. But the fact that I enjoy the game so much keeps me chugging through time trials and speed runs and improving my play at the game.

I've never played through a game just for points. If I'm not enjoying it I give up on it and move to something fun.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 512 ✭✭✭ROC1977

the whole idea of points was to pro-long the game. Most video games these days take about 6-8 hours to finish. Which isn't a lot for 60 euro. Imagine the not so distant future when no body has a job and can't afford to buy games anymore. You've finished the story mode in all your games and don't play them much anymore. With the achievements you can say well I think I'll play I don't know Guitar Hero and try and get a 1000 note streak.

Basically its for replay value. Higher gamer score does not mean your a better player. Just because a player has 100,000 gamer points doesn't mean he is amazing (they could be ) what it means is they have plenty of time on their hands. I mean in GRAW2 I think one achievement is 10,000 multiplayer games or kills or some sh1te like that. That would take weeks or months to get.

I've 110 games or so if I sat and tried to get 1000points on each I'd need to be on the dole for about 10 years lol. Then I'd have 110,000!!! And there are players with that score. They must be bums or something! lol

I play a game for a week or two. Some I play start to finish, others a few levels every once and a while. GTA being one I just do a mission every so often. I mean whats the panic to finish games anyway.

Like a few of you have said before me play for fun. My gamertag motto is this "Don't take it too serious its only a game"

I've played multiplayer matches on GOW with people who get really upset when you kill a downed enemy or get the snipper before them.

I like to laugh and have fun playing games, I a lot of the games I have the achievement I got where my 7 year old girl playing. I think she got every achievement I have for Dead or alive 4.
    She played that game over and over again just to gett new costumes to dress the girls in it up in. She loved the game not for the fighting but for playing dress up. lol
    Now she does it to my avatar when I'm not looking, dressing me up like a gimp! lol

See before and after below
    ROC+E+REDSKULL.png

ROC+E+REDSKULL.png

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,585 ✭✭✭Jerichoholic

I like achievements, they definetley stop me from trading in games. One of the cleverest inventions in gaming I would say. However I have yet to see the pointof trophies, and how they work.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,116 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

...HOW MANY POINTS DO YA HAVE?/

If point are so pointless then why do you care how many point someone else has? Or are the points not quite as pointless to you as you are trying to make out and you want the size of your 44000 point long e-penis to be admired? :D

ROC1977 wrote: »
    Higher gamer score does not mean your a better player. Just because a player has 100,000 gamer points doesn't mean he is amazing (they could be ) what it means is they have plenty of time on their hands.

sign up here my friend http://www.trueachievements.com/ boards has a leaderboard on there too :D achievements are weighted on difficulty and # of folks who have them and a few other things, maybe u can knock floppy tomatoes off the top spot

his score is 5000 where as i am at #7 with 20000 points lol

• Registered Users Posts: 1,626 ✭✭✭shezzie

to robinph

no not into points as i said whats the point....i simply mentioned my points as thats what i have and the subject is about points..not gotten the point yet???

and yeah are you jealous over the size of my e-penis...

remember play for fun not points...:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,813 ✭✭✭BaconZombie

77b6a636a049.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,065 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

I always thought it would be a great idea if you were rewarded with microsoft points when you hit certain milestones. i.e when you hit 10,000 gamer points you get 1000 microsoft points or something along those lines.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 129 ✭✭Elonex

Gives you something to do when your starting to get bored of a game tbh.

Advertisement