Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Public sector - Just shut up and take your medicine.

Options
  • 21-02-2009 5:34pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 507 ✭✭✭

TBH i dont care how much public sector employees get levied.

I dont actually know how hard they work apart from people making sh!t up about it without any proof. Im sure its the same as in the private sector. There are wasters and hard workers all in the same office. The wasters think they work hard but its plain to everyone else what a waster they are apart from to themselves. Thats how it has been everywhere ive ever worked and im sure it wont change.

The more they get levied the less i have to pay in income tax.

That is my sole reason for being delighted they that they are getting this levy. Im f-ing ecstatic actually. Less money in the public sectors pocket, more in mine.

We need a victim and the public service are it because they'll shut up eventually and take their medicine.
    The same as the tax payer is the bankers victim.
    All part of the food chain.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,089 ✭✭✭✭P. Breathnach

That's more honest than many of the anti-public sector posts.

Just rememer not to come back crying if ever you feel you are unjustly treated.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 507 ✭✭✭bobbbb

Just rememer not to come back crying if ever you feel you are unjustly treated.

I dont hate the public sector at all. Actually, I think they are totally undervalued.
    Its just us or them is all it is to me. They are the sacrificial lamb so the rest of us can keep our 3 holidays a year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 204 ✭✭dave-higgz

TBH i dont care how much public sector employees get levied.

I dont actually know how hard they work apart from people making sh!t up about it without any proof. Im sure its the same as in the private sector. There are wasters and hard workers all in the same office. The wasters think they work hard but its plain to everyone else what a waster they are apart from to themselves. Thats how it has been everywhere ive ever worked and im sure it wont change.

The more they get levied the less i have to pay in income tax.

That is my sole reason for being delighted they that they are getting this levy. Im f-ing ecstatic actually. Less money in the public sectors pocket, more in mine.

We need a victim and the public service are it because they'll shut up eventually and take their medicine.
    The same as the tax payer is the bankers victim.
    All part of the food chain.

hmm can we get the guards to beat him up and then let the nurses do nothing to help his sorry ass.

This is the kind of attitude we don't need. The days of 3 holidays a year are well and truly over and you better wake up to that fact. It won't be long before our reactionary government wakes up to people like you and you'll see your taxes soar. Rightly so too, because it's clear you can afford it. You should have a bit of heart for the lower paid public sector who keep this country above the water. I know there's a lot of waste and rightly so the public sector needs to take a hit because of their job security however your stupid to think that the levies will make you immune to this recession

LOL
    So true..

• Registered Users Posts: 18,393 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

dave-higgz wrote: »
    I know there's a lot of waste and rightly so the public sector needs to take a hit because of their job security however your stupid to think that the levies will make you immune to this recession

Its not even about waste in the public sector, thats a given, it's a simple equation ,what services can a county afford or not. Unlike the private sector or a family that can adjust their outgoings to meet their income, the state sector lives in a bubble where they can put a gun to your head if you dont "trade" with them , apart from some builders I've heard about in the border regions , the rest of the economy has to make decision based on the reality of the situation, the gov can get away with this in the short term but te consequences will be worse down the road.
    If anyone cheers that the gov doesnt balance the books or increase taxes, then you are cheering double digit mortgage rates in the future

http://www.marketwatch.com/news/story/ireland-default-fears-rise/story.aspx?guid=%7B56269F08-B818-4D69-A704-D73D2E8DE43E%7D&dist=msr_1

Spreads on Ireland's five-year credit default swaps rose to a record 377 basis points on Friday, analysts said. That means it would cost $377,000 a year to insure a notional $10 million of debt against default. That's up from around just $24,000 a year ago.

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Advertisement

dave-higgz wrote: »
    The days of 3 holidays a year are well and truly over and you better wake up to that fact.

Im going on my first one of the year next month. I bet i dont see any sacrificial public servants on it.

Look. I know its not your fault. But the truth is that someone has to take the brunt of it and Brian Lenihan and Brian Cowen have chosen the public sector to take it, so the rest of us wouldnt have to shoulder too much of the burden.

Now we all might get taxed more next year but the public sector will be taxed by that much more too. They will then have taken the pain 3 times (1 % Levy, Pension Levy, PAYE hike) in order that the rest of us only have to take it twice.

The Government will expect the public sector to revolt. You'll march and whinge and go home and that will be that. You wont strike because you're scared to but you'll just threaten to. They are ready for this and will just drop out some of the lower paid from the levy. Leaving anyone over €50k or €60k in it. And then they'll all get back in line like good little public sector workers.

