Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BBall clubs in City Centre

Options
  • 21-02-2009 6:22pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3

Hey Lads,

Moved up here from college to start work a few months ago.Have been looking for a club n the city centre (or even a place to play friendly matches) but with no success.

Anybody got some advice or some contact details?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,391 ✭✭✭jozi

I'd be interested in knowing the same.

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 568 ✭✭✭phil

Most clubs play just outside the city centre, the closest court available I'm aware of is the Oblates in Ichicore. Rathmines club train & play there. If you're closer to the northside, you may be better off going up to somewhere like Vincents, Tolka or Declans in Cabra.

Whereabouts in the city centre are you? Might be able to advise a bit more... you hardly want to be travelling to Vincents or Tolka if you're near the south circular.

• Registered Users Posts: 568 ✭✭✭phil

Most clubs play just outside the city centre, the closest court available I'm aware of is the Oblates in Ichicore. Rathmines club train & play there. If you're closer to the northside, you may be better off going up to somewhere like Vincents, Tolka or Declans in Cabra.

Whereabouts in the city centre are you? Might be able to advise a bit more... you hardly want to be travelling to Vincents or Tolka if you're near the south circular.

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭BRM

Depends on your level, most clubs in Dublin have 2-3 teams at different levels but youll find the majority of them have a roster of 7-8 players min so it might be difficult to a game unless your fully committed to the team as it is competitive basketball at all levels.

I know a lot of the colleges in dublin now have mens/womens division teams and they tend to be more open to new players as college players come and go every season.

Another good place to look would be the dublin sports website for more relaxed sessions, pay as you play sort of thing.

http://www.dublinindoorsports.ie/basketballhome.php

• Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭Xrox

Hi,

I play and coach for Tolka were situated on Griffth Ave extension, (north city centre 19,19a go close to it) the park is called Frank Cooke Park. We have an open session that will run all summer long on tuesday evenings from 8.30 on ye are more than welcome, as the summer goes on a thursday session is generally added too. This will continue until after the summer where then trials for teams of varing levels begin ahead of the season.

Please feel free to contact me or just drop in im there every tuesday just ask for Ren.

http://www.tolkaroversbasketball.com/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14 QuinnyC

Hi Xrox.

I saw this post and it interested me. I used to play for tolka until about I was 19. Have been back scrimmaging over the last year or so and would like to get back playing. What divisions are you guys entering in for next season.

Is that session already strated for the summer now.

I sent Tharran a text last week and he said he would let me know when scrimmage starts.

Been looking for a club and def be up for going back to tolka.

Hey,

The scrimmage at the moment is only on, on the tuesday night at 8.30 but once everyone is done with exams and have got a break after the end of the last season well be running tuesday and thursday evenings.

Scrimmage for the summer is open to all players of the senior club then as it comes to the start of the next season about 4 months away (plenty of time to get back in shape.... i hope). Then depending on the number of players and skill levels we decide what leagues would be best to enter. Last year there was a National league team, and a dublin division one team, depending on numbers this could become a national league ,dub d1 and d2 or if there isnt good numbers national league and dub d1 or d2.

Tharren has been talking about setting up a team more interested in playing just for the fun of playing for some of the older players entering them in a lower league like 3 or 5.

IF you have anymore questions just ask, hope to see you next tuesday in tolka at 8.30

Ren

Cheers Mate,

Got my fitness back a good bit over the last couple years. So hoping to play play at at deacent level for the next few years. Def be D1 Or D2 dublin is as high as I would be going.

Sure I will come up next tue.

Thanks for all the info.

Well youll be aiming to be my team mate so which is good need some fresh blood especially young fit people like you sound.

if you feel a little lost just ask for Ren i.e. me

C'ya Tuesday

Not 2 sure about the young mate be 28 by time next season starts. But missed out on around 6 or seven good years of bball due to lazyness so def wanna go at it for a few good years while I can.

See ya Tues.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,150 ✭✭✭kumate_champ07

Xrox wrote: »
    Hey,

The scrimmage at the moment is only on, on the tuesday night at 8.30 but once everyone is done with exams and have got a break after the end of the last season well be running tuesday and thursday evenings.

Scrimmage for the summer is open to all players of the senior club then as it comes to the start of the next season about 4 months away (plenty of time to get back in shape.... i hope). Then depending on the number of players and skill levels we decide what leagues would be best to enter. Last year there was a National league team, and a dublin division one team, depending on numbers this could become a national league ,dub d1 and d2 or if there isnt good numbers national league and dub d1 or d2.

Tharren has been talking about setting up a team more interested in playing just for the fun of playing for some of the older players entering them in a lower league like 3 or 5.

IF you have anymore questions just ask, hope to see you next tuesday in tolka at 8.30

Ren

need any 6ft 3 285lb power forwards? prob too short for a center depending on what league ill be playin in. i might drop by some tuesday, was playin every thurs with some friends for the past 3months but we cant get the numbers anymore and the hall price went up too much.

Everyone is welcome so come on down we had a good session tonight so you missed out and dont worry we have some good big strong players so youll have some competition. Which im sure will make it more enjoyable for you better than beating on us little guys. :D

Hope to see you next tuesday

Ren

P.s. hall is free as its our own club hall, so no charge for players looking to play all we ask is you pay the membership when it comes to joining a team next season

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,150 ✭✭✭kumate_champ07

Xrox wrote: »
    Everyone is welcome so come on down we had a good session tonight so you missed out and dont worry we have some good big strong players so youll have some competition. Which im sure will make it more enjoyable for you better than beating on us little guys. :D

Hope to see you next tuesday

Ren

great! i want to fight for rebounds, thats what i miss most. i played for pbs newbridge and quit when i was 17 after 6th yr. played with kilnamanagh, paul cummins and ian o boyle were on that team as well as my school team.

ha ha im sorry to tell you, you may have to do more than fight like scratch claw and bite some of these guys as they are oxs :p Put it this way one of our polish guys is called The Yack!!! :eek:

Advertisement