Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A chrono'ing method for those with the right gear

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,705 ✭✭✭✭Tigger

I'm new to airsoft, but the physicist in me couldn't resist trying to chrono my new L96 without buying a chrono! (I spent all my money on my gun :p). I got out my laptop and did some tests! I wrote an instructable for all you folks to try this out for yourselves.

http://www.instructables.com/id/AirsoftAirgun_or_other_projectile_throwing_devic/

It isn't perfectly accurate but it should give you a fair idea of what speed and energy your gun is kicking out. It could be adapted to give you rate of fire too!

excellent 1st post

i shall call you kd ver 2.0

• Closed Accounts Posts: 562 ✭✭✭Busta Hyman

well done great work there fellah

i play at the warehouse 1 or 2 times a week so my gun gets well cronoed tho

• Closed Accounts Posts: 116 ✭✭NMC

well done man, interesting stuff!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40 Mauser

thats the wierdest thing i ever heard (no pun intended)
    will have to move the pc and give it a go over the weekend
    told the wife about it and she thinks that i am gone madder then before
    if this test leads to a divorce i owe you a big drink

• Registered Users Posts: 1,287 ✭✭✭kevteljeur

KD actually posted a link on this here previously, when I was asking about chronoing and I tried it myself. It's tricky; misinterpreting the result can make a big difference in the interpreted power output. I'd say that you could use it as a very rough guideline at best.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭An Mac Tíre

Yeah when I wrote the instructable I only meant it to be a rough guide, but you can get some pretty close results. My L96 was clocked at .96 joules in shop, and when I figured out which part of the waveform was when the shot left the barrel and did the maths I got .94 and that was at 5 metres, so it just takes a little time and some common sense to disregard nonsense results.:rolleyes:

(with the shotgun in the photograph I got nearly 2 joules on my first try:eek:, but it isn't even as powerful as the rifle. Looked at it again and got .7 which is much closer.)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40 Mauser

sorry what photograph
    my wife and kids are in the balance

Let me help tip the scales so :D. The photograph of the spring shotgun on the instructable in the link. It's sitting against my blue wall next to my L96 and my crossbow :P. I am writing an extra instructable based on the same method to give you ROF of your gun. I will edit the link into my first post for the sake of making it easy to find.

I'm awfully scatterbrained at the moment (have been sick) so I think of something to post, and when I post I post something entirely different! Last time I'm gonna be the only guy talking in my own thread, I swear;)

If any of you 'softers out there have a gun that you know the power or speed of, and have (or are willing to) try my method, could you please post the results and compare to what my method gives? I'd just like to see how far off my method is. I thought I'd get that type of reply on instructables but they obviously don't have as dedicated an airsoft community on there. I got most of my views on it after I posted a linky here! Thanks in advance folks:)

Advertisement