Life is like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭gollem_1975

bobbbb wrote: »
    Im going on my first one of the year next month. I bet i dont see any sacrificial public servants on it.

Look. I know its not your fault. But the truth is that someone has to take the brunt of it and Brian Lenihan and Brian Cowen have chosen the public sector to take it, so the rest of us wouldnt have to shoulder too much of the burden.

Now we all might get taxed more next year but the public sector will be taxed by that much more too. They will then have taken the pain 3 times (1 % Levy, Pension Levy, PAYE hike) in order that the rest of us only have to take it twice.

The Government will expect the public sector to revolt. You'll march and whinge and go home and that will be that. You wont strike because you're scared to but you'll just threaten to. They are ready for this and will just drop out some of the lower paid from the levy. Leaving anyone over €50k or €60k in it. And then they'll all get back in line like good little public sector workers.

Life is like that.

in a previous post you seem almost ecstatic that the public service are being levied and in your last post you seem to be empathising with them.

where are you going on holidays btw ?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,588 ✭✭✭✭Sand

Excellently done Bobbbb, youll have them foaming at the mouth :D

in a previous post you seem almost ecstatic that the public service are being levied and in your last post you seem to be empathising with them.

where are you going on holidays btw ?

Las Vegas.

i am ecstatic about you taking the levy. Its saving me money, to spend gambling on my holidays. Nothing i say will make them stand up for themselves. Oh they'll huff and puff but thats as far as it will go.

What harm telling it like it is. That they are the sacrificial lambs in all this and there is nothing that they will be able to do about it. An they are just full of talk and marches anyway. It will get you nothing but the rope the government are already prepared to let you have. They will give you a little back, but that was their plan all along. Now you are all just going through the motions when its really pointless.

At the end of the day the public service will settle for all or some of the levy, which will save the rest of us some PAYE when that is increased - an increase i might add that will apply to the public sector too - on top of the pension levy.

No point molly coddling them is there.

• Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭*Honey*

OP is a charmer isn't he? :rolleyes:

I only hope your job is very very very secure that you can laugh at everyone else.

Don't expect the public service workers to roll over and play dead on this one - the march today was only the start. There will be other actions.

Not that you'd care of course but hey ho, takes all kinds to make a world.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 204 ✭✭dave-higgz

You'll march and whinge and go home and that will be that.
    Just to be clear, I'm 16 therefore I don't work and my father works in the private sector. Even so I still care about the people that make our society run.
    You wont strike because you're scared to but you'll just threaten to.

There will be strikes and trust me there will be many of them. This week the teachers are balloting on industrial action and while that might mean a day off school for me (I'm in TY), for those sitting exams it could mean a big difference on their results and ultimately isn't any help in creating this "knowledge based economy".
    Fair play that you're well off and can afford multiple holidays, my family gets a annual European holiday and the odd hotel break aswell. However I guess what I'm trying to say is that nobody gives a F*@k.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,362 ✭✭✭K4t

bobbbbbbbbbbbbbb is obviously a ploy by the Public Sector. They're playing reverse psychology here :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭gollem_1975

Sand wrote: »
    Excellently done Bobbbb, youll have them foaming at the mouth :D

yes he is quite the keyboard agent provocateur ;)

*Honey* wrote: »
    OP is a charmer isn't he? :rolleyes:

I only hope your job is very very very secure that you can laugh at everyone else.

Don't expect the public service workers to roll over and play dead on this one - the march today was only the start. There will be other actions.

Not that you'd care of course but hey ho, takes all kinds to make a world.

Dont worry yourself about my job. I'll worry about that.
    March. Who cares?

In the end you'll be levied. Why not face up to reality and stay home where its warm instead of wasting your time.

There is nothing i hate more than someone who wont face reality and goes through false worthless actions to get an outcome thats already been pre-defined. What a waste of effort.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,373 ✭✭✭Dr Galen

i see...........so according to yourself OP, people should lay down and take what's coming to them like good little minions of the state?

Whether I'm in agreement with the levy or not, that's a pretty dangerous attitude to have as to how a democratic country like ours should operate. The electorate have a right to peaceful protest and demonstration, with the idea of changing policy of the government of the day. TBH we as a people have done far too much lying down and taking it from successive governments over a period of years, about time the Irish people grew some and stood up for something instead of the usual, ahhhhhhhh suure whats da point, attitude

i see...........so according to yourself OP, people should lay down and take what's coming to them like good little minions of the state?/quote]

Thats not what im saying at all.
    Im saying sh!t or or get off the potty.

