Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

potty training hamsters??

Options
  • 21-02-2009 6:06pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 25

i recently got two russian dwarf hamsters and have noticed that they like to use their wheel as a toilet. they both like to run on the wheel which adds to the problem, its not nice to have bits of poo flying around and i have found that when they come off their wheel they sometimes gets bits stuck on them :rolleyes:

is there any way i can persuade them to use another area of the cage?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

Should be able to potty train them, at least you can with Syrian hamsters so I'm guessing dwarfs should be as well.

If you remove their wheel and rub some litter (a different kind than what's on the base of their cage) on the wee and put to one side, then clean the wheel itself (white vinegar is great and safe) then get a plastic tray or a hamster loo and rub the urine on it and pop it in a corner, they should start peeing in it, they can poop everywhere so poop wise it might not work.

Most pet shops sell hammie loos and refills I used to use chinchilla sand to refill it.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Good tips there, thanks. I've had dwarves before that would just go to the loo in the wheel and then start to run. They did also have a regular toilet corner. Other than keeping the wheel clean, I didn't know what to do.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 842 ✭✭✭Lauragoesmad

I used to keep hamsters when I was little and we always used jam jars as toilets for them. Very handy to clean and they wont chew glass.

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭kazza90210

I use to use jam jars to, clean the wheel and remove all the urine n feaces, then place some urine and feaces in the jam jar and they should start using it for all toileting needs. when your cleaning it leave a tiny bit of soiled stuff in the jar to encourage use.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25 little red

thanks for the tips, i have done as you said Guineapigrescue and have bought a little hamster potty so hopefully they will soon get the hint lol

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,810 ✭✭✭ergonomics

I have a hamster potty for my hamster and she uses it very well. The only thing is I cleaned it today, as I do every couple of days, and Daisy decided it would make a great bed so now she's sleeping in there! Silly thing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25 little red

ergonomics wrote: »
    I have a hamster potty for my hamster and she uses it very well. The only thing is I cleaned it today, as I do every couple of days, and Daisy decided it would make a great bed so now she's sleeping in there! Silly thing.

lol when i first put the potty in the two of them seemed to think it was a dust bath. bit of a disappointment for them!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26 whitneysegura

Yeah... I dont think you can potty train a hamster, they are just too dumb!

Advertisement