Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Adams invites Labour, Greens to join SF in 'new alliance'

Options
  • 21-02-2009 6:31pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭

Sinn Féin President Gerry Adams has called on Labour and the Greens to join his party in "a new alliance for change" which would provide "an egalitarian alternative to the politics of greed, inefficiency, waste and corruption".

In his presidential address to the party's ardfheis (annual conference) in Dublin today he said: "I believe the time is right for a new alliance of all people and parties that want real and fundamental change."

The replacement of the current coalition by another arrangement, with Fine Gael as the main party, would be "like replacing Tweedledum with Tweedledee". He added: "In my view the Labour Party has a duty not to prop up either Fianna Fáil or Fine Gael.

"Instead Labour should explore with us and others the potential for co-operation in the future.

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/breaking/2009/0221/breaking33.htm

Do ye think it's possible to have a Labour/SF/Green government, presumably involving independents too? The last Irish Times poll put Labour at 24%, Sinn Fein at 9%, Greens at 4%, and Independents at 9%. That's 46%.
    I think it's conceivable, if there were to be a general election in the next couple of weeks, but highly unlikely. Fianna Fáil support would have to stay low, and FG would have to drop too (though consider in the same IT poll it was down 2%).

That said, I think the electorate would find a Green/SF government fairly unpalatable given the Greens performance so far in the current government, and SF's...hmm...baggage.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭Serenity Now!

Tom65 wrote: »
    http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/breaking/2009/0221/breaking33.htm

Do ye think it's possible to have a Labour/SF/Green government, presumably involving independents too? The last Irish Times poll put Labour at 24%, Sinn Fein at 9%, Greens at 4%, and Independents at 9%. That's 46%.
    I think it's conceivable, if there were to be a general election in the next couple of weeks, but highly unlikely. Fianna Fáil support would have to stay low, and FG would have to drop too (though consider in the same IT poll it was down 2%).

That said, I think the electorate would find a Green/SF government fairly unpalatable given the Greens performance so far in the current government, and SF's...hmm...baggage.

In Ireland, coalitions are formed to keep the Shinners and their likes out of any sniff at govt office so no, not a chance.
    Personally speaking, I wouldn't vote for them if they went in league with the Dalai Lama.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88 ✭✭dhorgan3

In Ireland, coalitions are formed to keep the Shinners and their likes out of any sniff at govt office so no, not a chance.
    Personally speaking, I wouldn't vote for them if they went in league with the Dalai Lama.

Out of interest who would you vote for? Since we know who u wouldn't vote for..

Hes dead right though...fine geal would probably be worse than fianna fail if anything..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭Serenity Now!

dhorgan3 wrote: »
    Out of interest who would you vote for? Since we know who u wouldn't vote for..

That would be my business, wouldn't it? I actually went independent on somebody who is not part of these homogenous mainstream parties who have been in power. Not only that but they also have never been in a political wing representing the PIRA.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,469 ✭✭✭guinnessdrinker

I'm not sure if FG would be worse than FF. Right now I'm not sure if any party would be worse. I would like to see change though and would not lose sleep if a Labour/SF/Green coalition came about.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 823 ✭✭✭MG

Hes dead right though...fine geal would probably be worse than fianna fail if anything..

Ah yeah let's keep Fianna Fail, apart from whole ruining the country, they're clearly the best.

Isn't it this kind of "thinking" the reason we have had nearly 12 disasterous rule

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,082 ✭✭✭lostexpectation

2 terrorists in coalition!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,365 ✭✭✭spoonbadger

Did no-one else hear gerry adam's rant about republicanism and a united ireland?. *Thats* the biggest reason i wont be voting for sinn fein. They have warped priorities, wrong aims and a very biased viewpoint. There are too many problems in the country already, before we start digging up 100-year-old political vendettas.