The public sector are just sitting on the potty wasting everyones time.

I know the people of Ireland. They will lie down and take it in the end after all the huff and puff. Its just the way we are. You know and i know how it will turn out. They are just goign through pre-defied actions, thats all.

i see.........i think i understand you know alright.

It seems we are in agreement on the fact that the Irish people have been great at passivity for the last while.

Question for you then.......would you prefer that in this instance, they actually did show some stones, and didn't roll over when it all came down to it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 831 ✭✭✭achtungbarry

OP, are you Ulick McEvaddy ?

i see.........i think i understand you know alright.

It seems we are in agreement on the fact that the Irish people have been great at passivity for the last while.

Question for you then.......would you prefer that in this instance, they actually did show some stones, and didn't roll over when it all came down to it?

They are like the guy in an arguement whose 6 stone girlfriend is holding him back and hes saying "let me at him."
    He just doesnt really want to fight if shes able to hold him back.

Im always up for people to show some stones and would love to see it. As its always nice to see people standing up for themselves. But there is a reason the public sector have been chosen for this rather than a more fair across the board tax hike. They are being tested, (as they are the strongest group in the country hat could possibly stand up to this treatment). And that is that they will not show stones at all. im sure of that. Im also sure that their unions have already done a deal with the devil on this too.

And if they are not willing to stand and fight it then im happy for the rewards that i get in less of a PAYE hike because of it.

6 of one half dozen of the other really.
    Id like to see some brass, but i benefit from not seeing it too.

so you pretty much have no opinion then? That about right??

• Advertisement

so you pretty much have no opinion then? That about right??

No. Its not about right.

• Registered Users Posts: 763 ✭✭✭F-Stop

bobbbb is a trollll

• Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭*Honey*

F-Stop wrote: »
    bobbbb is a trollll

Most intelligent statement I've seen on this thread yet!!! ;)

F-Stop wrote: »
    bobbbb is a trollll

Ahhh, the answer to any argument you cant back down from.

Why dont you tell me what the public service have acheived? Nothing, but what the government is already prepared to let them acheive.

Tell me, will they end up paying the levy? Yes

Will the public sector paying the levy make PAYE payers take less of a hit? Yes.

Is it fair? No, but thems the breaks.

So what is the point of all this pointless marching and posturing. The result will be he same in the end.

*Honey* wrote: »
    Most intelligent statement I've seen on this thread yet!!! ;)

Another whinger tamed into posting stupid comments instead of answering questions or biting back. A public servant i dare say.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,576 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

Aren't all the CPSU's members on stirke this coming Thursday Bobbbb?

I believe the PSEU are going on stirke around the same time alright.

jonny24ie wrote: »
    Aren't all the CPSU's members on stirke this coming Thursday Bobbbb?

I believe the PSEU are going on stirke around the same time alright.

wow, and we know where that will go dont we.
    If the unions hearts were in it they would have got together and had an all out strike all together.

This dribs and drabs approach, so the government can go "Ouch, that really hurt us, we'll take anyone on less than 20,000 out of the levy" is what the government want.

They can pretend they gave in and the unions can pretend they stood up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 48 hughs

bobbbb wrote: »
    Ahhh, the answer to any argument you cant back down from.

Why dont you tell me what the public service have acheived? Nothing, but what the government is already prepared to let them acheive.

Tell me, will they end up paying the levy? Yes

Will the public sector paying the levy make PAYE payers take less of a hit? Yes.

Is it fair? No, but thems the breaks.

So what is the point of all this pointless marching and posturing. The result will be he same in the end.

Why is everyone wasting their time replying to this guys comments. He obviously is not interested in having a mature debate.

hughs wrote: »
    Why is everyone wasting their time replying to this guys comments. He obviously is not interested in having a mature debate.

Nobody has told me of any coherent action from all of the public service unions.
    Do you know of any? Be mature, out with it.

I think you know the outcome of the marches too, only too well.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 438 ✭✭gerry28

In the end you'll be levied. Why not face up to reality and stay home where its warm instead of wasting your time.

So you will take whatever this donkey of a government will throw at you bobbbb?? Good luck to you with that attitude.

I no longer trust or respect this government, so I won't just roll over and take whatever harebrained scheme they pull from the hat.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement