Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best way to clean a PC

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,378 ✭✭✭Krieg

Also have the antec 900. Unfortunately I cant place it up high off the ground (Which is a must) so it sits 3 inches off the carpet and its comparable to a Dyson.

I clean it out every 2 months by turning all the fans to max setting. This is very handy as **** loads of dust comes flying out and then I just finish off with a hoover. You can get 120mm filters to place over the fans but they would be pretty awkward to get at and they might possibly interfere with the airflow (Im not sure).

Never used compressed air but Im sure it would be v.good, especially since there are a good few little places that traps the dust and the hoover cant reach

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 18,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭Solitaire

Do you have positive pressure? So long as you already have decent airflow (it IS a 900, so probably!) and can fit some kind of filter on the intake fans then so long as you ensure there's a bit more air going into the case than leaving it the air will try to force its way out of the case at every non-airtight gap and seam and help maintain a pressure seal against dust entering through seams (for all of its benefits negative pressure attracts dust into the case especially close to the floor). This can reduce dust buildup and ensuing maintenance work in the long-term.

Biggest problem is said filters - they're designed to pick up dust in one place allowing for easy maintenance so long as you can actually access and remove them easily. Otherwise they become a pain. A good filter won't reduce airflow by much but as time goes by an unwashed filter will degrade airflow as more dirt accumulates. Therefore you need easy access so you can strip and wash them every 4-6 weeks. Some cases are built with this in mind, but the 900 isn't :( So its McGyver time :(

• Registered Users Posts: 238 ✭✭HighWire

OK thanks for that.
    This is probably completely wrong, but read somewhere that a pair of tights over the fan works so you dont have to use the clumpy hoover type filters.
    So any truth?
    The 900 is blue led on the fans so dont fancy covering with white filters.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 18,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭Solitaire

Yeah, tights are okay, but any air filter will by its nature slightly increase noise and reduce airflow :( Problem is that the 900 isn't really designed for removable dust filters in the first place - such a big faux pas that Antec had to rerelease the 900 with the design flaws ironed out :o

• Registered Users Posts: 238 ✭✭HighWire

Yeah saw that, the 900 II and the 1200.

So what would you recommend then? Tights?
    Dont mind a little increased noise, as long as it helps with the dust.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

I use a hoover.

Open the case and carefully hold the hoover about 10cm over all parts and it gets up all the dust bunnies.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,478 ✭✭✭magick

on the subject of compressed air......

when using it, do u leave ur computer plugged in or out ?
    ive seen websites that have said both.

One time i used compressed while the pc was on and it never effected it, so whats the craic?!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭papu

magick wrote: »
    on the subject of compressed air......

when using it, do u leave ur computer plugged in or out ?
    ive seen websites that have said both.

One time i used compressed while the pc was on and it never effected it, so whats the craic?!

you dont want to be clowing compressed air into spinning fans , especially if they are at full speed it could damage them , turn the pc off to be safe .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 38 Peirn2

Can anyone recommend where to get a can of compressed air for cleaning inside of PC? I've seen cans for cleaning out keyboards and optical drives but I'm not sure if I can use these on motherboard etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭Adder1

Peirn2 wrote: »
    Can anyone recommend where to get a can of compressed air for cleaning inside of PC? I've seen cans for cleaning out keyboards and optical drives but I'm not sure if I can use these on motherboard etc.

Maplins do compressed airdusters page 679 current catalogue (autumn/winter 2008/9)

• Advertisement
Advertisement