At least FF and FG are somewhat interested in the *real* problems here. Sure, they care more about their cushy jobs, keeping the cash in their wallets and keeping their TDs in the front benches, but i dread to think what would happen if Mr. Adams got his hands on the steering wheel.

As weird as it sounds, i think labour and the greens are our only hope :\

• Closed Accounts Posts: 823 ✭✭✭MG

If this coalition comes to power, we may as well all just emigrate.

did the hour of tv have speech from caimhin O'C in it?

• Advertisement

MG wrote: »
    Ah yeah let's keep Fianna Fail, apart from whole ruining the country, they're clearly the best.

Isn't it this kind of "thinking" the reason we have had nearly 12 disasterous rule

No, you misunderstand...id never vote for either of them...
    Labour all the way..

Did no-one else hear gerry adam's rant about republicanism and a united ireland?. *Thats* the biggest reason i wont be voting for sinn fein. They have warped priorities, wrong aims and a very biased viewpoint. There are too many problems in the country already, before we start digging up 100-year-old political vendettas.

At least FF and FG are somewhat interested in the *real* problems here. Sure, they care more about their cushy jobs, keeping the cash in their wallets and keeping their TDs in the front benches, but i dread to think what would happen if Mr. Adams got his hands on the steering wheel.

As weird as it sounds, i think labour and the greens are our only hope :\
    sf contend a united ireland would have better economy, which is a fair point

• Registered Users Posts: 24,077 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

Isn't FG also riddled with dynasties, as well as retired GAA personalities?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,365 ✭✭✭spoonbadger

sf contend a united ireland would have better economy, which is a fair point
    But it aint gonna happen. Ever. And the time/effort spent on such a white elephant could be better used elsewhere!.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,759 ✭✭✭✭dlofnep

SF has and would have my vote.

But it aint gonna happen. Ever. And the time/effort spent on such a white elephant could be better used elsewhere!.

our economies are merging more and more everyday. already

• Registered Users Posts: 1,041 ✭✭✭José Alaninho

dlofnep wrote: »
    SF has and would have my vote.

+1

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

I like the way a man who has no electoral mandate in this state makes such a call.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 507 ✭✭✭bobbbb

oops

mike65 wrote: »
    I like the way a man who has no electoral mandate in this state makes such a call.

He is the leader of a party which covers the 32 counties of Ireland. He can make whatever call he sees fit.

• Advertisement

He should feck off back up North and SF should elect a leader from the ROI for ROI business.

As for his proposition, its clearly an offer he knows will be turned down but it gets da meeja talking about SF so he's happy.

He should feck off back up North and SF should elect a leader from the ROI for ROI business.

All-Ireland party. 32 counties.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,509 ✭✭✭population

I would vote for a Left coaltion.

Can it really be any worse than what we have been served up since the formation of the state????

All-Ireland party. 32 counties.

So what? The next election to change the government of the ROI takes place in the ROI, whats hard to understand about that?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭Jimbo

I'm afraid it's fairly inconcievable to have a government without FF or FG.
    Sinn Fein should be siding with FG if they ever want a chance of being in government.

So what? The next election to change the government of the ROI takes place in the ROI, whats hard to understand about that?

He is the leader of a party which covers the 32 counties of Ireland. It is his business to cover both the 26 and 6 counties. Whats hard to understand about that?

I'm sure our northern friends would love to hear "Feck back up the north". Lovely attitude.

Sinn Fein should be siding with FG if they ever want a chance of being in government.

:D

SF would never enter Government with FG.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,373 ✭✭✭Dr Galen

dlofnep wrote: »

I'm sure our northern friends would love to hear "Feck back up the north". Lovely attitude.

i'm a northerner living in Dublin for many years, and I agree that he should feck off back home.

The statement regarding the labour and greens link up was nothing more than a media attention garnering, bandwagon jump. You can't honestly think that
    a) it would ever happen and b) even if it did, that it would work out for the good

• Advertisement

Ireland is his home.

Advertisement